After The Vampire Wars is Out

cjbowser

I'm long past done with the sexy vampire elites, they're just cranky elves... but something more along the lines of the brutal ones in 30 Days of Night, unredeemable monsters, I'm still fond of that sort.

I could definitely get on with this as well .... :)

Get all our products at our website: www.devotedpublishing.com

Check Solace Games out on Facebook here!

• 3 weeks later...

Just got my copy the other day. I read some of the intro and history. So, far flipping through, it looks great, I will definitely be using elements from it if not the whole setting. On initial contact it seems like a mesh of Vampire/Shadowrun, but this is BRP so anything could happen.

Yeah I am slowly making my way though it. I am on page 67?.

Looks really good so far. Kinda gives me a True Blood vibe since it portrays the supernatural as being out in the open. The rules on "shadowing" are particularly interesting.

When I finish ATVW I plan to re-read Enlightened Magic as they hook up nicely.

• Like 1

Check out our homebrew rules for freeform magic in BRP ->

No reason for Ars Magica players to have all the fun!

Picked this up and am almost done reading it. 

The Good: Very well-written. A complete, well thought-out setting. 128 pages. It doesn't focus completely on vampires... you could run a complete campaign in this setting and never see a vampire. Or you could have nothing but vampire characters, vampire NPCs, and blood donors, if you're really into that. Lots of power levels, so you can have Normal-level minions (enthralled humans, low-level creatures from the Otherworld), characters and many NPCs at Heroic level (lycanthropes, awakened psychics, half-fae, lesser vampires, sorcerers), and some Epic-level NPCs that either employ or thwart the characters (elder vampires, fae, monitors). Or you could run a Call of Cthulhu-like campaign with nonpowered humans who have to face off against an elder vampire and his minions or other overpowering supernatural character. Or you could let the characters be Epic-level elder vampires and fae, facing off against others of their kind, as well as angels and demons, and possibly the U.S. military or intelligence agencies, the Russian government, or the vampire enclave in Siberia. 

Well thought-out powers. Effective use of the BGB with some tweaks and interesting additions. Lots of background on the history of the setting. Reading about the vampire wars gave me lots of ideas for scenarios. The Otherworld, the land of dreams, ghosts, and the fae, is reminiscent of the Sandman series by Neil Gaiman. In fact, this could be a nice base setting for characters going off and having adventures in the Otherworld that look like other settings. Parts of the Otherworld look like the wild west, medieval Europe, Victorian, and cyberpunk settings. Very easy to adapt this to fit your style of play--you can have a light, fun campaign with half-fae pop singers, goblin record producers, and lycanthrope bodyguards, or you could do a very dark campaign, ala Kolchak: The Night Stalker, except that Kolchak would be seriously outmatched if he faced an elder vampire. In fact, maybe Kolchak has already been turned into a vampire, and he has to serve his elder vampire master even as he's continuing to investigate supernatural crimes.

I like the idea of a team of human psychics, half-fae, lesser vampires, and lycanthropes investigating supernatural crimes, either as a civilian team working for law enforcement or a government agency, or working for a shadowy, possibly supernatural, private individual. Some of the characters might be "out" as supernatural; others would be hiding their nature from the general public. They would have to negotiate the human legal apparatus, public opinion about supernaturals, and the politics of local magician's guilds and vampire nests. Members of the team might have fought on different sides of the vampire wars, leading to some inter-team conflict... but this might also be an advantage, as it would widen their range of contacts. Their investigations would require frequent visits to the Otherworld to seek out information from ghosts and fae. At some point the team might face a moral dilemma if their employer asks them to do something unethical.

The Bad: Quite a few typos and grammatical errors, but in general they don't detract from the writing, and they don't confuse meaning. Lamination is already coming off the cover, which doesn't bode well for its durability. Although Enlightened Magic is optional, you probably need it if you're going to include magicians or elder vampires in the campaign. I would strongly suggest you have a copy if you're going to run a campaign. Basic Creatures would also come in handy; it is briefly referred to. Interior art isn't as good as the cover. I wish it had a sample adventure and some pre-rolled characters and NPCs.

The Bottom Line: There are lots of ideas for campaigns here, but this isn't a ready-to-go adventure. If you like rolling up your own characters and NPCs, and you like creating your own scenarios, and you are willing to buy or already own Enlightened Magic, it's well worth the money. 

• Like 1

I agree with your assessment Aelwyn. I really wish it had a scenario too. I do have Enlightened Magic and Basic Creatures. We've been doing a slow-moving, convert-as-you-go Shadowrun BRP game, and think this will fit in nicely. Haven't noticed the laminate coming off yet, though one of my group said his did, he reported it to Chaosium and they sent him another copy.

Edited by Hexelis

Possible my lamination problems are due to living in high-humidity Northern Virginia.

The setting is very rich and flexible: You could do Dresden files, Twilight (which I know everyone hates but I feel compelled to mention because it gives you an idea of the breadth of possibilities), Sandman (fae, magicians, ghosts, and the dreamworld), high-powered covert ops in the vampire enclave, or even a children's campaign where all the characters are human children, mischievous goblins, and semi-intelligent animals, living in a haunted house, helping the ghosts and trying to keep the human adults from figuring out that the family cat is actually from the Otherworld. I know some folks who do role-playing with their kids, so this might appeal to some. And if you want your vampires brutal and horrifying--and also have them be high-level politicians, criminals, and business owners--you can do that, too, quite easily. 

