Moon Design running Chaosium?

rsanford

Someone on Google+ just posted that, if I understand properly, Moon Design will be running Chaosium...

Anyone heard anything?

• Like 1

Check out our homebrew rules for freeform magic in BRP ->

No reason for Ars Magica players to have all the fun!

http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?762340-Moon-Design-Takes-Over-Chaosium

I was at the GenCon press conference and so can confirm that the Moon Design team are now the chief operating officers of Chaosium.

Design Mechanism will be making a press statement in the next day or so, but we wish the new Chaosium every success and look forward to working with them very closely in the future.

• Like 1

The Design Mechanism: Publishers of Mythras

DM logo Freeforums Icon.png

Sorry to hear they will concentrate on RQ and leave BRP behind. :( Makes me sad, as I think the system is far more than just an other Fantasy RPG.

Will see what comes up next, but I hope Ben, Dustin & Co will still have a job at Chaosium.

Also, I would appreciate any news in regards of what they plan with BRP.

• Like 2

I'll be honest.... I've not heard much that makes me optimistic. I'm awaiting more info before final judgement. 

I'll say this. Killing off BRP is almost a deal-breaker for me. That is what brought me to Chaosium. I get that it's not bringing in money. (Fruit when not picked will always whither on the vine.) I was really hoping that BRP would finally get the attention it deserves. 

• Like 5

BGB = BRP Gold. New book = BRP Platinum.  Stay metal. 

Yeah, it's not looking good for my interests. I'm back to the stormclouds I felt before any of this 'saving Chaosium' stuff got going...

Right?

Edit: I don't have all the info yet, and I'm hoping there is something I'm missing. 

Edited by Nakana

I don't want to be reactionary but I will be extremely disappointed if they phase out BRP.  Extremely.

From everything I'm finding from the seminar that is exactly what they plan to do. :angry:

https://mobile.twitter.com/dorkland/tweets

in this thread it says:

Christopher Helton @dorkland
Runequest coming home to #Chaosium doesn't mean that games like Magic World will go away. #gencon2015

but it also says:

Christopher Helton @dorkland
Unfortunately BRP sales are small and doesn't make the line important for now. #gencon2015

I "like" RuneQuest 6, but I "LOVE" BRP, I would like to see both continue.

It also appears that while Runequest is "coming home", the Design Mechanism will still be doing stuff for Runequest 6 yet also working with Chaosium. 

You know... this seminar seems to have just raised a lot more questions than it answered. 

• Like 4

Although I am a very long time supporter of BRP, I feel lucky that I found an other generic RPG system that feels similar to BRP and is currently highly supported by the company with good quality products.

If Chaosium decides to let BRP 'slip' even further, I will definitely move on - it is 7 years after the BGB now, and no serious company support is in sight. I was hoping for a change when Sandy and Greg took over the company, although I had a bad guts feeling.

I am not only sad to see this happening, I am deeply disappointed.

This is just pure speculation but maybe Chaosium's Runequest will be based on Magic World core system with one tweak here and there (I guess the will remove the resistance table at least) and Golanthara fluff back in the text 

Yes, I know Fantasy players are a big part of the RPG community, but the beauty of the BGB was its good support of different genres. And I don't care about if they base the new RuneQuest on Magic World - it does not help my group playing any kind of Sci-Fi settings. Seems BRP is dead. Again.

The only thing they accomplish by 'bringing RQ back home' is that we will have 'an other' RunQuest system (gosh, how many do we already have?!) and add 'yet an other d100 ruleset' to the already stretched 'family'. If you delude a good Whiskey with enough water, it will eventually be water.

Not sure how any of the d100 companies can make any money of the d100 fan base with about 7(?) d100 systems out there. It should be ONE system where all combined forces work together on it with a bunch of OPTIONS for players to choose from.

Anyway, I guess I already made my decision.

Edited by pansophy
  • Like 7

Guys,

I don't see BRP (or MW) mentioned anywhere in the...what was that, a report?...that Loz linked. I think it's a bit too early to start doomsaying. I mean, really, if peeps like Moon Design and Co., and the old crew hadn't stepped in, BRP would be heading for oblivion anyway just like Chaosium was. Don't get me wrong; I'm a bit nervous too, but I'm not quite ready to call the patient dead until we hear something official and to the point: "Our analysis leads us to conclude that it is not in the financial interests of the Co. to sustain the BRP line." 

Nor does it say in the report that Moon Design will run Chaosium, only that they are now part of "...the Chaosium ownership...". Yes, the management team will be made up of Mood Design execs and that makes me "fearful and afraid" but also a bit hopeful that a successful company with a good track record is getting involved. Besides Greg and Sandy are still part of the governing board and we were all pretty hopeful when we first heard the news that the "band was getting back together."

Will I be disappointed if the coroner is called in to pronounce BRP dead? Hell. yes! I'll feel a bit betrayed too. When others shout and pop the corks toasting their good fortune with cries of "Glorantha and RQ reunited at last! Heroquesting forever! Cthulhu reigns supreme!, I'll be in the corner growling in my bitterness trying conjure a disease spirit to inflict their arm-pits with lice.

But like I said, I don't see BRP's demise predicted in the report posted above. I mean I suppose it could be read that way but only between the lines. There's nothing explicit there.

If there is, my brothers, well, we'll just do what others before us have done when their favorite RPG went the way of the Do-Do: keep right on playing BRP, refining BRP and creating our own BRP stuff. 

I hang on Google+ with the D6 community where I lurk, read and drool. I love Star Wars and in particular WEG 1st edition Star Wars...talk about out of print...which these gamers just won't let die. I would argue that despite the game's official status, the D6 community as represented there is vibrant, creative and inventive producing more cool stuff for their beloved game, (both 1st and 2nd editions) than WEG ever produced officially. We can do the same.

Still, I'm not ready to stand over my fallen BRP just yet, because as far as we REALLY know, BRP is not dead. It's all conjecture at this point. It could be that a gloriously awesome golden age of killer BRP alternate earth or scifi settings are just around the corner, waiting in the wings for a strong business plan and the right support to come to come along. I mean look at Moon Design's stuff! With the old guard standing watch and those kind of resources, can you imagine what BRP goodness might come about?

I counsel (like it really matters what I counsel...LOL!) patience. We wait and listen and if we don't hear anything soon, we ask. And if we get no answer or a halfhearted one...well, then that'll say it all. Until Ben says done...I'm not giving up hope.

Yours in nervous optimism,

P.S. these are simply my own opinions written in a flush...if I've pissed anyone off, please believe I didn't mean to. Cheers.

• Like 3

Present home-port: home-brew BRP/OQ SRD variant; past ports-of-call: SB '81, RQIII '84, BGB '08, RQIV(Mythras) '12,  MW '15, and OQ '17

BGB BRP: 0 edition: 20/420; .pdf edition: 06/11/08; 1st edition: 06/13/08

It should be ONE system where all combined forces work together

One System to rule them ALL!!! No one could handle such power.

SunWolfe, you're right. We'll have to wait and see. And in the meantime I'll devour all these monographs I bought. lol.

• Like 1

Funny. Looks like switching to Basic Roleplay and never looking back some 6 months ago or so was perfectly timed :P

Oh well, hopefully the change in management means good things ahead, but like it is for most people change and the unknown is always uncomfortable.

The news is fairly mixed. It looks like they are making some fairly radical changes in order to save the company. On the one hand, they are bringing some excellent talent onboard - partnering with Moon Design and Design Mechanism is an great move. On the other hand, the death of BRP is very sad.