Moon Design running Chaosium?

rsanford

Yes, most of the monographs will work just as well in one of the more recent BRP builds.

For example, The Green would be great for RQ6, and Aces High just screams Renaissance system to me as well. OpenQuest is also out there, as well as Legend, so plenty of options available, and they are more or less compatible with each other.

And if one prefers a more classic BRP build, then perhaps GORE has also come of age again

It would really be great to see some of the monographs produced with higher publication standards and ported into one of the above licences; the content is simply too good to be lost.

Edited by Mankcam
grammar
  • Like 2

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

It would really be great to see some of the monographs produced with higher publication standards and ported into one of the above licences; the content is simply too good to be lost.

Off the top of my head I would mention Lords of Tarsa and Rubble and Ruin too.  If monographs go by the wayside I hope these settings find a home.

• Like 1

70/420

Guest Vile Traveller

I believe Jon Ossoway's Cthulhu Rising, which is A Fine Thing, is still on the table for OpenQuest.

Edited by Vile

Off the top of my head I would mention Lords of Tarsa and Rubble and Ruin too.  If monographs go by the wayside I hope these settings find a home.

Horses For Courses:

'The Green' for RuneQuest or Legend

'Aces High' for Renaissance 

'Lords Of Tarsha' for RuneQuest or Legend

'Rubble And Ruin' for Runequest, Legend, or OpenQuest

(This is fun!)

Edited by Mankcam

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

Slow trickle is fine with me.  When I introduce people to the system though, I get a better response when the system is actually in print.  This is why I now play 'Magic World' instead of 'Elric!'.

But I still play Elric! because I think the physical size of the rulebook is perfect. For me, Magic World is just a little too big, and the BGB is way too big.

I believe Jon Ossoway's Cthulhu Rising, which is A Fine Thing, is still on the table for OpenQuest.

That is a great set of hard science-fiction rules in the vein of Alien. It's probably under-appreciated because of the Cthulhu title (most people probably play Call of Cthulhu in the 1920s because of the volume of source material). You can leave the Cthulhoid stuff out of Cthulhu Rising with no problem (maybe a name-change would be required; you'd have to call it Rising ;-). I would like to run a sci-fi game set in the Solar System (no FTL, no hyperspace) and it's good for that. I've used its good psionics rules too, sort of BRP meets Traveller.

Yes, most of the monographs will work just as well in one of the more recent BRP builds.

For example, The Green would be great for RQ6, and Aces High just screams Renaissance system to me as well. OpenQuest is also out there, as well as Legend, so plenty of options available, and they are more or less compatible with each other.

And if one prefers a more classic BRP build, then perhaps GORE has also come of age again

I would also point out that the various d100 systems aren't exactly rules-heavy and many GMs mix-and-match stuff from different games on the fly. I know that I've used stuff from Elric and BRP with both Legend and RQ 6 without any major compatibility issues. I've also used mythos entities from Call of Cthulhu in a Swords & Sorcery game. You need to do a bit of mental conversion on occasion, but it's not that hard - it's certainly much easier than converting between D&D editions. 

I love the OGL and the freedom that it offers third-party publishers, but there's no real issue with using proprietary stuff from BRP monographs with RQ 6 or other d100 systems in your own private games if you want to. I don't think Loz or Pete will send the Runequest compliance police around to rough you up for this :)

That is a great set of hard science-fiction rules in the vein of Alien. It's probably under-appreciated because of the Cthulhu title (most people probably play Call of Cthulhu in the 1920s because of the volume of source material). You can leave the Cthulhoid stuff out of Cthulhu Rising with no problem (maybe a name-change would be required; you'd have to call it Rising ;-). I would like to run a sci-fi game set in the Solar System (no FTL, no hyperspace) and it's good for that. I've used its good psionics rules too, sort of BRP meets Traveller.

I love Cthulhu Rising so much! I just wish that we could chain Newt down and make him get the OQ version out sooner, but he's already got at least one Kickstarter to fulfill *sigh*.

Guest Vile Traveller

At this point I'd much prefer an OpenQuest Cthulhu Rising, myself, in the hope that it would be more directly compatible with River of Heaven.

At this point I'd much prefer an OpenQuest Cthulhu Rising, myself, in the hope that it would be more directly compatible with River of Heaven.

