Dark Streets (Runners vs Mythos) 2nd Edition PDF out now!

doomedpc

Dark Streets 2nd Edition is out! Now a standalone rulebook, with the Renaissance D100 system streamlined to better fit the world of 18th century Cthulhu Mythos investigation, it's available now as a PDF, with hardback coming to your local friendly game store in December via Studio 2 Publishing. Why not give a boost to our plans for world domination by pre-ordering the print copy?

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/156813/Dark-Streets-2nd-Edition--Core-Rulebook?src=newest

The Adventures of the Bow Street Runners in their Struggle against the Minions of the Cthulhu Mythos

London, 1749: A city of vice, crime and misery. Gangs of ruffians rule the streets, unopposed. Brothels proliferate. Child-beggars starve in filthy gutters. Corrupt night-watchmen and thief-takers turn a blind eye to wrong-doing. And dark creatures lurk in back alleys, called from beyond by the desperate with nothing left to lose.

But there is a new force on the streets of London; for the author and magistrate Henry Fielding has teamed up with his brother John to form the city’s first police force – the Bow Street Runners. The Fieldings have persuaded parliament to fund their crime-fighting endeavour, but they know that there is something behind the vice – for John Fielding’s blind eyes can see things that others cannot – things that man was not meant to know.

Dark Streets is stand-alone role-playing game in which players take on the roles of officers in London’s first, desperately small, police force, investigating the dark secrets behind the sordid crimes of eighteenth century London. A mixture of authentic history and the cosmic horror of H.P. Lovecraft, using the Renaissance D100 system, Dark Streets comes to you from the UK Games Expo Award-winning authors of Abney Park’s Airship Pirates, Clockwork & Chivalry, Pirates & Dragons and the OneDice series.

And look out for Gin & Hellfire, a book of adventures for the Dark Streets system.

• Like 4

Peter Cakebread

>:>Cakebread&WaltonO:)

Purveyors of Fine Imaginings

Dark Streets is stand-alone role-playing game in which players take on the roles of officers in London’s first, desperately small, police force, investigating the dark secrets behind the sordid crimes of eighteenth century London. A mixture of authentic history and the cosmic horror of H.P. Lovecraft, using the Renaissance D100 system, Dark Streets comes to you from the UK Games Expo Award-winning authors of Abney Park’s Airship Pirates, Clockwork & Chivalry, Pirates & Dragons and the OneDice series.

I have never played Renaissance or for that matter CoC but Dark Streets sounds sooo fun... How does the magic system compare to standard BRP? Does this game include clockwork mechanisms?

Edited by rsanford
To remove the reference to RoleThruRPG - I didn't read carefully
  • Like 1

Check out our homebrew rules for freeform magic in BRP ->

No reason for Ars Magica players to have all the fun!

Dark Streets 2nd Edition is out! Now a standalone rulebook, with the Renaissance D100 system streamlined to better fit the world of 18th century Cthulhu Mythos investigation, it's available now as a PDF, with hardback coming to your local friendly game store in December via Studio 2 Publishing. Why not give a boost to our plans for world domination by pre-ordering the print copy?

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/156813/Dark-Streets-2nd-Edition--Core-Rulebook?src=newest

The Adventures of the Bow Street Runners in their Struggle against the Minions of the Cthulhu Mythos

London, 1749: A city of vice, crime and misery. Gangs of ruffians rule the streets, unopposed. Brothels proliferate. Child-beggars starve in filthy gutters. Corrupt night-watchmen and thief-takers turn a blind eye to wrong-doing. And dark creatures lurk in back alleys, called from beyond by the desperate with nothing left to lose.

But there is a new force on the streets of London; for the author and magistrate Henry Fielding has teamed up with his brother John to form the city’s first police force – the Bow Street Runners. The Fieldings have persuaded parliament to fund their crime-fighting endeavour, but they know that there is something behind the vice – for John Fielding’s blind eyes can see things that others cannot – things that man was not meant to know.

And look out for Gin & Hellfire, a book of adventures for the Dark Streets system.

Okay... Two more questions... I have only played straight BRP and Stormbringer. How hard will the Renaissance system be to pick up? What are the biggest differences between Stormbringer and Renaissance?

Okay... Two more questions... I have only played straight BRP and Stormbringer. How hard will the Renaissance system be to pick up? What are the biggest differences between Stormbringer and Renaissance?

It shouldn't be that hard. Pretty straight forward d100 game. I would say about halfway between Stormbringer/Magic World and BRP (I assume your talking BGB with RQ3 level options in place) in terms of crunch. 

SDLeary

Edited by SDLeary
  • Like 2

What are the changes for the second edition? How much do I gain if I already have the first edition?

There's some stuff in there from a couple of the PDF only supplements. All the rules are now in the corebook. We've taken out rules and systems that aren't needed in the setting. So, for instance, the Righteousness rules have been removed, because we've never found anyone who used them when playing DS, though we've kept the organisations for people who want to join them or use them as adversaries. The magic system has been stripped right back and simplified so that it only covers Mythos magic. Character creation has been simplified so that it only covers professions suitable for the campaign. Weapons and equipment not available in the 18th century have been removed, etc. The idea is to make it easier for people who have never played other Renaissance games to dive right in. The adventure seeds are still in the book, but the Gin & St Giles adventure is being moved to a compilation with Hellfire and The Mystery of the Missing Professor.

