A Revolution for D100

RosenMcStern

BRACE YOURSELVES, D100 IS COMING

All things living change and evolve. Life demands growth and evolution. If you do not experience change, you are like dead (although Strange Aeons might fix even this problem).

As we are not eager to wait for Strange Aeons to come, it is time for us to experience change.

For the last few years, Alephtar Games has produced various supplements and accessories for role-playing games in the English language, some of which greatly appreciated by the public. However, none of these products was usable alone and all required other products (game systems) published by top quality game makers which licensed their trademarks to us. This restriction is no longer compatible with our business plans. Particularly when almost all products we offer in other languages are of the stand-alone type.

Therefore, Alephtar Games wishes to step on and take full responsibility for the game system that its English language products use. As our publishing experience is mostly based on percentile systems, we will follow the road we know the best.

In autumn 2015, Alephtar Games will crowdfund and launch its own d100-based roleplaying game. The provisional name for the system is RevolutionD100 – but it might change during the beta test phase. We hope that our existing customers will appreciate the new possibilities that this opens for us and for them.

What will be in the game?

• A new way of using percentile dice, with levels of success and opposed rolls but without any calculations.
  • A streamlined system to run everything significant as a conflict, with simple rules that resemble those of classic RPG combat.
  • A neat and simple way to differentiate the role of stats and skill. No direct skill/stat interaction, yet both have a major role in any conflict.
  • Basic combat that runs like any other conflict, for those games where violence is not the focus.
  • Optional advanced combat with a deep level of detail, yet still based on the same principles. These are some features of advanced combat:
    • Seamless transition from non-combat to combat: achievements and penalties from other adventures carry over to combat as penalties for player characters or the opposition.
    • A fatigue system that actually works in combat (okay, you will have to see this to believe it…)
    • A new hit location system with an adjustable level of complexity. Roll the die you like!
    • Combat effects! An entirely (well, almost) new list!
    • Simple implementation of combat stunts.
    • Do-it-yourself system to determine your weapons stats. For all of you compulsive rule-tinkerers!
  • Inserts that allow you to “fall back” to more classic rules as defined in other OGL percentile-based games. While the game will be original and self-contained, you can choose to skip most of the innovative parts and use a classic approach taken from a similar ruleset. You will still need a copy of the other game, of course.
  • Open Game License that allows you to create and publish your own homebrew version of the game.
  • No default setting. Most supplements produced by Alephtar Games are of the Historical Fantasy genre. We will make sure that you can use them as a starter, so that a first choice of settings is immediately available, at least for our most faithful customers.

Publishing format

• A free, public System Reference Document (SRD) that acts both as a reference for play and as a free gateway to the game system for those who want to learn about it before purchasing.
  • A standard printed edition, which contains the rules found in the SRD, some extra gaming hints and the “Fallback” inserts that will help you hybridize it with other rules.
  • A commercial PDF edition equivalent to the printed edition.

Roadmap to publication

• September 2015: launch of the crowdfunding
  • October 2015: beta test document sent to backers for public playtest
  • Autumn 2015: public beta test among backers (can you miss it?)
  • January 2016: consolidation of the SRD
  • Spring 2016: delivery of the full game, in print and PDF
  • Like 2

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

Hi 

I am probably out on a limb so....

I'm not really into rules systems as such but if you give me a sh*t hot campaign (a la Borderlands/Masks of Nyarlathotep/Enemy Within/Alchemists Wife etc) to go with it then I may be interested. BRP scenarios are so closely related that you can swap and change things at will. You need to get your best story writers on to this not rules lawyers. I am sure a rule system will live or die by this mantra.

My tuppence worth, that's all

Ed

That would be pretty sweet. I've got a campaign outline for a Mecha game. How much of a difference in the way mecha are statted do you anticipate between BRP Mecha and Revolution Mecha?

Hard to sayt at this point, As you can see the currently available version of the rules has no SIZ but only Size class (but this might change by popular demand). Mechas in BRP Mecha have both SIZ and Size class, so there might be some changes in the stats. But this is still work in progress. In general, things will end up being simplified, and many features of BRP Mecha will become standard in Revolution. So the changes will be there, but they will not be dramatic. At least I hope.

So odds are it will be more of a discard some stats that don't exist thing? I personally like having a SIZ stat, but BRP Mecha doesn't use it beyond generating HP, and Size class is used for a lot more. It feels like there might be a loss of granularity, but it's probably meaningless granularity that gets lost.

My roleplaying blog: Axes and Orcs. Scramblings of anime, D&D, and RQ-derived games.

• 2 weeks later...

Will other BRP supplements be compatible with RevolutionD100? For example stats, skills, spells, monsters?

I really am looking forward to Fatigue rules - especially in combat.

Also, I would want every RPG system to have rules for mental stress or something. May be sanity is too much, but things like how calm can you be in stressful situations. Will you panic? Like the much hated "shaken" mechanic in Savage Worlds - you may be mightily strong, but if you are weak mentally - you will hide and cover when shit hits the fan.

I like when system punishes you when you make a character with a dumpstat.

