Future of Magic World?

Marcus Bone

Guest Vile Traveller

Interesting point - what is Chaosium's fan material policy, if there is one? Or does the Moon Design policy cover these things? Well, obviously the wording doesn't, because it's aimed squarely at Glorantha and not the Southern Reaches. Still, would be good to hear Chaosium's view on the matter.

http://www.glorantha.com/glorantha/fan-sites/fan-policy/

Edited by Vile

Well there's only one way to find out this stuff and that is to ask. As such I've sent an email to Rick asking the licensing question.

Of course, I'm not expecting too much of an answer (if at all), but maybe my rep might get me some sort of reply.

Regards,

Marcus

Edited by Marcus Bone
  • Like 4

Stormbringer! - Exploring the worlds of the Eternal Champion at http://www.stormbringerrpg.com

Unbound Publishing - Bringing back the fear - http://www.unboundbook.org

DCtRPG.info - Supporting Dark Conspiracy across the decades - http://www.darkconspiracytherpg.com

As stated by Baulderstone, I've been posting quite a bit of free stuff specifically for MW and the hounds haven't been baying at my door...working on a MASSIVE monster book right now that I've freely promoted/advertised here. Would love to see someone pick up MW liscence and run but it just doesn't have the large fan base I guess. 

EDIT: Also Ive a book in files section here titled Peoples of the Southern Reaches. No grief yet...

On the flip side, no one has offered me a liscence either. :)

Edited by tooley1chris
  • Like 3

Author QUASAR space opera system: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/459723/QUASAR?affiliate_id=810507

My Magic World projects page: Tooleys Underwhelming Projects

I've been working on a MW conversion of an old dead game with odd rules but a great setting... and thinking I could go the extra 10 miles and put it up someplace to share... kinda like was done here with the City of Heroes stuff for BRP. I might be thinking with too much of an OSR mindset (wild amounts of fan-made content in that sphere)... maybe I should just point it at GORE instead.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Simlasa said:

I've been working on a MW conversion of an old dead game with odd rules but a great setting... and thinking I could go the extra 10 miles and put it up someplace to share... kinda like was done here with the City of Heroes stuff for BRP. I might be thinking with too much of an OSR mindset (wild amounts of fan-made content in that sphere)... maybe I should just point it at GORE instead.

Out of curiosity, what is the old dead game?

As to go with MW or GORE, I guess it depends on your intentions. If you actually want to make money off it one day, then GORE would be best. If you just want to share it for free, I'm guessing there would be more people happy with a MW conversion. 

Cadwallon... and its wider setting of Aarklash. Nothing I ever would or could try to sell of course. I just think it's a fun setting but, like Warhammer's 'Old World', handicapped by the commercial concerns of its creators (sell more miniatures!). The original rules are a bit unusual... and It's also taking some virtual legwork to gather all the scattered setting content... it's spread hither and yon across books, cards, magazines. But I'm working on it... a compiled sourcebook on the setting and a BRP/Magic World approach to its baroque flavor.

For those who never heard of it... Cadwallon's setting is, IMO, a bit like Warhammer's... but filtered through a demented Disney-esque lens. It's less historical and much prettier than Warhammer but just as dark and brutal.

Edited by Simlasa

I doubt Chaosium will go all Palladium/TSR over fan material.  stormbringerrpg.com is still up (if a little slow).  Chaosium has bigger worries right now.

OTOH, my big interest in Magic World was the ability for players to go out and buy a single, complete rule book. *sigh*
  • Like 1

Frank

"Welcome to the hottest and fastest-growing hobby of, er, 1977." -- The Laundry RPG

7 hours ago, Simlasa said:

For those who never heard of it... Cadwallon's setting is, IMO, a bit like Warhammer's... but filtered through a demented Disney-esque lens. It's less historical and much prettier than Warhammer but just as dark and brutal.

Sounds like an interesting setting and a worthwhile project. It's just a shame you won't be able to share it outside your gaming group.

1 hour ago, fmitchell said:
OTOH, my big interest in Magic World was the ability for players to go out and buy a single, complete rule book. *sigh*

I think they have announced that it will be a POD product, so hard copies should be available indefinitely. I realize it might be awhile until they have that set up, but for now, you can still get new copies easily from Amazon. I expect the POD version will be ready before available copies dry up completely. In any case, if there were to be a sudden rush on remaining copies, it would probably encourage Chaosium to bump up the priority of making Magic World POD.