A Revolution for D100

RosenMcStern

Guest Vile Traveller

Could you add a funding level for Print + PDF of Revolution D100 plus PDF of Merrie England: Robyn Hoode? Between Undercover Revolutionary and True Revolutionary?

Also, what's the difference between Merrie England and Merry England: Robyn Hoode? If I get ME:RH do I still need ME?

I can't get Paypal to work, I'll have to try my credit card next. I've had problems with both Paypal and my card refusing to deal with crowdfunding sites before, I hope it works out this time or I shall have to have words ...

Paypal fixed, says Ulule.

As for Robyn Hode, it will contain as much information from the previous ME books as it fits into it without denaturating it. So it will be useful to both those who have the BRP edition of ME and those who don't.

If there is more demand, I have agreed with Simon that we will publish a sort of "Companion" with all the stuff from ME: the Age of Chivalry that we could not fit into Robyn Hode (including the original campaign).

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

Hi Trenton,

I have just registered on therpgsite but the activation link is not showing yet. I do not particularly like that site, but I must admit that I have an account on Ron Edwards' personal forum (which I have not used for three years now, after he insulted me one time too much), so it would be unfair to leave your questions there unanswered because I disagree with the Pundit&Co. on many subjects. I don't want to be a rpg snob :)

About the info you wanted... basically, Revolution is a D100 game that is not afraid of addressing some points that should have been addressed 30+ years ago, and are often left to the GM. Our point is "Do not restrain yourselves from giving the GM and the players a very structured set of tools to handle the game. They do not need to be told that they can change it: they already know. It is the unexperience GM/group that you have to address the most, as they are the ones who need your advice."

That said, while the game is full of advice about "how to run a storybuilding game with D100", it is also usable the classic way. You will know which part not to use, if you do not like this approach. The rest is still crunchy (and brutal) enough to leave you with the feeling of "old school" RuneQuest or Cthulhu. Last time we tested the advanced combat rules, my PC got cut in half by a blow he had parried. Nuff said ;)

Yet, the game is structured so that it gives you a choice. It does not mandate a style, it proposes it. Our hope is that you will find our proposals useful to build your own preferred style of D100 gaming.

You will find a link to earlier versions of the game (labeled as Parpuzio) in the Revolution forum on this site. But many things have changed since those version, so this is just about the basic idea of the game.

The rest, Charles, Simon and I will address on Ulule.com as the campaign goes on. Expect an update every two days at least, and we still have 44 days to go...

It's an unusual term that I used in order to not scare people (you for instance?) who had bad experiences with some theories ;)

Seriously, what I meant is a game where players are empowered as much as the GM, but do not usurp the GM's role. The key here is to distinguish between the role of the GM as "responsible for the world and its internal consistency" and as "responsible for the ultimate outcome of players' actions". In Revolution, as in all classic games, the GM is in charge of the former role (no exception: the GM runs the world!), but his or her authority is limited when invested of the latter role.

This enables players to push the story in the direction they want (no railroading!) while leaving the GM in charge of everyhing that is not directly related to character action.

It's as simple as that, but most games make the GM a figure who is above the rules in order to secure the fact that he or she has authority over the world. This does not happen with Revolution: the role of the GM is well defined. His or her responsibility is huge, but limited.

Seriously, what I meant is a game where players are empowered as much as the GM, but do not usurp the GM's role. The key here is to distinguish between the role of the GM as "responsible for the world and its internal consistency" and as "responsible for the ultimate outcome of players' actions". In Revolution, as in all classic games, the GM is in charge of the former role (no exception: the GM runs the world!), but his or her authority is limited when invested of the latter role.

Still clear as mud to me... "responsible for the ultimate outcome of players actions"? Do you mean adjudicating the results of dice rolls? Telling Players what happens when they do stuff?

You're saying a GM in R-D100 doesn't do those things? Players decide what the dice results mean?

Edited by Simlasa

I'm afraid I have to agree with Simlasa. What RosenMcStearn wrote is complete sophistry; no insult intended. Gives me pause for how clear and coherent the writing will be for this. I think I'll just go for the pdf and upgrade to a physical book once I've seen the draft.

132/420

Still clear as mud to me... "responsible for the ultimate outcome of players actions"? Do you mean adjudicating the results of dice rolls? Telling Players what happens when they do stuff?

You're saying a GM in R-D100 doesn't do those things? Players decide what the dice results mean?

Revolution has a clear procedure for determining the result of any interaction with the world (with interactions not being limited to one single die roll in most cases). There is no "the GM is the final arbiter of what a die roll means": The rules say who describes the outcome of an action, and how nasty the Narrator may be when it is his or her turn to adjudicate consequences. And yes, the Narrator still has the power to be nasty.

But as Jack Tar correctly pointed out, discussing this at abstract level has a significance close to zero in practical game terms. The currently-available public draft is not really clear about this point, and I am not going to quote pieces of a work-in-progress manuscript to explain my point better. This could end up being more confusing than clarifying. But we will be disclosing things a little bit at a time during the campaign. You have 44 days left to decide whether Revolution is for you or not, and we will use this time to make frequent updates about what the system will be. I encourage you to use all of this time to form your opinion, and only support us if you really think the game is ok for you.