Actual Play with Skills over 100%

Tywyll

Last Conformist, if you can't see the difference you have a problem.

Actually, I am tired of debating about this with anyone who likes to talk down, debate, and sit back and point out the obvious in a snarky superior way...this site is becoming very annoying. The system is going places I don't like. Most of the posters here, as at any other internet site I have found, don't seem to be able to try to understand what is actually being said. So I will move to something that is still simple and fun, and has little room for debaters and rules lawyers. Not only will I not be buying this book, I will not be using BRP any more. I'm finished.

So long.

Hmmm...

Back on topic.

Has anyone considered / tried using the HQ mechanic for skills over 100%?

Each 100 gives you a mastery which can be used to bump up success levels.

So some one with say 150% attack, coulld roll a 43 and the result is upgraded from a normal success to a special success.

Any thoughts / comments.

Likes to sneak around

115/420

Hmmm...

Back on topic.

So some one with say 150% attack, coulld roll a 43 and the result is upgraded from a normal success to a special success.

Any thoughts / comments.

Honestly, I think that would be too powerful, unless there was some way to block it/reduce it.

Thanks, Jason, for the Star Wars files. I haven't had a chance to look them over since I've downloaded them. But I'm interested in seeing how you handled the Jedi skills.

I'm kind-of-sort-of thinking about starting a gaming club, since I'm back in college. Seems like most people who are into rpgs want to play a Star Wars game at least once.

But anyway: :focus:

Any thoughts / comments.

It's definitely an option. We've discussed it (somewhere!) on this board already, and I've put together some very rough notes for myself on the subject, but to be honest right now I'm inclined to see how RAW BRP plays out, especially with things like opposed rolls, super powers, and martial arts. But it's certainly an option worth exploring.

Cheers,

Sarah

"The Worm Within" - the first novel for The Chronicles of Future Earth, coming 2013 from Chaosium, Inc.

Website: http://sarahnewtonwriter.com | Twitter: @SarahJNewton | Facebook: TheChroniclesOfFutureEarth

I've never really started with a Rune Lord, apart from said Centaur who was rolled up with enhanced Character Generation (+20% to skills and incredibly lucky characteristic rolls) and just scraped in.

It's funny. The RQ crowd and the CoC crowd have a very different idea of what a high skill percentage is than the Elric!/SB5 crowd. I think I can honestly say that I've only had one player with under 100% in the primary combat skill role since I've been running it. Of course, it comes down to the various rules for each game and RQ1-3 read to be very different than SB5.

Thanks, we had a blast playing it.

It shows. And thanks, I had a blast reading it.

so a powerful Stormbringer character will have a lower pecentage skill than a RQ character of similar game ability/effect.

Hmmm, not sure I'm following you here. Are you referring to Stormbringer 1-4 or Elric!/SB5? The later start off at a much higher skill pool.

I found those files and posted them. Enjoy!

Jason, on behalf of myself and everyone else here, could I just respectfully request that you post your entire hard drive? Um, please?

70/420

(On porting HeroQuest Mastery to BRP.)

Honestly, I think that would be too powerful, unless there was some way to block it/reduce it.

Every level of an opponent's Mastery cancels a level of the player's Mastery in the relevant skill, and vice versa.

Example 1: if Fredrik the Bold has a Sword of 33% Mastery 1 (33m for short), and Sontar the Cruel has a Battleaxe of 28 Mastery 1 (28m), they'd roll 33% vs. 28% for attacks and parries.

Example 2: if Fredrik had 33m and Sontar had 28m2 (28% Mastery 2), then Sontar has an extra level of mastery to beat down Fredrik with. Fredrik is in deep trouble.

Also, in HeroQuest characters go from 20 to 1m, so it's likely that a character would be rolling 1% to 10% for a little bit after gaining Mastery. I'd also rule that skills that have Mastery don't improve with normal Experience Rolls, only with training or some sort of Experience Point system.

Frank

"Welcome to the hottest and fastest-growing hobby of, er, 1977." -- The Laundry RPG

Also, in HeroQuest characters go from 20 to 1m, so it's likely that a character would be rolling 1% to 10% for a little bit after gaining Mastery. I'd also rule that skills that have Mastery don't improve with normal Experience Rolls, only with training or some sort of Experience Point system.

You could use the system my group tends to use, which doesn't involve rolling for experience ticks, you simply get an increase for every tick, but the experience % you get goes down dependent on current skill.