Yes it makes sense that a hard sci-fi setting like that can be almost directly compatible with River of Heaven (OpenQuest)

Come to think of it, OpenQuest can easily dialed up or down to work for troupes who are playing any of the new BRP builds, such as Renaissance, Legend, or RuneQuest 6th Ed - a perfect happy medium for the monographs to be ported into 

But frankly, the way things are panning out, it makes sense for most new content to be designed using one of the newer builds of BRP, as they are all highly compatible with each other. Its certainly not a stretch to use these games with scenarios made for the BRP BGB for that matter; its just they would only be about 75% compatible with the BGB, whereas the new BRP systems are about 90% compatible with each other (perhaps more).

And the upcoming products are following suit. For example, both 'Chronicles Of Future Earth' and 'Classic Fantasy' are for RQ6, whereas the kickstarter game 'Raiders Of Ry'leh' was intended to be based from OpenQuest (although the draft pdf now indicates more consistency with RQ6 or Legend for char gen and skills etc)

Not sure where CoC 7E fits in with all this. I can conceptualise the BRP BGB as a BRP Legacy system, and I can clearly see the MRQ SRD as the basis for the new BRP systems. However CoC 7E has gone its own merry abberant way and is really throwing a cat amongst the pigeons here. It would be easy enough to ignore, except it is produced by Chaosium and it will be one of their flagship products...

Edited by Mankcam

Mmh, OpenQuest is a fine system but it lies at the exact other end of the crunchiness scale than RQ6 or Legend. Things can be ported back and forth, but "easily dialed up or down" is not the exact expression I would use to describe the process.
Cthulhu Rising, on the other hand, would make a great OpenQuest supplement.

Edited by RosenMcStern

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

Mmh, OpenQuest is a fine system but it lies at the exact other end of the crunchiness scale than RQ6 or Legend. Things can be ported back and forth, but "easily dialed up or down" is not the exact expression I would use to describe the process.
Cthulhu Rising, on the other hand, would make a great OpenQuest supplement.

My personal experience has been that it's usually easier to port things from a less crunchy format to a more crunchy format than to perform the same operation in reverse, but your mileage may vary :)

Cthulhu Rising would indeed make a great OpenQuest supplement. After River of Heaven, I wonder whether a generic SF version of OpenQuest might be a good idea. As a lightweight game system, it might even work better than an SF variant of RQ 6 - and I'm saying that as someone who liked Luther Arkwright and thought the short-lived RQ 6 Star Wars conversion was very well done.

Personally, I'd love to see a variant of BRP / d100 that's explicitly designed to let's you dial up or dial down the crunchiness based upon the genre and your personal tastes. Sometimes I want something that's really crunchy and detailed while other times you want something that's very light and supports a more cinematic game style. BRP kind of has this, but I don't think it was ever an explicit design goal. You could probably achieve this with either Legend or RQ 6 (as the core mechanics are simple), but it would need a fair bit of work.

• Like 2

Personally, I'd love to see a variant of BRP / d100 that's explicitly designed to let's you dial up or dial down the crunchiness based upon the genre and your personal tastes. 

Yep, I certainly second this.

My personal favourite is RQ6, but if I was running a cinematic Pulp Era Roaring Adventures style game (or even a Pulp Space game, like Star Wars) then I'd perhaps want to play something a little less crunchy

• Like 2

Yep, I certainly second this.

My personal favourite is RQ6, but if I was running a cinematic Pulp Era Roaring Adventures style game (or even a Pulp Space game, like Star Wars) then I'd perhaps want to play something a little less crunchy

For example, I wonder if it would be possible to divide the combat system into a set of streamlined basic combat rules similar to OpenQuest and a more detailed set of advanced combat rules similar to Legend / RQ 6? The advanced combat rules would offer additional tactical detail when you want it, at the expense of added complexity. Assuming that the rules are fairly modular, you can select only those options relevant to your current game.

Would an approach like this be of interest to people?

• Like 1

BRP line culled? Well, then this really becomes the generic d100 BRP thread. Even though they don't sell that much BRP product I would think having a generic system around would at least earn them some license money, but I guess other publishers will fill that void.

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

For example, I wonder if it would be possible to divide the combat system into a set of streamlined basic combat rules similar to OpenQuest and a more detailed set of advanced combat rules similar to Legend / RQ 6? The advanced combat rules would offer additional tactical detail when you want it, at the expense of added complexity. Assuming that the rules are fairly modular, you can select only those options relevant to your current game.

