Sorcery--Magnitude...help

Eddy

Can someone explain just how Magnitude works, If the Sorceror casts his spell using Invocation against an opponents Willpower (for exmple). He uses his Shaping points to add (say) 3 points to the Magnitude, just what does this do. I have read and read the Magic chapters over and over again but Runequest 6 doesn't really give a proper explanation as to what happens when someone casts a spell. Any help here will be greatly appreciated as my group are tentatively moving over to RQ6  from the 80's RQ2 but this is just bugging me. I'm not sure what Intensity is either....and I really want to run with RQ6 with my Harn setting but can't seem to get anywhere...

Intensity is the effect of the spell. 

Magnitude is something like the spell's weight. The more Magnitude it has, the more likely it is to punch through magical defences. 

By itself, increasing Magnitude does nothing to the spell so the only time a sorcerer increases Magnitude is when they expect to face magical defences. Magnitude is in many ways the least commonly useful shaping art but when you need it, you really need it. 

Important to realise that unlike previous RQ, Intensity and Magnitude are now separate. In sorcery, Intensity is automatically gained from the sorcerer's skill while Magnitude has to be added using shaping. 

Thanks for the quick reply but I must be really stupid because I still don't understand why anyone would put shaping points on Magnitude. Just how does it "punch through magical defences" does it make the invocation role "easier" by a certain percentage.  I need  a mechanic for this.

Counterspells and magical wards will generally defeat spells cast at them with a Magnitude equal to or less than a ward's Intensity.

Most of the time you don't need to bother with a spell's Magnitude. But when you're up against opponents with magical defenses, it can be a good thing.

Let's say that a wizard is wanting to cast an offensive spell against a high priest who has Dismiss Magic active. The Dismiss Magic's Magnitude is 6. Any spell the wizard casts against the priest that is equal to or less than 6 in Magnitude is going to automatically fail. The wizard therefore needs to shape his spell to include a Magnitude of 7 to be able to overcome the Dismiss Magic miracle and visit unrighteous harm on the high priest.

There are other examples of course, but this is perhaps the most archetypal.

• Like 2

The Design Mechanism: Publishers of Mythras

DM logo Freeforums Icon.png

• 4 years later...

I'm still a bit lost after reading these posts a few times.  What is Intensity used for?  As I understand it a sorcerer can make a number of alterations to a spell equal to 1/10 his shaping skill and that each alteration costs a further magic point.  Are Intensity points used to make free alterations?

No, the intensity of the spell’s purpose depends on the spell itself. Intensity might govern how much of a substance you can animate or shape, or it might govern how much damage comes from a damaging spell. Damage resistance gives you a number of armor points equal to the intensity of the spell, for example. 

• Like 1

(Ninjaed by Raleel)

Intensity isn't used for Shaping at all, and it doesn't grant any free alterations. Intensity is equal to 1/10th the Invocation skill (which is the sorcerer's ability to effectively cast a spell). Intensity is usually a passive measurement that tells you what it can influence. You usually find the specifics for how Intensity is used within the description of the spell itself. For example, the Animate (Substance) spell allows the sorcerer to animate an object with a maximum SIZ of three times the spell’s Intensity.

Hope this helps!

• Like 1

The Design Mechanism: Publishers of Mythras

DM logo Freeforums Icon.png