Future of Magic World?

Marcus Bone

Given the topor that MW has entered* I think this is a great opportunity for us - the fans - to take some ownership. I was thinking about setting up a fansite for the game and look towards building our idea setting/game.

Is there any interest in this?

Marcus

* Given the fact that MW was created *because* Chaosium didn't have a complete fantasy game, this makes some sense now RQ is back in the fold.

Yes.

I don't know as yet what will happen to my contributions to the unpublished but submitted Magic World material, but I have a chunk of rough notes for various things I had either mentioned in passing to Ben or was planning to work on on the QT and raise once earlier stuff was actually released. I have no interest in repurposing any of it for other rule sets, so a Magic world fan site would be the ideal venue for that material.

cheers,

Nick

• Like 4

Yes.

I don't know as yet what will happen to my contributions to the unpublished but submitted Magic World material, but I have a chunk of rough notes for various things I had either mentioned in passing to Ben or was planning to work on on the QT and raise once earlier stuff was actually released. I have no interest in repurposing any of it for other rule sets, so a Magic world fan site would be the ideal venue for that material.

cheers,

Nick

I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Given the topor that MW has entered* I think this is a great opportunity for us - the fans - to take some ownership. I was thinking about setting up a fansite for the game and look towards building our idea setting/game.

Is there any interest in this?

Marcus

* Given the fact that MW was created *because* Chaosium didn't have a complete fantasy game, this makes some sense now RQ is back in the fold.

I like the idea but wouldn't it be better to make this site the central place to download BRP related files? I ask because having things in one place is better than having to search multiple places for files... For example in the next few weeks I will be uploading the 1.8 version of "The Second Way", my take on Advanced Sorcery's Deep Magic.  I will put it on this site (and maybe  Facebook) because I think most people would look here...

Ronnie

Check out our homebrew rules for freeform magic in BRP ->

No reason for Ars Magica players to have all the fun!

Here or "there", it sounds good to me :-)

Cheers!

Present home-port: home-brew BRP/OQ SRD variant; past ports-of-call: SB '81, RQIII '84, BGB '08, RQIV(Mythras) '12,  MW '15, and OQ '17

BGB BRP: 0 edition: 20/420; .pdf edition: 06/11/08; 1st edition: 06/13/08

Why wouldn't you use this site? It has a downloads section and an active BRP community.

This place is great as a general place to host the files, and the place for discussion on general D100 games (well, I've personally come to loathe the forum software with a fiery passion since the last update, but that's another issue...) - albeit in part that's because Chaosium have never had their own forums, nor have most of the other D100 publishers (the Design Mechanism being the one exception that springs to mind)

But I assume what Marcus is talking about would be a Magic World specific thing, this site isn't ideal: it is built around discussion forums and a deliberately broad church so it gets a wide variety of traffic, covering pretty much the whole D100 family, and specific systems (especially minority ones) can get a little drowned out. His Stormbringer site (the forum's section of which redirects here, I'll note) is a lovely showcase for the family of games one associates with that name, and archive of the monograph material that was released for SB5. A similar set up for Magic World I find very appealing.

Think of it as the 21st century spiritual successor to the the fanzine. The "letter column" would I'd guess remain here, and assuming a similar model to the Stormbringer site, files could be hosted both there and here. But it would provide a focused, distinctive, repository for point for Magic World material.

Cheers,

Nick

• Like 6

Guest Vile Traveller

On a more serious note, has anyone heard from Ben since the bad news? I haven't seen him posting anything on FB, G+, or the usual forums.

Well, We all want answers. Let's all write/Email/face book  Chaosium inc aka Moon Design and try to get one.  Will they allow MW to continue with support? If we all ask and they get a barrage of letters and emails etc... No doubt we'll get an answer, even if it's not the one we want, (on the other hand they might say yes).

