Järn (iron)

Here's a quick translation of the BRP bits:

"Järn* is based on BRP, or Basic Roleplaying. BRP is a traditional set of rules that must be considered the traditional Swedish rule system.

BRP is quite intuitive and beginner-friendly because it uses percentile dice or twenty-sided dice rolled below a skill value, and it is easy to modify. It also has drawbacks in its original form, including:

- a number of basic stats that are barely used
- derived values that follow a different set of rules
- a tendency to be expanded so that it becomes cumbersome and complicated
- a resistance table
- quite boring battles

With Järn we have tried to make a BRP that retains the advantages but lacks the drawbacks."

*= Järn is Swedish for iron, related among others to the celtic/old irish íarn. The words for iron often come from words meaning god and wrath - and the oldest known iron is interestingly meteoric in origin! It took another 2500 years before mining was invented.

1683589267_frostbyteloggaFsvarttiny2.jpg.22ebd7480630737e74be9c2c9ed8039f.jpg   FrostByte Books

M–SPACE   d100 Roleplaying in the Far Future

Odd Soot  Science Fiction Mystery in the 1920s

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a quick translation of the BRP bits:

. It also has drawbacks in its original form, including:

- a number of basic stats that are barely used
- derived values that follow a different set of rules
- a tendency to be expanded so that it becomes cumbersome and complicated
- a resistance table
- quite boring battles

Thanks for the translation. Not sure I agree about the supposed drawbacks, though.

- a number of basic stats that are barely used -> Well, you're supposed to use them with the resistance table!

- derived values that follow a different set of rules -> Not sure what they mean here. But, if they mean that in the old BRP Magic World the derived values are class dependent that is a feature for me. Like, only Warriors start with Ride at DEX x5% and only Sages start with 3 languages at INTx5%. It's an elegant way to deal with professions and skill bonuses - flavorful and less fiddly than RQ's skill category modifiers.

- a resistance table -> Actually, I love it. Creative GMs can set potencies to all sort of physical or abstract obstacles: like the snobbishness at the party is POT 20 vs Charisma.

- quite boring battles -> Never, ever had this problem. The constant threat of dying is enough for the players to devise all sort of crazy tactics and far fetched plans. Sure, if I want tactical RULES I'm not going to play BRP, but D&D4!

Edited by smiorgan
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have read the first review of the game in the popular RPG magazine here in Sweden called Fenix and this is what I gleaned from the review regarding the rules:

- Stats are left out completely. Only skills.

- Three health pools: Health, Soul and Energy.

- The characters belong to a clan that is created cooperatively by the players.

- Opposed rolls (highest success wins).

- Combat includes something called Stance, affecting it quite a lot it seems.

It's getting a very positive reception - it is after all one of Sweden's top RPG writers that put Järn together (Krister Sundelin). He writes on his website that he wondered if he could create a version of BRP "that he could live with" and set out designing Järn the following weeks. I guess he liked what he came up with. I will probably buy this one as soon as it is available and can tell you more about the BRP changes and how they work.

1683589267_frostbyteloggaFsvarttiny2.jpg.22ebd7480630737e74be9c2c9ed8039f.jpg   FrostByte Books

M–SPACE   d100 Roleplaying in the Far Future

Odd Soot  Science Fiction Mystery in the 1920s

• 4 months later...

I received my copy of this last week. So far, I like it a lot. It's very cooperative in nature: before you can make up characters, all the players jointly create the game world (or at least the home area) and then their characters' clan. It's heavily inspired by northern Europe towards the end of the Roman period, but it looks very flexible if you'd prefer a different background. I regret not going for any of the add-ons in the crowdfunder.

• Like 2