I wish for BRP Essentials to be ...

Guest Vile Traveller

I wish for BRP Essentials to be ...  

146 members have voted

1. 1. What system would you like Chaosium's proposed BRP Essentials to be based on?

• The Big Gold Book
    • Call of Cthulhu 7
    • Chaosium RuneQuest
    • Magic World
    • Worlds of Wonder
    • HeroQuest

Well since we're dreaming... RuneQuest and Call of Cthulhu can both be made using the tools in BRP. So in my dream, they keep BRP BRP and add the the stuff from RQ and CoC7 as more Optional Rules, they print a second edition of BRP with hardcover, full color (like CoC7). They keep CoC6 but with the hardcover, full color, 2 book design (like CoC7). RQ becomes a BRP supplement. And of course they all sell, sell, sell and Chaosium becomes more powerful than ever. Then I woke up.

• Like 4

And of course they all sell, sell, sell and Chaosium becomes more powerful than ever. Then I woke up.

Their using the "Everything I learned about marketing I learned from Star Wars" method with regards to trimming down the book. To quote Ben Kenobi from Episode 4:

"If you cut me down, I will become more powerful than you can possibly imagine". :)

Rod

• Like 4

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

"D100 - Exactly 5 times better than D20"

As has been stated here already, I'd really like to see BRP Essentials be the bare bones, no frills, pared down version of what is in the BGB. Something incredibly accessible to anyone new to Chaosium.

Also, without going through and agreeing with individual posts, I'd be excited to see anything that makes the game more basic and internally consistent, like doing away with the Resistance Table, utilizing easy modifiers like the difficulty ratings combined with + - 10% intervals, skill vs skill, and so on.

I guess my version sounds alot like OpenQuest...

• Like 1

Considering the announcement of the BRP Essentials book came from the same press release that discussed the moving forward of BRP as a line into the future, I find it strange that people doubt it will be based on BRP. However, it would be nice if it was streamlined to the degree that Magic World was, and maybe have linked conversion notes to both RQ and CoC.

Edited by TrippyHippy
  • Like 1

For me, considering that the same missive which announced a 32-page BRP Essentials and described it as the "...new core...rules..." is the same missive that relegated the BGB to POD or PDF (just what then exactly will the 'Essentials be essentials of and what's wrong with what we got?), all without so much as a mention of MW or its suppliments, it's rather simple: I don't trust the new Lunar Overlords to do anything beyond what they consider expedient, e.g. we're keeping BRP but we're letting its line editor go--thanks for all the fish.

Sorry Trippy, I know I sound bitter--and I am. Truly though, I am honestly glad there are those who, like yourself, still have faith in the company and their agenda. Mine is at such a low ebb that it wouldn't suprise me one bit if they offered a BRP Essentials based on...on...who knows what in their move toward unification.

Cheers!

Edited by Sunwolfe
punctuation

Present home-port: home-brew BRP/OQ SRD variant; past ports-of-call: SB '81, RQIII '84, BGB '08, RQIV(Mythras) '12,  MW '15, and OQ '17

BGB BRP: 0 edition: 20/420; .pdf edition: 06/11/08; 1st edition: 06/13/08

Considering the announcement of the BRP Essentials book came from the same press release that discussed the moving forward of BRP as a line into the future, I find it strange that people doubt it will be based on BRP.

It was the same "missive" that said, with RuneQuest now at Chaosium, the BGB was "unnecessary" and failed to mention Magic World at all; its title is very similar to an existing RQ product; my understanding is its being written by one of the co-authors of RQ6.

I think doubt is entirely understandable in light of what has been said and in the absence of any clear statement.

Everything that has been said since Moon Design took over at Chaosium suggests to me that they regard BRP-as-rules as merely a legacy thing, and intend to use the trademark going forward to indicate family resemblance to CoC 7e and RuneQuest "Not7!".

