Form Fillable Adventurer Sheet for Magic World

Nick J.

Auto-magical, form-fillable adventurer sheet for Magic World. 

The sheet has been tested pretty extensively by myself, and others have reported success with it. The latest version 2.0.0, is for all intents and purposes "final." The PDFs were created in Foxit PhantomPDF, and use a fair number of javascript functions to calculate all kinds of stuff throughout the sheet, to save you the headache of having to do all of the tedious data entry.

Update 5/20/2019

Very minor bug-fix. Changed the way the armor penalty applies to perception skills. Insight is no longer affected, because a helmet that you can't see out of enough to read someone's body language doesn't seem like a very awesome design. I also uploaded the custom sheet I use for my home game that's set in the B/X setting of Dolmenwood by Gavin Norman, that I adapted for BRP/Magic World. I use social class, and a reputation system (nicked from RuneQuest: Glorantha). I can't imagine why it would be useful or interesting to anyone but me, but if you want a game with goatmen, grimalkin, moss dwarfs, woodgrue, wodewoses, and whatnot. Maybe it's something you can pull apart and edit in Adobe or Foxit Phantom yourself? Who knows, the world is your oyster. If you really want the 20 pages long gazetteer and house rules document I whipped up, PM me.

Update 12/22/18

Created a version of the sheet that has no calculated fields. All of the form fields are still there, but you'll have to enter everything manually. Hopefully useful for those people that like to house-rule the hell out of their game (you can still import an image file into the portrait box if you want).

Update 6/19/18

Lots of changes under the hood and some cosmetic flourishes. This is about as "final" as it gets (unless somebody reports a show-stopping bug).

Changes:

• More easily track weapon skills in the weapons section (no need to use Miscellaneous entries)
  • Type in a weapon type in the skill name field (swords, bows, spears, etc. and it should automatically apply the correct characteristic bonus (uses regular expressions with wildcards, so maybe it doesn't catch every permutation, but it captures a lot).
  • Biggest change: base skills change based on species selected from the drop-down menu based on the default values in the bestiary.
  • Fancy version with a decorative border (royalty-free, open-source art) and a plain, no-art sheet that's a little smaller (about 2mb vs. 1mb respectively).

UPDATE 5/12/18: Hi guys, I figured out a way to somewhat elegantly combine the two sheets I was maintaining into one. You can choose standard Hit Points or Heroic with a toggle button now. Additionally, I added some check boxes to make it easier to adjust armor penalties on the fly (without having to zero out values or do the math in your head). and you can check a box if you become a champion of Light, Balance or Shadow and it will adjust Hit Points or Magic Points respectively and no longer references the Allegiance points in calculations. Also some other quality of life improvements, like an extra entry in the species drop-down menu for "human+" that will change the dice roller to 2D6+6 for all characteristics (Elric! style). Lastly I cleaned up some of the code so it should calculate fields faster and the file footprint was reduced by about 15%.

Features:

• Characteristic Generator button (invisible when you print) for 9 species: Human, Elf, Dwarf, Halfling, Beast-man, Orc, Ogre, and Troll (Human+ uses boosted dice: 2D6+6 for every characteristic)
  • Automatic calculation of derived characteristics like HPs, Major Wound, Characteristic rolls, Characteristic bonuses, Magic Points, MP regeneration rate, and damage bonus.
  • Fields for tracking temporary changes to Characteristics, extra Hit Points, extra Magic Points.
  • Distributed skills summed up to easily reference how competent your character is and for free form character generation.
  • Extra fields for custom skills
  • Skill penalties for armor automatically apply to Agility Roll, as well as Physical, Manipulation and Perception skills (toggle buttons to turn apply the penalties or remove them)
  • Total Hit Points recalculated for characters who have become Champions of Balance (CON + SIZ + POW)
  • Automatically recalculates MP for Champions of Shadow (get POW x2 MP)
  • Grimoire section with fields to help you track spell levels in memory and Free INT.
  • lots of hover-over tool-tips

The sheet is in the style of the official adventurer sheet at the back of the book. It's unprotected, so if you have PDF editing software like Acrobat or Foxit Phantom, you can edit these however you see fit.