Guest Vile Traveller

Honestly, I don't think there's much point at this stage. Until they get the company over the CoC7 Kickstarter everything else is kind of moot. Even the stuff they have announced will be a while (BRP Essentials, BRP Ice Age, Chaosium RuneQuest, the back catalogue PDFs and PoD, some boardgame or other, some fiction stuff, etc., etc.).

Edited by Vile

Sorry to quote myself here, but:

"A system is only as dead as its fan base."

I for one will continue to support MW, as I have for the past couple years, with free materials I create for my own campaigns. I'll continue to push BRP and MW as Top-Gun systems. 

I know it won't make a difference in the grand scheme but, hey, I'm doing the stuff anyway...someone else might find a use.

Maybe someday it'll be like Firefly TV show.

Cancelled by big-wigs but fan base is so strong they make a motion picture out of it AFTER it's cancelled. 

Shiney. Lets be heroes. :)

• Like 6

Author QUASAR space opera system: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/459723/QUASAR?affiliate_id=810507

My Magic World projects page: Tooleys Underwhelming Projects

On a more serious note, has anyone heard from Ben since the bad news? I haven't seen him posting anything on FB, G+, or the usual forums.

Ben hasn't posted on any of the boards I frequent, nor my MW FB page.

He was so stoked about all these changes over the past few months...I hope he finds something good from this mess. One door closes...

• Like 1

Author QUASAR space opera system: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/459723/QUASAR?affiliate_id=810507

Well, We all want answers. Let's all write/Email/face book  Chaosium inc aka Moon Design and try to get one.  Will they allow MW to continue with support?

What Chaosium has said is that Magic World will not be prioritized now. They have a limited number of people, limited funds and have just taken over a company in a financial mess. So we can probably not expect to see more supplements for Magic World for some time. Also, with Chaosium's new policy of self-contained settings with the rules included, we'll probably not see more support for Magic World as a system unless they reverse this. On the positive side, Chaosium have had work in the pipeline for Magic World that was nearing completion. I have a scenario that was supposed to go into a Shillingshead supplement for the Southern Reaches. Nick Nicario was the line editor for Magic World at least from january this year and he's still with the company. I think if we all express interest in a self-contained Southern Reaches setting (with the Magic World rules included of course) and this interest continues also after Chaosium have managed their more urgent priorities, then I think the chances of seeing more Southern Reaches/Magic World supplements are not that bad. 

"A system is only as dead as its fan base."

Quoting tooley1chris quoting himself!

• Like 2

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

I think if we all express interest in a self-contained Southern Reaches setting (with the Magic World rules included of course) and this interest continues also after Chaosium have managed their more urgent priorities, then I think the chances of seeing more Southern Reaches/Magic World supplements are not that bad.

When you say, "...with the Magic World rules included..."  are you suggesting that such a supplement would have the whole rule set included or (considering the timbre of The Company's latest missives and its move to a slimmer and revised BRP rule set) a leaner set--a sort of MW Essentials?

Cheers!

Edited by Sunwolfe

Present home-port: home-brew BRP/OQ SRD variant; past ports-of-call: SB '81, RQIII '84, BGB '08, RQIV(Mythras) '12,  MW '15, and OQ '17

BGB BRP: 0 edition: 20/420; .pdf edition: 06/11/08; 1st edition: 06/13/08

This would be a pretty tall order, of course, but would  make a nice box set. And  people might be more willing to put out the money if it includes a full fledged campaign setting.

Also a tall order, but appealing. 

• Like 1

I think if we all express interest in a self-contained Southern Reaches setting (with the Magic World rules included of course) and this interest continues also after Chaosium have managed their more urgent priorities, then I think the chances of seeing more Southern Reaches/Magic World supplements are not that bad. 

I'm not sure I want MW customized for any particular setting. My pleasure in MW is the game system itself, I'm an old Stormbringer fan. My interest in the Southern Reaches is simply as a background setting to play the game. I still dream of a Chroniclers Companion, and Bestiary, with maybe a separate booklet for SR to complete the set. It might not be what Chaosium want to sell me, but it is what I want to buy. I don't want to pay for all the rules I've just paid for again, in order to getting some more setting material. Don't get me wrong I really like the southern Reaches and feel it enhances the game, but that's not the main reason I play.

