Multiple Attacks House-rule

KPhan2121

I've recently read the old thread post of Ripostes by Jason and thinking about implementing it into my game

It got me thinking about multiple attacks in a turn. How about every successful attack now incurs a cumulative -30 penalty and you could keep making attacks until that penalty puts your attack at 0% or less or you run out of initiative(Been using the roll d10 to initiative rule). This penalty also stacks with the riposte penalties. 

Of course this means that the martial arts skill rule needs to be modified a bit, perhaps it also suffers from the -30 penalty from successful attacks as well.

I'm liking this idea as a house rule since combat goes faster as characters will very high skills can do a lot of damage, characters with low skills will have multiple chances to land an attack.

I may explore this house rule as an alternative combat system as a faster, if somewhat more detailed approach to combat. 

You like Fading Suns? Well, I made a thing that's kinda like it!

I've recently read the old thread post of Ripostes by Jason and thinking about implementing it into my game

It got me thinking about multiple attacks in a turn. How about every successful attack now incurs a cumulative -30 penalty and you could keep making attacks until that penalty puts your attack at 0% or less or you run out of initiative(Been using the roll d10 to initiative rule). This penalty also stacks with the riposte penalties. 

Of course this means that the martial arts skill rule needs to be modified a bit, perhaps it also suffers from the -30 penalty from successful attacks as well.

I'm liking this idea as a house rule since combat goes faster as characters will very high skills can do a lot of damage, characters with low skills will have multiple chances to land an attack.

I may explore this house rule as an alternative combat system as a faster, if somewhat more detailed approach to combat. 

I have thought about something like this too, but only for those that dual-wield, and only if they give up defense. Also, each hand is its own skill, so if the off-hand is lower, the penalty is to that value.  >:>

SDLeary

• Like 1

Would you be making those accumulative -30% attacks within the same DEX SR, or would they occur every 5 SR after your intial DEX SR?

The later would work better, I would think. More consistent with other rules about actions during a combat round.

I can't see much benefits either way, it could almost be a mute point.

By having multiple attacks within the same combat round it means that you will take less actual combat rounds to resolve combat, so it is quicker in game time.

However the time taken to resolve such in real time won't change much, as you still will be rolling those attacks within a single combat round or so.

It sounds reasonable in theory, but it practice it may not really make much difference to the time taken to resolve combat,and may make working out melee order a little more cumbersome.

I think I would only allow it if dual wield fighting

However I have approached this slightly differently in my own house rules.

In my house rules, I have made Dual Wield a Martial Arts skill. Fighting with two weapons I simply allow an extra free parry without the -30%. However if a character makes a successful attack and also rolls under his Martial Arts (Dual Wield) skill, then I grant an additional damage dice roll, indicating a hit by the second blade (which also forfeits the free parry).

This has worked well for me, but it may not suit everyone's tastes

• Like 2

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

Would you be making those accumulative -30% attacks within the same DEX SR, or would they occur every 5 SR after your intial DEX SR?

The later would work better, I would think. More consistent with other rules about actions during a combat round.

I can't see much benefits either way, it could almost be a mute point.

By having multiple attacks within the same combat round it means that you will take less actual combat rounds to resolve combat, so it is quicker in game time.

However the time taken to resolve such in real time won't change much, as you still will be rolling those attacks within a single combat round or so.

It sounds reasonable in theory, but it practice it may not really make much difference to the time taken to resolve combat,and may make working out melee order a little more cumbersome.

I think I would only allow it if dual wield fighting

However I have approached this slightly differently in my own house rules.

In my house rules, I have made Dual Wield a Martial Arts skill. Fighting with two weapons I simply allow an extra free parry without the -30%. However if a character makes a successful attack and also rolls under his Martial Arts (Dual Wield) skill, then I grant an additional damage dice roll, indicating a hit by the second blade (which also forfeits the free parry).

This has worked well for me, but it may not suit everyone's tastes

Yeah, each attack attempt would occur at every 5 dex. I think it should take up less time and less turns as you only get the penalties if you succeed on the attack, like a parry or dodge roll. So you can make an attack every 5 dex ranks as long as you still have a positive skill rating on the attack.

I did a test combat with one of my players, his character has 153 on swords and has a dex of 16. I pitted the character against 3 60 swords/parry/dodge enemies. In the first round he rolled a 10 and had dex of 26, which gave him 5 attacks in that turn. He can make a max of 6 successful attacks before he simply cannot make another one. The enemies can only make 2 successful attacks/defense rolls before they simply cannot do another one. By the end of the first turn, all three of the enemies were defeated.

The idea was to help curtail some of the attack-parry ping pong in the game while allowing my players to take on multiple opponents. Better for that heroic sword and sorcery feeling.

You like Fading Suns? Well, I made a thing that's kinda like it!

I would have to see it myself before I would do it. But if its working well for you then keep going; I can't see too many problems with it.

I'm for whatever works :-)

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"