But if you're happy with the current edition, and running from the two books, it's probably not worth your while. :-)

Peter Cakebread

Holy crap! That's out of left field!

Do you plan to have a bundled pdf and hardback at some point? Or perhaps provide a discount on the hardback for those that purchase the pdf now?

Studio 2 doesn't do Bricks & Mortar, but it's a model we're committed to, so we are going to try and make sure free PDFs are available to those buying from their FLGS. We aren't able to discount future sales of hardbacks to those who want the PDFs - which is a shame (but we don't really have a system for it, particularly as our print books will be available from ourselves, and at conventions and instore from Studio 2 - there's just no simple mechanism for making it work, though I'll give feedback to Drivethru about the idea).

Peter Cakebread

When can we quaff Gin and feel the Hellfire?

About hardbacks and PDFs: At least in Germany an increasing number of publishers (okay - two) have included codes for PDFs in their books. So you simply buy the book and get the PDF for free. I like to get a PDF because it makes things easier (i don't have to riun books with markers, can get the maps easily etc.) but I don't really dig them - I want dead trees! PDFs are a bonus, the book is the real product.

• Like 1

Hi,

Yes, I prefer books too, though my PDF collection is ever growing (Ken's the opposite, he likes to read on his tablet). If you want a hardback with a free PDF, it'll be available in stores and on the Drivethru website - the hardback of Dark Streets 2nd Ed will be out soon.

We just can't do it the other way round (i.e. we can't give a discount on a future purchase of the hardback if you buy the PDF now).

Gin and Hellfire shouldn't be too long - we have all the material already.

Edited by doomedpc

Peter Cakebread

Thanks SDLeary!

Does Renaissance use hit locations?

Hit locations only in the sense of major wounds being applied to certain body parts. Not HP per hit location like RuneQuest.

Dark Streets/Renaissance uses a major wound table, like Elric!/Stormbringer 5th. Not as many table entries, but with 2 degrees of damage inflicted. (A 'serious' wound in the case of more than 1/2 HP damage received but HP remains above 0, and a 'grave' wound in the case that HP drop to 0 or lower). The location hit is determined by the 'units' die roll on d100 (the ones-digit).

• Like 1

Thank you!

I will pick up the hard copy when it comes out. 

I am not sure of the time period but could you use this setting to do sort of a Jack the Ripper mystery kind of game?

Well, quite possibly with some work. There's about 140 years of time between the era that Dark Streets is set and when Jack the Ripper committed murders, so there'll be some technology and social differences to work around.

For some perspective on the setting, I'd recommend checking out the BBC mini-series "City of Vice". It's available on Netflix.

• Like 2

Thank you!

I will pick up the hard copy when it comes out. 

I am not sure of the time period but could you use this setting to do sort of a Jack the Ripper mystery kind of game?

All you need for a Jack the Ripper scenario is any crowded city (which London was as this time, just smaller in diameter) and a madman with a sharp knife. So I think most definitely yes.

• 2 weeks later...

Do you think the book will be ready for the Christmas season? 

For those of us in the US, will there be the ability to get the book and not just the PDF through DriveThruRPG?  (I have the Dark Streets PDFs and the Renaissance PDF and book but as this version of Dark Streets is formatted exactly how I'd like to see every book with the rules and the setting integrated I'd like to get a printed version of the 2nd edition of the book. (I'm assuming that maps, etc. haven't changed and thus the older PDFs are still good for all that.)

Edited by Mysterioso

Thanks, Mysterioso :)

It should be in the stores by Christmas - Studio 2 will be distributing to FLGS, and we'll have it up on Drivethru.

The maps haven't changed, so the older PDFs will work fine.

Peter Cakebread

• 2 weeks later...

So it sounds like I'll be able to pick up the book and pdf bundled together from Leisure Games.

Has the map of London been optimised for pdf reading?

Is Dark Streets now its own OGL source text? i.e., could I develop my own game directly from the Dark Streets 2 book? If so, I think you just saved me a lot of work.

132/420

Hi Jack,

The Renaissance SRD is OGL (and available for free), Dark Streets is copyright Cakebread & Walton.

Yes, you should be able to get the book from Leisure Games once Studio 2 have released it (and be sure to leave Studio 2 a note when buying, and they'll let us know you have purchased a copy, and we'll send the PDF for free).

I find the map works brilliantly as a PDF - but I am not the tech person (Ken does that!), so if anyone else has any issues/nice things to say about the maps, fire away :)

Cheers,
peter

Peter Cakebread

• 3 weeks later...
On September 16, 2015 at 11:54:21 AM, doomedpc said:

Happy to preorder but doesn't this link only refer to the pdf? Am I missing something obvious?

Ronnie