Cheers,

Nick

• Like 1

Roger that, Vile. My bad. It was late my-time and I got confused as to where the hell--which thread--I was in :-P

Present home-port: home-brew BRP/OQ SRD variant; past ports-of-call: SB '81, RQIII '84, BGB '08, RQIV(Mythras) '12,  MW '15, and OQ '17

BGB BRP: 0 edition: 20/420; .pdf edition: 06/11/08; 1st edition: 06/13/08

This.

It was written for people who had never played a role-playing game before. It included an explanation of how to read a D4. There were numerous, vivid examples of how the rules worked. There was even a solo scenario. It was only 16 pages and had only two tables. The character sheets took up a third of a page, 

This is what I want it to be based on.

BasicRoleplaying.thumb.jpg.ff34fd3553b3d

• Like 1

Hnn. Think I have three or four of those. One in a GW RQII boxed set, one my Hawkoon boxed set, one in storage at my daughters (Cardstock cover with the funky lettering) and I think I have a copy of the 2000's re-issue with the recycle art from the Straits of Chaos...

As covered in the Resistance table thread whoever, I think the third (arm-wrestling) example can be dropped - I'd certainly entirely forgotten it :D

Cheers,

Nick

I think the third (arm-wrestling) example can be dropped

Okay, but the line drawing of Burly Bob stays. Add the adventures from the current Quickstart, buff the weapons table to a full page with random stuff from the BGB (I like chainsaws, blowguns, and laser pistols), and we're done! 32 pages!

• Like 1

I am almost certain that it's going to be the BRP Quick-Start rules, minus Chapter 7: Adventures. The Quick-Start is now available for free from Chaosium Free Downloads or in print for US$11.95. BRP Essentials will be a renaming of that existing content, with the adventures removed for economic reasons. The print version will be similarly priced, possibly a buck or two cheaper, but they will likely still offer it as a pdf for free. It's a good business move, but it shouldn't be cause for either celebration or alarm. 

Jeff asked me to do a review of the manuscript in its current form, and it is assuredly not based on the existing BRP quick-start rules. 

• Like 1

Guest Vile Traveller

Jeff asked me to do a review of the manuscript in its current form, and it is assuredly not based on the existing BRP quick-start rules. 

You still have to vote in the poll.

Yeah, I've since realized I was completely wrong, and admitted it in the other thread. However, since this is the wishing thread, I still wish it was based on the original 16-page booklet from the early 1980s. And yeah, I know it's not going to be that, either.

............. Proofread

By someone who hasn't played BRP games for several decades, so will notice little wobbles, typos and inconsistencies that we old and bolds will just subconsciously work around

And

I'd like it to have some kind of unified powers system (like Jason Durrall tried to run out in the BRP play-test but slimmer, better and more all-encompassing)

Skills in 5% chunks

Rules for players making all of the rolls

Laid out like Elric! not everything subsequently published by Chaosium (that I've seen anyway)

• Like 1

Rule Zero: Don't be on fire

Unified powers would be high on my list as well, but I'm not sure a 32-page book will include any powers. That said, I don't think there's any reason you couldn't have a single mechanic for purchasing psionics, superpowers, magic, and powered mutations in character generation, and another single mechanic for using all of the above. And maybe such a simplified system would fit into 32 pages. 

Unified powers would be high on my list as well, but I'm not sure a 32-page book will include any powers. That said, I don't think there's any reason you couldn't have a single mechanic for purchasing psionics, superpowers, magic, and powered mutations in character generation, and another single mechanic for using all of the above. And maybe such a simplified system would fit into 32 pages. 

I wouldn't say that I am opposed to that. Still, I tend to associate BRP with having a lot of separate power systems all with their own flavor, quirks and power levels. It certainly couldn't hurt though, for one of those individual power power systems to be what you are describing. 

• Like 1

It could be something as simple as assigning every power a point value, assigning skill improvement a point value, and giving characters a certain number of points to spend in character creation, as is done with superpowers (but none of the other powers) in the BGB. Would make it a lot easier to do cross-genre campaigns.

• 1 month later...