The system we use...

Current skill % / % Increase Per tick

01-30 / +5%

31-50 / +4%

51-70 / +3%

71-90 / +2%

91+ / +1%

Initially skills go up quickly but over time the increases get less and less and it still works for skills over 100% (if you were using masterys etc)

It's funny. The RQ crowd and the CoC crowd have a very different idea of what a high skill percentage is than the Elric!/SB5 crowd.

I think you may have a different idea of what a high skill is than I do :)

Hmmm, not sure I'm following you here. Are you referring to Stormbringer 1-4 or Elric!/SB5? The later start off at a much higher skill pool.

OK, Stormbringer 5, from what I understand, has an extra attack at -30%, so someone with 130% can attack twice at 130% and 100%. Someone in RQ attackign twice at 100% needs a skill of 200%. Similarly, attacking 3 times needs a skill of 160% in SB (160%, 130%, 100%) but 300% in RQ (100/100/100).

So, someone reasonably powerful in SB who can attack with 3 or 4 automatic hits is at a lower skill level than the equivalent RQ character.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here. 

OK, Stormbringer 5, from what I understand, has an extra attack at -30%, so someone with 130% can attack twice at 130% and 100%.

That's the rule for multiple parries.

For multiple attacks, you need a skill of 101%+, which you then split between the attacks, minimum of 50% each. Your example character of skill 130% could indeed make two attacks, but the better one would be at 80% at best.

The black rivers of pitch that flow under those mysterious cyclopean bridges - things built by some elder race extinct and forgotten before the beings came to Yuggoth from the ultimate voids - ought to be enough to make any man a Dante or Poe if he can keep sane long enough to tell what he has seen.

Ah, I see.

I haven't played Stormbringer since the first edition and those rules were very simple, so I didn't know what the SB5 rules were.

In that case, power levels should be about the same, although parrying seems ridiculously easy in Stormbringer.

So, I take back my comments completely.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here. 

parrying seems ridiculously easy in Stormbringer.

Parrying is indeed easy. Highly skilled fighters (such as most PCs) pretty much only need worry about critical attacks. I imagine it's a design choice to allow heroic types to fend off hordes of lesser adversaries (as Elric did on a regular basis).

The black rivers of pitch that flow under those mysterious cyclopean bridges - things built by some elder race extinct and forgotten before the beings came to Yuggoth from the ultimate voids - ought to be enough to make any man a Dante or Poe if he can keep sane long enough to tell what he has seen.

I imagine it's a design choice to allow heroic types to fend off hordes of lesser adversaries (as Elric did on a regular basis).

Yeah. It may seem heretical, but I've previously thought Elric was more suited to D&D (and, conversely, Lhankmar to RQ/BRP).

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

Highly skilled fighters (such as most PCs) pretty much only need worry about critical attacks.

Don't forget about weapon breaking rules and closing rules. Unless you're sword and board, you'd better have a second weapon on you. One versus many opponents also puts the high skilled character in a difficult situation. Then there's that whole issue with missile fire.

It may seem heretical...

Heretic. Remember, Fafhrd once deflected a lightning bolt spell with a long length of wire! Fafhrd and the Mouser used to wade through their enemies, Graywand, Heartseeker, Scalpel and Cat's Claw dripping crimson with blood. The difference, Fafhrd and the Mouser used Spot Rules while Elric just stood there chopping with a howling demon sword.

70/420

Don't forget about weapon breaking rules and closing rules. Unless you're sword and board, you'd better have a second weapon on you.

Absent demon weapons or superhuman strength (either of which should disqualify an adversary from characterization as "lesser"), weapon breaking is only likely if they're rolling critical attacks, which was as said is the one thing highly skilled fighters should fear. Having your sword broken by a succession of critical parries is possible, but unlikely, because your opponent is going to roll about as many critical attacks as critical parries, and the former will, unless you incapacitate him first, most likely have put you and/or your sword out of commission before the later becomes an issue.

And that's assuming you're not using a shield.

One versus many opponents also puts the high skilled character in a difficult situation.

Not really, in my experience. The rules, specifically how multiple parries work, are very lenient on characters with multiple opponents.

Then there's that whole issue with missile fire.

Well, sure, a high weapon skill doesn't help against getting shot. It doesn't help against rocks falling from the sky, or anything else that can't be parried, either. My comment was about close combat.