Rise of the Runelords with Magic World?

Chorpa

We are currently running the Rise of the Runelords and are at the end of the second adventure Skinsaw Murders. We first started the campaign with the Pathfinder system but even though it works I do feel a bit uncomfortable with Pathfinder and it's power creep in stupid powers for each class. We have switched over to RM and in my opinion it directly improved the grittiness but still miss that fluid fast feeling. Have suggested for the players MW that still get the more realistic feel but a very easy fluid system. But I am a bit worried how the later adventures will treat the MW characters since the opposition can get quite crazy. Using Heroic HPs for the characters is a good step to give the characters an edge in the otherwise combat heavy campaign. But I wonder if anyone else have used an Paizo Adventure Path and can give feedback on how it worked for them?

I haven't done it personally, but I do know that, like you said, the powercreep goes up really fast so unless your character's skills are keeping pace, it'll get crazy hard really fast. I'd personally allow heroic hit points (like you suggested) and probably a faster skill percentage progression. Or else just really scale back the NPC's in a crazy way and make them more attuned to where the player's are at, which might be a bit tricky, but after a few test runs you should get the hang of it.

• Like 1

Get all our products at our website: www.devotedpublishing.com

Check Solace Games out on Facebook here!

Yeah! Have no problem with scaling back and toning down NPCs and medium size creatures. Quite used to converting characters from D&D/Pathfinder to BRP/RQ and have it quite down how to scale them into a more appropriate skill levels. It is the abundance of the larger monsters (dragons, giants etc.) in the later part of the adventure that worries me. Just the size of them make them harder to scale down in challenge. But might be worth a try and have to help the adventures along with magic and stuff like that to keep up with the fast increasing challenges in the adventure. It is still just an idea that is far from realization but if it do happen I for sure will report my feedback for other gamers with the same idea. :-)

I don't think there's anything wrong with calling for experience skill raise rolls more frequently to make up for the "level increases " in Pathfinder. Depending on the length of your sessions, maybe after each session, or every couple hours...?

• Like 1

Author QUASAR space opera system: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/459723/QUASAR?affiliate_id=810507

My Magic World projects page: Tooleys Underwhelming Projects

I don't think there's anything wrong with calling for experience skill raise rolls more frequently to make up for the "level increases " in Pathfinder. Depending on the length of your sessions, maybe after each session, or every couple hours...?

Yes actually didn't thing about that but feels it is a given or after each chapter in each adventure. The current adventure is divided in 7 parts and each part is usually like a mini-adventure or a location covered within the full adventure. Each adventure is quite long ones so experience roll after each session or Part for sure would be in place. We usually have a quite long session for about 9-10 hrs on average when we play.

• Like 1

To make experienced characters more powerful/ survivable try the following:

1- As in older editions of Stormbringer, let the magic-using characters increase their POW stat more easily (after POW:POW rolls against stronger opponents or after training immediately increase POW by 1d4-1 instead of using the normal method of rolling below 21). Furthermore, POW goes beyond the normal human limit of 21. High power is essential for lots of powerful magics, including Deep Magic and demon binding.

2- Every spell occupies 1 INT slot irrespectively of how many levels it has. This reverts to the Elric! rule and is crucial for using effectively moe powerful magic.

3- Having implemented the above critical fixes, use all the options in Advanced Sorcery. Including Arete rules for non-magic using characters.

4- Be generous with allegiance points, and, once per session, allow to roll under their allegiance to avoid a deadly blow (they are unconscious instead). You can also use the BRP Mythic Iceland allegicance rules with a starting allegiance of 25+1D6 to a specific deity. Mythic Iceland proposes specific allegiance benefits for the various Norse gods. They are easy to translate/ adapt to Golarion's pantheon.

5- Skills increase by 1d10, professional skills increase by 2d6.

Edited by smiorgan

• 4 weeks later...

With the casting of Raise Dead, I bring this thread back to life.

One thing you may want to incorporate is the RQ6 method of skill increases. In it, when a player rolls to see how much a skill improves, instead of 1d6, he rolls 1d4+1 on a success. This gives a nice increase if 2-5%. Now, the part I like, is that if the improvement roll fails, the skills still increases by 1%. This means that at "low level", most skills will have a chance to improve by 2-5%, but when skills get to higher levels, they will improve slower, at 1%, but that's still improvement. That means that a player that has a high skill and an unlucky streak for 10 sessions in a row, will still have improved their skill by 10%.

This rate of advancement may be better for a campaign that is trying to keep up with D&D.

Rod

• Like 2

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

"D100 - Exactly 5 times better than D20"