The most up to date sheet below.

Edited by Nick J.
bug-fix release
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just a cursoury glance and quick fill, but it looks pretty good! Thanks Master Jones :-)

• Like 1

Present home-port: home-brew BRP/OQ SRD variant; past ports-of-call: SB '81, RQIII '84, BGB '08, RQIV(Mythras) '12,  MW '15, and OQ '17

BGB BRP: 0 edition: 20/420; .pdf edition: 06/11/08; 1st edition: 06/13/08

For the curious, I noticed and corrected a formatting error in the 'Major Wounds' calculation that was returning an invalid number. Now I'm just going through the forms and making sure that I didn't overlook anything else.

Once I'm reasonably satisfied that the sheets are bug-free I'll be uploading them to the downloads section I suppose. 

Cheers

Edited by NAJones
grammarz and stuffs
  • Like 2

• 2 years later...

For those who might still be interested, I updated these character sheets in the downloads section. The explanation of changes are included in the revision notes (mostly added some extra calculations, like armor penalties, sum of skill points added/allotted, some minor cosmetic adjustments, most calculated fields don't display a value until you enter a governing characteristic, etc.)

Edited by Nick J.
removed file
  • Like 4

Well, there's always something I guess. I did a bit more testing and I found a bug: Major Wound level was being calculated incorrectly (fixed in the new version).

Beyond that I added some quality of life fixes, and some additional fields that I always forget about until I need them.

• Separate fields for tracking current and original characteristics -- useful for characters that burn POW for Fey Magic, or get temporary boosts/banes from spells, etc.
  • A field for temporary hit points (for things like Quick Heal, or whatever other effects might temporarily boost HPs)
  • fields for tracking spell levels in memory and free INT (for you demoniac summoners)
  • A field for tracking temporary Magic Points from something like a Brazier or Staff
  • Reordered fields so you can comfortably tab through the document when you are filling out the sheet.
  • Added a few more miscellaneous tool-tips for some fields, to make rules references easier.

Test it out and let me know if something is wonky and I'll do my best to fix it ASAP.

Edited by Nick J.
removed link to a file that should be removed shortly
  • Like 3

Another update.

Why the change? My Major Wound calculation wasn't bugged after all, I was. Also, why the hell not?

List of changes

• went back to the old Major Wound calculation. Turns out I was crazy and spent too much time reading the BRP Big Gold Book, and realized that I had it right the first time (greater than half HPs in MW. Half or greater than HPs in BRP)
  • Cleaned up a few more typos, and added more tool-tips.
  • Added a couple of widgets: One rolls characteristics as per the standard method (3D6, save 2D6+6 for SIZ and INT), a widget to reset rolled characteristics, and two buttons to clear tick marks, one for lost HPs, the other for used MPs. These buttons are invisible if/when you print the sheet on paper.

Edited by Nick J.
removed link to a file that should be removed shortly
  • Like 1

• Nick J. changed the title to Form Fillable Adventurer Sheet for Magic World

First post updated. In a nutshell, I combined the two sheets into one and you can now toggle back and forth between standard hit points and heroic. I'm not sure why I didn't do this in the first place, but I blame my neophyte javascript skills when I started working on this a couple of years ago.

This is about as done as I can make it. I'll probably spend my time fiddling with my NPC sheet and add more critters from the bestiary to hopefully be useful to any GMs that are still playing Magic World (or Stormbringer/Elric!)

Sláinte

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

OK, I lied. I guess I'm not done after all.

This is a beta version that probably needs some stress-testing https://www.dropbox.com/s/3hi79ryp8fx88ea/MagicWorld CS (form-fillable)vBETA.2.2.0.pdf?dl=0

The reason it needs testing is that I made it so base skill percentages fluctuate up and down by species (according to the bestiary). It should all work, but undoubtedly one or two things will be wrong. If you're interested in playing around with this and being my defacto editor, send me a PM detailing the bug and I'll fix it before I push out a final update.