Would an approach like this be of interest to people?

Most certainly.

Essentially doing what the BRP BGB does, except having a system more influenced by the MRQ D100 SRD instead of the more classic BRP builds.

It would be great to have it sit nicely next to the BGB, one book for classic BRP builds and one book for new BRP builds.

This would be a great thing

Edited by Mankcam
  • Like 1

Guest Vile Traveller

When are we likely to hear an update from Chaosium on this? There has been very little since the GenCon announcement, and it would be nice to have some focus for our speculation. It's a pity that there is no public communication channel for Chaosium. Moon Design's forum is possibly the worst example of forum software I've seen this side of the millennium, and MD don't seem to look at it much, anyway.

At present it seems like BRP has been shelved with a few products remaining as PDF or PoD but presumably no further support, so to all effects and purposes it's likely to die a death as a commercial system.

When are we likely to hear an update from Chaosium on this? There has been very little since the GenCon announcement, and it would be nice to have some focus for our speculation.

I'm sorry to be snide but perhaps when they have the opportunity to share an update? GenCon was just last weekend, and I'm sure that Chaosium has their hands full getting back to business, and getting the CoC7e Kickstarter-situation resolved. That ship, likely, has to be righted first before they can address other game lines. 

We're fortunate that Chaosium is as communicative as they are now. We, at least, have a clue of what's going on. Their former administration sucked at this - we probably wouldn't be hearing anything at all, and they definitely wouldn't be more responsive. 

• Like 4

Guest Vile Traveller

A week is a long time after a huge announcement like that without any updates other than the odd comment buried on Facebook and Google+. One would hope that there was some forward planning prior to GenCon.

Loz has been doing a sterling job managing expectations regarding the revised Gloranthan Chaosium RuneQuest, and TDM only have more work and no extra staff in the wake of the merger. Chaosium was broken before, but there should be some improvement after the re-organisation. Communication is the most important aspect of that and should not be affected by what's being done for the CoC 7e Kickstarter.

Since the end of the Avalon Hill era in the mid '90s clear until the BGB's advent, Chaosium has ever been more prone to silence than celebration concerning things BRP. I swear, if it wasn't for Trifletraxor's forum here, I wonder if we'd have heard anything even then :). Shrug. What's a few weeks longer? When Chaosium is ready, I figure our time will come...for good or ill. I for one have actually appreciated the non-reactionary quiet that's reigned since Monday. The endless speculation simply gave me a headache :(.

• Like 4

Present home-port: home-brew BRP/OQ SRD variant; past ports-of-call: SB '81, RQIII '84, BGB '08, RQIV(Mythras) '12,  MW '15, and OQ '17

BGB BRP: 0 edition: 20/420; .pdf edition: 06/11/08; 1st edition: 06/13/08

Guys. Trifletraxors site here is awesome and an integral part of my BRP knowledge/news but this isn't a massive site with an audience like say RPG.net or some other broader scoping rpg sites(yet). While I'd like to see more news (good news), they have to be careful what is posted. Things change. Ideas change. Focus changes. Ben even anounced he was excitedly awaiting GenCon so the MD news would be released. This means he was sitting on that news for awhile. How hard would THAT be not to share? 

I was overly concerned about BRPs future and, thanks to the awesome members here sharing posts they've found elsewhere, a lot of concerns have been addressed and fears somewhat calmed. 

Keep showing your interest and support in this awesome system. Spend some money on it if you can. Share the love with others.

And be patient.

Keep the faith! 

• Like 3

Author QUASAR space opera system: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/459723/QUASAR?affiliate_id=810507

My Magic World projects page: Tooleys Underwhelming Projects

When are we likely to hear an update from Chaosium on this? There has been very little since the GenCon announcement, and it would be nice to have some focus for our speculation. It's a pity that there is no public communication channel for Chaosium. Moon Design's forum is possibly the worst example of forum software I've seen this side of the millennium, and MD don't seem to look at it much, anyway.

At present it seems like BRP has been shelved with a few products remaining as PDF or PoD but presumably no further support, so to all effects and purposes it's likely to die a death as a commercial system.

It has only been a week, so give them time.

I am sure that they will make announcements when they have something to announce.

• Like 2

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

Guest Vile Traveller

It's difficult, waiting for the announcement that the Chaosium Classics OneBookShelf site has gone live and all editions are available again.  :D