I wish for BRP Essentials to be ...

Guest Vile Traveller

I wish for BRP Essentials to be ...  

146 members have voted

1. 1. What system would you like Chaosium's proposed BRP Essentials to be based on?

• The Big Gold Book
    • Call of Cthulhu 7
    • Chaosium RuneQuest
    • Magic World
    • Worlds of Wonder
    • HeroQuest

Here's the big trivia question for the day: Was there any material specifically published for Worlds of Wonder by Chaosium back in the day? I can't think of any articles in Different Worlds magazine, for example... Since we are going to reprint the boxed set as a book it would be nice to make it all the more complete by including any supplemental material Chaosium published for it.

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

4 hours ago, Rick Meints said:

Here's the big trivia question for the day: Was there any material specifically published for Worlds of Wonder by Chaosium back in the day? I can't think of any articles in Different Worlds magazine, for example... Since we are going to reprint the boxed set as a book it would be nice to make it all the more complete by including any supplemental material Chaosium published for it.

I don't actually recall any, but then I'm a fool that didn't pick up the full collection of DW when they moved from Albany. I think that anything that might have existed got folded into Steve's efforts for the stand alone Superworld game. Perhaps he has some tidbits tucked in a corner somewhere?

SDLeary

Edited by SDLeary

11 hours ago, Rick Meints said:

I can't think of any. All the Different Worlds material that interested me was for RuneQuest, back in the day. I am sure I'd have picked up anything that contained Worlds of Wonder material.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

From what I've been able to find on rpggeek.com, not including reviews of the game:

"Superworld Errata"  Different Worlds (#32, Jan 1984) by Steve Perrin.  Errata for the 1st Ed.

"Robot Safari" The Space Gamer #60, Feb 1983) by Donald F. Harrington.  A Worlds of Wonder adventure for 3-6 beginning characters.

"Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned." Anonymous

On 10/21/2016 at 3:04 PM, smiorgan said:

Does it mean that, apart from Mythic Iceland, there are no other standalone games planned for the moment?

(which would be entirely understandable, by the way, given the amount of time and resources you are investing in CoC, RQ and other projects)

I confess I'd love to see Stormbringer resurrected in some way. And Pendragon back at Chaosium. both with the kind of production values that we are seeing for CoC! 

I think we have to count both the new edition of RQ and the new "Mythic Iceland" as "BRPE" games.  I've seen a couple of reports of some sort of "noir detective" game (presumed BRPE) are also running about.

So that's 3 titles of BRPE, or at least "2 & probable 3rd" -- unless someone comes by to correct me, of course!

I can't cite/link the pages at the moment, but I'm pretty sure one of the Unholy Trio* (MOB/Jeff/Rick) have said that they DO have other games somewhere in early planning/proposal stages -- too early for ANY hints as to content, but reflecting their plans to keep publishing BRPE titles.

- Steve, the g33k

* If the rulers of Chaosium prefer a different collective term for themselves than "Unholy Trio," just say the word !  I mean, we already know about the Great Old Ones being returned, and it WAS the work of the Unholy Trio to rip a hole in the world to bring Chaos into it, so yeah, y'all enacted that heroquest pretty perfectly...

C'es ne pas un .sig

4 hours ago, g33k said:

I think we have to count both the new edition of RQ and the new "Mythic Iceland" as "BRPE" games.

Fair enough. RQ4 and Mythic Iceland makes 2 standalone BRP games, 3 if you count CoC7's variant BRP system.

4 hours ago, g33k said:

I've seen a couple of reports of some sort of "noir detective" game (presumed BRPE) are also running about.

Me too. But that was at a VERY early moment. Many plans have changed since then. Not sure this is still on the cards.

Let me say something quite heretical for BRP Central. I am a great fan of BRP/d100 systems and I was looking forward also to a slim BRP generic book (BRPE if you want)...

BUT

... for the future I care more about seeing a creative and innovative Chaosium rather than about a Chaosium producing a lot of BRP content.

I came to love Chaosium and BRP because of the great games of the past RQ, CoC, Stormbringer/ Elric!, Pendragon. These were all great solid games and innovative in many ways in setting and mechanics. BRP variants nicely supported these innovations and thus BRP became my system of choice.

I'd love to see that kind of creativity again, be it in BRP based games or completely separate engines. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, smiorgan said:

Fair enough. RQ4 and Mythic Iceland makes 2 standalone BRP games, 3 if you count CoC7's variant BRP system.