This is begging for an second volume that's packed with pre-rolled characters, NPCs, maps, and three or four adventures.

And Volume 2 has to include a lycanthrope motorcycle gang called The Wild Thangs. :)

I'm not into urban fantasy, but I really enjoyed reading After the Vampire Wars. 

• Like 1

Could it be they just ran out? If it is selling well maybe they will print more...

That's highly probable. After The Vampire Wars and Cthulhu Dark Ages 2nd ed were given small print runs so there world be some advance copies for sale at GenCon. In CDA 2e's case,  that small print run was an ashcan edition. Based on what I saw at GenCon, that looks to be the same with AtVW. Once GenCon was over, the left overs went up for sale on Chaosium.com.

A full, proper print run of CDA 2e will probably occur at some point later. It might be the same with AtVW. But, CoC 7e takes precedence over other stuff so they can close out that Kickstarter (as stated at GenCon).

That's highly probable. After The Vampire Wars and Cthulhu Dark Ages 2nd ed were given small print runs so there world be some advance copies for sale at GenCon. In CDA 2e's case,  that small print run was an ashcan edition. Based on what I saw at GenCon, that looks to be the same with AtVW. Once GenCon was over, the left overs went up for sale on Chaosium.com.

A full, proper print run of CDA 2e will probably occur at some point later. It might be the same with AtVW. But, CoC 7e takes precedence over other stuff so they can close out that Kickstarter (as stated at GenCon).

• 4 weeks later...

Cthulhu Dark Ages is being redone. After the Vampire Wars is being worked on too. They'll be back soon enough.

Rick, thanks a lot. I hugely appreciate Chaosium being present and responsive on these forums!

It seems there has never been so much stuff being worked on in ages. And still you find the time to post here. One has to recognize this is a dramatic change compared to the old management.

If answering to forums is dramatic change in management then Chaosium really was dead (but dreaming) :P

I understand it may seem funny, but it's a fact. The lack of communication from the old Chaosium was legendary.

For instance, here we were used to get some information from freelance authors, such as Ben or Jason, but I don't recall the former president of Chaosium ever posting here (correct me if I'm wrong). Things started to improve, however, when Ben was briefly hired by Chaosium.

Anyway, it is very good to see Rick posting here.

Edited by smiorgan

Direct communication with authors and publishers is a great thing, it creates a sense of community and I think it also works two-fold in that fans feel much more invested in products that are produced. In an indie hobby industry like this, it is the edge needed to stand out from the crowd.

Look at the concern raised when Ben Monroe was announced to be no longer working at Chaosium. Ben's enthusiasm for MW and all BRP was almost palatable within this forum and elsewhere. I bought MW simply because he was author and would express himself directly to us fans. 

RQ6's popularity is also in no small part due to the authors communication on sites like this as well as their own forum. Likewise with Newt showing up here with OQ, DoomedPC with Renaissance, and yourself Paolo with your products, now including Revolution D100

The Moon Design team have been very communicative on their own forum and the G+ posts, so I expect a bit of input on sites like BRP Central will also happen, considering they are now the current publishers of the BRP system.

Good to see Rick's comments here. I agree that from a PR point of view, communication is invaluable

Edited by Mankcam
  • Like 3

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

Yeah I feel the same way. I have bought only one book from Alephtar but BRP Rome was full of awesomeness. Later I found BRP Central and saw Paolo participating in conversations with his customers. Those two things made it easy for me to support the Revolution D100 kickstarter despite me being totally new to crowd sourcing. I want Alephtar to succeed and will contribute towards that goal...

Yeah, I am supporting Revolution D100 because if I do, then at least another BRP licencee keeps thriving, and having a wider range of options to play with is always good.

However the rules plug-ins discussed so far have really been quite interesting, and I am really hoping this product gets funded as it looks like a great toolkit to add to the BRP family -  it will well worth backing the product for that alone.

Given that BRP GMs do tend to be tinkeres, then this will be invaluable. Fingers crossed it reaches publication, bigtime

But, back on topic, it is good to see that After The Vampire Wars was not briefly released only to become vapourware again. It will be interesting to see how it is with the BRP Essiential rules, and I suspect the earlier books with the BGB version may become sought after. I should of grabbed it when I had the chance.

Edited by Mankcam

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

I have and recently read AtVW and Snead did a good job (though the laminate on mine seems kinda iffy...). Having said that I am not a big fan of hit locations so I am likely to run it with the BGB and not the new BRP Essentials...

Snead's work on modern magic orientated games is always worth a look at. For me, they'd also be applicable for adding a few empowering aspects to a Call of Cthulhu game too - although this does require a bit more system conversion these days.

Still, Cthulhu Dark Ages,  Enlightened Magic and After the Vampire Wars would make for good purchases when they get fully released.

• Like 1

Snead's work on modern magic orientated games is always worth a look at. For me, they'd also be applicable for adding a few empowering aspects to a Call of Cthulhu game too - although this does require a bit more system conversion these days.

Still, Cthulhu Dark Ages,  Enlightened Magic and After the Vampire Wars would make for good purchases when they get fully released.

TrippyHippy,

Sorry if I missed it but is Enlightened Magic being re-released?  I think you can still buy it from Chaosium's website? 

Regarding the next version of After the Vampire Wars perhaps it will be combined with Enlightened Magic.  They certainly go well together..