Loads of questions here, thanks for the opportunity to explain things, Jux.

You can find example stat blocks in the "Official Ulule updates" thread, and decide by yourself how compatible these stats are. The main difference is the absence of SIZ, but it is quite easy to eyeball the stats of a particular monsters in RD100 once you have them for another BRP derivative (each SIZ Class above M is +10 SIZ and STR). And, as stated, if this turns out to be too annoying during beta test, SIZ might make a flamboyant return in the final version of the rules.

Mental stress can be handled with the generic conflict rules: being in a creepy situation may trigger a WIL conflict at the Narrator's option, and any consequence you gain from it will probably be labeled "Mental stress" or "Fear" - probably "Panic" if you lose the conflict. Specific examples of this are already in the existing text of the rules. The core rulebook will not include an advanced option for this, for one specific reason: if you wish to have detailed rules for fear in a d100 ruleset, you know where to look :)

As for the dumpstat, there is no system that punishes you more than Revolution for this, because ALL stats can be called for to create your "hit point" pool for a conflict, particularly CHA. The Narrator can always start a conflict based on a stat if the situation is suitable, and if you put 6 in it you will lose the conflict at the first failed roll. If you put 8, you have a 50% of losing the conflict at the first failed roll. This is a huge disadvantage, and skill alone cannot offset it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just a comment which has not much to do with the rules: the Revolution forum can be seen and accessed only by those who have an account. Is this on purpose ? Lurking visitors cannot see it (and I desperately looked for it the last few days before I eventualy signed up).

Edited by Zit

Wind on the Steppes, role playing among the steppe Nomads. The  running campaign and the blog

Another thought: if the BRP Central has to be the main forum for discussions about the rules, it is time to organize it. There are ideas spread over different topics and within a short time, it will become a mess and infos may get lost. I suggest for example  to make a topic for each theme, for example one for each chapter, where the specific rules will be discussed.

Wind on the Steppes, role playing among the steppe Nomads. The  running campaign and the blog

Just a comment which has not much to do with the rules: the Revolution forum can be seen and accessed only by those who have an account. Is this on purpose ? Lurking visitors cannot see it (and I desperately looked for it the last few days before I eventualy signed up).

Thanks for spotting this! Fault was with the parent forum so this affected AEONS too. Corrected now!

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

Your website mentions a beta test document.  Is that something I can get my hands on now that I've backed the project?  I've started the BRP Ravenloft thread over at RPGNet back up and I'm seriously considering jumping from Magic World over to Revolution for it.

70/420

• 8 months later...

Will there be a decent built-in cybernetics system? Cybernetics in BRP itself are very lacking.

Also, are you still using the core wealth system?

I'm 100% on board with you using the Cybernetics and Resource Points rules I designed, as optional rules. I don't even care if you make a profit from it, because I just want to see it included in a D100 System Book that's actually being printed... And right now, while I am already planning on buying D100 Revolution, adding those two things in some form would make it a much more important (And pressing) purchase.

1 hour ago, Link6746 said:

Will there be a decent built-in cybernetics system? Cybernetics in BRP itself are very lacking.

As an aside, River of Heaven (OQ) has a good range of cybetnetic/biological enhancements, although I'm not sure how easy it is to obtain a copy of the rulebook.

It may be interesting to see how Revolution D100 handles things like this.

Edited by Mankcam
  • Like 1

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

8 hours ago, Mankcam said:

As an aside, River of Heaven (OQ) has a good range of cybetnetic/biological enhancements, although I'm not sure how easy it is to obtain a copy of the rulebook.

It may be interesting to see how Revolution D100 handles things like this.

Printed copies are easily available to get via Drivethrurpg.com as Print on Demand, and I'm working to make them available directly from me via a webstore.

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/3240/D101-Games

• Like 1

Head Honcho of D101 Games
Publisher of Crypts and Things/Monkey/OpenQuest/River of Heaven
The Sorcerer Under the Mountain

12 hours ago, Link6746 said:

The rules for Science are thought for the steampunk genre, but I see no problem in adapting it to cybernetic implants. The example provided includes the designing of a small clockwork spider. It will be easy to adapt the rules to the creation of implants. Furthermore, you may have noticed that one of the sample characters was Robocop, and included his famous cybernetic abilities expressed as RD100 traits/stunts.

A more detailed treatment of cybernetics with dozens of pre-defined implants will probably need the appearance of a dedicated cyberpunk supplement. We cannot include everything in the core.

The core rules, in any case, allow for self-design and self-implementation of implants. A la Deus Ex.

Also, are you still using the core wealth system?

Yes. Although it will not be mandatory. Merrie england, for instance, will use currency values for prices.

I'm 100% on board with you using the Cybernetics and Resource Points rules I designed, as optional rules. I don't even care if you make a profit from it, because I just want to see it included in a D100 System Book that's actually being printed... And right now, while I am already planning on buying D100 Revolution, adding those two things in some form would make it a much more important (And pressing) purchase.

Ah, you mean paying us for things that you have written? That sounds aceptable, yes. :)

Jokes aside, where are thiese rules? In the download section?