New Cover Pic

threedeesix

I have to agree. I think "more modern" would mean "less busy". In fact, I would prefer (perhaps in the minority) a cover without pictures, but rather with a very simple logo or icon. And nothing else.

Something akin to the collector's edition of the Warhammer RPG:

wfrp_corerulebook_ce.jpg

Obviously, BRP couldn't be this basic--you'd have to add some text--but why not just a simple, confident riff on the Chaosium dragon logo with "d100" or "BRP" underneath it? (By "dragon logo" I mean the image that appears in the upper-left corner of Chaosium's site.

You are right. I would do it in this way too if I dont have an absolutely first class picture available. One basic colour (black, red or maybe dark blue) and a silver or gold imprint. (or maybe as non-color relief imprint) I would place in prominent font size the name BRP or d100 and a smaller chaosium logo on the front cover and not much else. Simple and iconic. Additional info could be printed on the backcover. This would also show the "basicness" of the rules inside. :)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What you are suggesting sounds like the HERO 5th edition. It is black with silver and green print and a green HERO symbol right in the middle. While it is not bad, I actually wouldn't do that for BRP.

I also would not copy the D&D model and go with a faux book cover. You know, printing a picture on the book so that the book looks like a... well... fancier book. :P

I think a little artwork on the front would be good, but maybe it shouldn't take up the whole cover. Have it be more of a framed look, maybe with a large Chaosium symbol on there as well and the name printed at the top.

Oh well, I'd buy it if it depicted a steaming pile of crap on the cover, so I may not be the best authority. :D

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell (1872 - 1970)

30/420

I just read an interesting post from Jason over there at rpg.net about our little ugly cover (Jason, I hope its ok for you that I am going to post this here)

"Here's the skinny - the guys at Chaosium are aware of the public reaction to the most recent cover and are mulling over some options. The fantasy sorcerer cover was just a placeholder image from a while ago, and is a reuse of a monograph cover.

I can't go into details about them, but there has been progress. If things go the way I hope they're leaning, I may be very pleased. (Jason Durall)

I'm not really impressed by the cover either, especially the font and the extraneous comma. I like the idea of an image combining genres in a sort of "science-fantasy" way (Trigan Empire, yes, exactly!) but I'd go for a more stark, framed and largely monochrome + 1 colour design.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

tee hee.

is it nice?

Remains to be seen.

I saw a new cover sketch almost 7 weeks ago that had a lot of promise, loosely based on a detailed concept I suggested.

There was some feedback to the artist - I'm not sure if it was acted upon, or what the artist's finished art style looks like (he had a name unfamiliar to me, and I couldn't find any examples of his published work).