Me too. But that was at a VERY early moment. Many plans have changed since then. Not sure this is still on the cards.

They were still talking about it as a real, happening thing at Essen; that's not "early" that's very recent!  But it's still far from ready to announce (since they're only talking about it as a "working title" somewhere in the pipeline).

C'es ne pas un .sig

10 hours ago, smiorgan said:

Let me say something quite heretical for BRP Central. I am a great fan of BRP/d100 systems and I was looking forward also to a slim BRP generic book (BRPE if you want)...

BUT

... for the future I care more about seeing a creative and innovative Chaosium rather than about a Chaosium producing a lot of BRP content.

If there was a generic BRP, we, the players and GMs, could create our own BRP content with a centrally-supported ruleset to hang it on. (Admittedly this is what the BGB is for but that's a hefty tome.) This is without having to buy RQ4/CoC and tweaking those rules to our setting. We'd probably be unable to sell our own content but it could be made available through BRP Central for others to play and adapt.

Colin

12 hours ago, smiorgan said:

I'm all for creative but lot of the stuff I see pushed as 'innovative' is just gimmickry IMO. Just shifting the furniture around because you're bored and want to pretend you live in a new house. Meh.

I don't want a "NEW AND IMPROVED!!!" BRP... I want new settings, new resources to use with the games I've already got. A tweak here and there to push particular concepts, but not shredding what works to chase after the approval of those folks who can't seem to play a game for more than a few sessions without jumping systems.

Edited by Simlasa
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Simlasa said:

I'm all for creative but lot of the stuff I see pushed as 'innovative' is just gimmickry IMO. Just shifting the furniture around because you're bored and want to pretend you live in a new house. Meh.

Yeah, that's true today. As is the habit of breaking stuff up into groups, clans, houses, whatever, so companies can expanding the product line with supplements expanidng parts of the rules with more detailed versions.  But back when Chaosium was creative and innovative, it wasn't gimmicky it was "Wow!" stuff. For instance, in RQ all priests didn't use the exact same spell tables, rules. 

As far as BRP Esseintals go. If I had a choice, I prefer they  brought back the old 16 page book, and then a series of supplements along the lines of Worlds of Wonder. Maybe the Supplements could be a bit bigger than the WoW books, but something along those lines. Any settings that catch on could have additional material added in future supplements. 

Edited by Atgxtg
  • Like 2

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

3 hours ago, Simlasa said:

In fact, I was talking about what was innovative THEN. Runequest, Call of Cthulhu, Stormbringer and Pendragon were all very innovative games with simple interesting mechanics tied to their settings. Consider, for instance, cults (RQ), sanity (CoC), demon summoning and elan (Stormbringer) or passions and personality traits (Pendragon).

Are there games that are that innovative today? Some in my view are innovative. Take "The One Ring", for instance, nothing fancy for the sake of it, but solid mechanics that fit the setting and mood of the game.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, g33k said:

They were still talking about it as a real, happening thing at Essen; that's not "early" that's very recent!  But it's still far from ready to announce (since they're only talking about it as a "working title" somewhere in the pipeline).

Good. I did not know they talked about it at Essen.

10 minutes ago, smiorgan said:

In fact, I was talking about what was innovative THEN. Runequest, Call of Cthulhu, Stormbringer and Pendragon were all very innovative games with simple interesting mechanics tied to their settings. Consider, for instance, cults (RQ), sanity (CoC), demon summoning and elan (Stormbringer) or passions and personality traits (Pendragon).

Are there games that are that innovative today? Some in my view are innovative. Take "The One Ring", for instance, nothing fancy for the sake of it, but solid mechanics that fit the setting and mood of the game.

I think I'll print this. It might be the first post I've agreed with 100% - and that's including my own! :P 

• Like 1

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

36 minutes ago, smiorgan said:

Good. I did not know they talked about it at Essen.

https://www.rpg.net/columns/essenspiel2015/essenspiel20152.phtml --

Another line, detective oriented this time, is in the works. Its working title is Dark Detective, but apart from that I didn't manage to pry more information from Chaosium. I guess they would have had to kill me afterwards.

• Like 2

C'es ne pas un .sig

Guest Vile Traveller

As we're still posting in this thread: the complete Worlds of Wonder text including Basic Role-Playing has been converted to .docx format and sent to Rick. :)

• 3 years later...
Guest Vile Traveller

It's been a while since I checked back here - are there still plans to publish the compiled Worlds of Wonder book? And if there are, is there any sort of timeline?

• 5 weeks later...