Still ,what Trifletraxor said has merit and fits in to new ideas in Chaosium's/MD's press releases. Of course any new release would be a step forward.

Edited by Rich Tom
  • Like 3

Well Chaosium responded to the question I posted on facebook. Which is below;

"Guys! No news is bad news. I know I speak for hundreds of other like minded gamers when I ask this. Are you going to specifically support "Magic World" in anyway in the future?"

And they answered;

"No decisions have been made about what will happen with this particular product line in the future, but Magic World is simply not a priority for Chaosium right now."

It doesn't really tell us much but it does give us clarity about where MW stands.

I tried to paste the link but my computer doesn't seem to want to do it today.

MW is not a priority because they have all their resources committed to getting the CoC 7e KS completed. The coffers are virtually empty and until they clear the cloud of the 7e KS nothing or virtually nothing is going to happen. I don't know how many times they have to tell people that but it doesn't seem to sink in. Chaosium fans are lucky they have anything to look forward to based on the state the company was in after Sandy and Gregg took a look at it. The MD folks have said that the actual state of the company finances was even worse than G&S had thought when they originally stepped in, 10K in the bank and a 7e printing bill for 100K is a hole that isn't easy to climb out of so a lack of a concrete statement on the future of MW is small beans. Be thankful you actually have material already out there to play.

• Like 1

Nigel

I don't know how many times they have to tell people that but it doesn't seem to sink in. Chaosium fans are lucky they have anything to look forward to based on the state the company was in after Sandy and Gregg took a look at it. ... Be thankful you actually have material already out there to play.

I wasn't aware that Chaosium had used the words Magic World in any official statement about their future products since the changes. If they had I apologise for the repetition. However, I feel told off. My facebook question took me about one minute and 30 seconds to type and I'm sure that the reply took them as little time a well. This was hardly a difficult task. As for don't ask, don't rock the boat and walk around on egg shells, I'm sure if there was no official repetition of information, that some people will be pleased that some sort of official MW statement has been made, even if it only tells us what we already know and Choasium hopefully won't be badgered about this issue in the future and can get on with the work at hand.

• Like 1

I wasn't aware that Chaosium had used the words Magic World in any official statement about their future products since the changes. If they had I apologise for the repetition. However, I feel told off. My facebook question took me about one minute and 30 seconds to type and I'm sure that the reply took them as little time a well. This was hardly a difficult task. As for don't ask, don't rock the boat and walk around on egg shells, I'm sure if there was no official repetition of information, that some people will be pleased that some sort of official MW statement has been made, even if it only tells us what we already know and Choasium hopefully won't be badgered about this issue in the future and can get on with the work at hand.

Don't feel told off. To get straight to the point of it, it took you a minute and a half to type and send that question and you're right, it took them an equal amount or less time to send the reply. The problem is that for you it only took a minute and a half whereas they have had to answer that same question in multiple places. (1:30 x amount they've had to answer same question = a lot of time on the same question for them)

But, it's not your fault. The problem is they still lack clear communication, obviously due to the fact that they don't want to spell out just how bad things are and/or piss off/lose customers. 

They have a website at their disposal yet the bulk of info is scattered throughout various forums or blogs. What they do post on their website is vague and raises more questions than it answers. 

When it comes to Magic World either they don't mention it all or simply say "it's not a priority right now". What they should say is "It's dead in the water until we know we can survive this Kickstarter fiasco, otherwise what's the point?" And they should say that on their own website. 

The Kickstarter should be the priority. Focus on fulfilling obligations to customers that have already bought products, not planning some weak rewrite of BRB NOT based on the BGB.

Edit: Ok, my last sentence is a bit "catty". I won't delete it, but I do retract it. However, I stand by my statements regarding the current method of communication.

Edited by Nakana
  • Like 1

BGB = BRP Gold. New book = BRP Platinum.  Stay metal.