There are also some features that differ slightly from the current 2.0 sheet:

• You can use the weapons part of the sheet to more easily track your weapons skills, you can even enter in the type of weapon class (swords, hammers, blunt, bows, etc.) and it should calculate the correct characteristic modifier; you're still on your own to look up the base value and add in your own points.
  • Certain fields automatically populate with species' specific features/skills, etc. (dwarf earthsense, halfling thrown rocks, centaur's lore skill, etc.)
  • If you put "Lore (XYZ)" in a miscellaneous skill field it will automatically add the intelligence modifier.

EDIT:

New Beta version: I think I squished most of the bugs that were lingering, but it probably needs a few more passes.

Edited by Nick J.
Updated beta file
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Sheet is really and truly final (unless somebody reports a show-stopping bug).

See update notes attached to the file(s). There's a no-frills version, and a fancy-border version (identical, except for file-size).

Sláinte.

P.sFYI, if you like this sheet, I'm still hacking away at my form-fillable NPC sheet, which is really turning into more of a monster-generator at this point: Pick a species, click the dice button, and it automagically fills out attacks, lays out some notes, and will even have a chaotic features button you can use to generate features, and a virtual d100 you can click on in a pinch (buttons don't print). I've got 25 out of the 80 or so species done. I'll upload it in a few days once I'm done coding it.

• 2 weeks later...

Small bug-fix release: The Evaluate and Nature skill-total boxes were bugged (probably from copy-pasting a script and forgetting to change one digit). If you have Foxit reader, you can export all of the data from one sheet and import it into a clean sheet if necessary. Sorry for any inconvenience.

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Coronoides said:

Got a lot of use out of this already. Any chance of a *less* automated one for use with non-humans who have different base %’s ?

Pretty please.

Like what exactly? If you mean removing just the base percentages from the skill totals I could do it, but it wouldn't be a trivial amount of work. If you mean removing all of the JavaScript calculations in the skill totals then it would be a lot easier. For what it's worth the sheet is unlocked and can be edited by anyone for their own purposes; you can get a monthly subscription to Adobe (something like $15 a month IIRC) or Foxit Phantom ($8 a month).

Currently I'm awfully busy with a huge multi-year project that I'm trying to wrap up, so I don't really have any bandwidth to devote to this, otherwise I wouldn't mind tinkering with it.

Edited by Nick J.

4 hours ago, Nick J. said:

Like what exactly? If you mean removing just the base percentages from the skill totals I could do it, but it wouldn't be a trivial amount of work. If you mean removing all of the JavaScript calculations in the skill totals then it would be a lot easier. For what it's worth the sheet is unlocked and can be edited by anyone for their own purposes; you can get a monthly subscription to Adobe (something like $15 a month IIRC) or Foxit Phantom ($8 a month).

Currently I'm awfully busy with a huge multi-year project that I'm trying to wrap up, so I don't really have any bandwidth to devote to this, otherwise I wouldn't mind tinkering with it.

Hi. Yes I just mean removing all the base % from the skill totals. However, I’d be happy with all the Java Script removed. I have a very basic Adobe subscription so I can have bookmarks in my publications when I covert to PDF, however my understanding of computers is minimal. I’ll have a look at doing this myself if my minimal subscription is up to it. It’s just deleting right how hard can it be?

4 hours ago, Coronoides said:

Hi. Yes I just mean removing all the base % from the skill totals. However, I’d be happy with all the Java Script removed. I have a very basic Adobe subscription so I can have bookmarks in my publications when I covert to PDF, however my understanding of computers is minimal. I’ll have a look at doing this myself if my minimal subscription is up to it. It’s just deleting right how hard can it be?

Had a bit of a look. To edit I'll need to upgrade my subscription to $22AUD a month. For something I need just once and am not sure I have the skills to use even then its just not worth it. Looks like pencil and paper is my solution.

On 12/20/2018 at 7:05 PM, Coronoides said:

Had a bit of a look. To edit I'll need to upgrade my subscription to $22AUD a month. For something I need just once and am not sure I have the skills to use even then its just not worth it. Looks like pencil and paper is my solution.

Well, if it would be useful I'll tinker a little bit tonight and strip out all of the calculations in the sheet. It'd still be form-fillable, but would allow people who want total control over the fields to do whatever they want.

• Thanks 1