I bought a "setting book", what now ?

olvirki

Good day and sorry if you receive topics like this often, if this is in the wrong subforum or if I missed a megathread of questions like this.

Now, last week I bought Mythic Iceland and intend to run a game of it next summer when I am off from school.

From what I have gathered the book I bought is a setting supplement. It has rules specific to the setting but I don't see the basic rules needed to play or run the game. I know this is basic roleplaying but some rules must be missing :).

So where to next ? There ? And if so, is there somewhere online where I don't have to put in my credential for this free pdf :) ?

http://www.chaosium.com/chaosium-free-downloads-center/?sort=featured&page=1

This is the Chaosium free download page, on it you will find pdf's for BRP quikstart, Magic World quikstart and a couple of Mythic Iceland adventures.

If you need someting in print there are links on that page for printed copies for The Big Gold Book which is a large toolkit for running any genra of BRP games and Magic world which is a fantasy focused BRP rule set.

I hope this helps.

Miles

I see you have the link to the quikstart rules. you can get them from Drivethru RPG I find its better to get pdf's from them than Chaosium.

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/82093/Basic-Roleplaying-Quickstart-Edition?term=BRP+qui

Edited by Vexthug

OK let's see if we can make it clearer. Most games have a set of core rules and books with various settings. These settings books contain setting specific rules and sometimes at least a basic or introductory adventure. The core rules are Basic Role Playing by Chaosium and the term basic may have confused you as the BRP book (BGB)  is some hundreds of pages long. The quickstart rules either from Chaosium or DriveThru RPG will get you going but don't necessarily contain  things like comprehensive character generation or many of the rules in the full book although they may contain some pre-generated characters for the introductory adventure within the Quickstart rules (sometimes there is one and sometimes not).

According to this review of Mythic Icelend it suggest that you need the Basic Roleplying book for complete character generation so obviously Mythic Iceland has some special rules but relies on the core book for many details. The review does say that getting the quickstart rules will be good enough to use for the setting.

The review suggest to me that this isn't necessarily a book for a newbie so you may find some things difficult to deal with unless you have a good amount of tabletop RPG experience (and the fact that you mention school seems to me to possible indicate you may be fairly new to this type of game).

Come back and ask questions if you need help.

Nigel

Yes, most of the setting books for Basic Roleplaying (BRP) do not contain the core rules, as they are designed to be used with the rules.

The Quickstart rules should be fine for most things.

If you need extra rules for things, then the BRP Rulebook is worth getting.

If you don't mind converting some rules, then Legend and RQ6 are similar enough to use with other BRP Supplements.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and clarifications :).

Ok, think I will use the quick start and mythic rules to begin with and will go towards the basic roleplaying book if need be.

The review suggest to me that this isn't necessarily a book for a newbie so you may find some things difficult to deal with unless you have a good amount of tabletop RPG experience (and the fact that you mention school seems to me to possible indicate you may be fairly new to this type of game).

Come back and ask questions if you need help.

For the record I am not *that* young :). When I said school I was referring to university and I have a few years of pen and paper experience on me, most of that as a D&D player but I did DM one campaign of pathfinder.

And yeah, will ask again if anything comes up, thanks.

Having a few years of D&D and Pathfinder may not prepare you for what will be a completely different game that is far more gritty and unforgiving. Still come back if you have issues.

Yeah, but I think I will just jump the deep end of the pool. Will come back if I run into something.

You say the game is gritty and unforgiving, do you mean the game is more dangerous for the players ?

No large numbers of hit points, static Health number usually in the 10-15 range. Weapon damage averages about 5 per hit. Combat is deadly and healing almost non-existent. It's nothing like D&D or Pathfinder and requires a very different style of play.

Nigel

No large numbers of hit points, static Health number usually in the 10-15 range. Weapon damage averages about 5 per hit. Combat is deadly and healing almost non-existent. It's nothing like D&D or Pathfinder and requires a very different style of play.

Yeah thats no problem. I like deadly battles and little healing.

As I said I will be DM/GM-ing and I think there will be few battles (that's partly up to me and partly up to the players, since they can go around attacking everyone if they so desire) and when battles occur the battles will probably just be one at a time, similar to how things are in the sagas. If they die I will probably let players play one of their relatives, similar to Crusader Kings.

Yeah thats no problem. I like deadly battles and little healing.

As I said I will be DM/GM-ing and I think there will be few battles (that's partly up to me and partly up to the players, since they can go around attacking everyone if they so desire) and when battles occur the battles will probably just be one at a time, similar to how things are in the sagas. If they die I will probably let players play one of their relatives, similar to Crusader Kings.

I have only been playing BRP (Magic World specifically) a few months (and have very little experience) so take this for what its worth...

My longtime, seasoned, highly intelligent D&D group moved over to BRP and I took 15 minutes of game time to stress that this was a different game and that it was much more realistic.  I told them if you would avoid a fight in real-life you should avoid it in the game world as well. I even explained the various tactics available to them in combat... It didn't do one bit of good.

In the second game they attacked a party that I meant for them to avoid. Two of the party members got killed, one was captured, and two ended up running. Now after putting a new party together they are much more careful and never blindly rush to battle.  I am just sorry it took two character deaths for them to figure that out.

Since I want my characters to be a bit tougher than normal we use the rule for heroic hit points. It basically doubles the number of hit points and it still didn't save the party in their first battle.  You might want to consider doing the same..

Good luck,

I am REALLY enjoying BRP...

Check out our homebrew rules for freeform magic in BRP ->

No reason for Ars Magica players to have all the fun!

As mentioned, an alternative to the BRP rules is Runequest 6. The Design Mechanism has a really excellent "Pay What you like" Runequest Essentials, which has a generous amount of the complete ruleset (more than enough to play) and is beautifully layed out. You can download it for free and try it out before you decide to donate or not, here:

http://www.thedesignmechanism.com/downloads.php

There is also a free intro adventure there too.