Official updates from Ulule

RosenMcStern

Guest Vile Traveller

I guess the obvious question is what happens for skills over 100? 

Also, do you plan on having "disadvantage"?

Beaten to the punch by deleriad.

The current available draft says that when over 100 any roll below the number exceeding 100 is an advantage but this rule might be removed.

There is no Disadvantage. Fumbles will be an optional rule.

It's a good rule so I would keep it. I use it in my house rules. Currently any successful roll with a 1 for units and any roll below the number exceeding 100 is what I use. That said I tend to play fairly low powered games so it doesn't come into play much. Very tempted to switch (or at least try out) your system as it smooths the breakpoint at 100%.

Are you going to allow stacking advantages? e.g. skill 130%, roll 21, advantage from being less than 30 and for having tens bigger than units. Or is advantage simply binary: you have it or you don't?

A NEW WAY TO USE D100

Your ability to crit grows with your skill.

This is a great rule: this means that a skilled character not only hits more often, but also much better. I like it. And I find it even realistic. It also makes skill differences even more important, so that you souldn't need skill ratings as high as with the BRP to figure very powerful opponents. When converting a D100 game to Revolution D100, this should be taken into account.

Wind on the Steppes, role playing among the steppe Nomads. The  running campaign and the blog

It's a good rule so I would keep it. I use it in my house rules. Currently any successful roll with a 1 for units and any roll below the number exceeding 100 is what I use. That said I tend to play fairly low powered games so it doesn't come into play much. Very tempted to switch (or at least try out) your system as it smooths the breakpoint at 100%.

Are you going to allow stacking advantages? e.g. skill 130%, roll 21, advantage from being less than 30 and for having tens bigger than units. Or is advantage simply binary: you have it or you don't?

A lot of these details are open for player review during beta.

However, keep in mind that almost all rolls in Revolution are opposed, so the combinations allow for extra variety without the need to introduce new levels of success. There is one point you have to keep in mind: it is not how well you rolled that tells you the actual result, it is how many points you inflicted on your opponent at the end of the challenge. And this allows for a tremendous amount of variation. For instance, in some contexts you can use an advantage to transfer resolution points from your opponent's pool to yours instead of doing "double damage". It is these details that count, not "AHA I rolled a supercrit!"

Edited by RosenMcStern

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

The rate of critical-to-success rolls changes with skill

While other D100 games have one roll in twenty, ten, five or two being a special/critical success – no matter whether you are a rookie or a master – this is not the case in Revolution. At a meager 10% skill, only one roll in 10 is a special roll. Once you reach 50%, one roll out of five is significantly better. At a 100% mastery of an ability, one roll out of two is a master success. Your ability to crit grows with your skill.

Is this similar to the way Eclipse Phase uses the occurrence of a doubles to flag a critical or fumble (depending on whether the roll is a success or failure)?

COMBAT EFFECT CARDS!

Here comes the first great novelty of this campaign: effect cards for Advanced Combat. Like other recent D100 implementations, Revolution will feature combat effects that you can choose after you win an exchange in Advanced Combat. Most groups are comfortable with having a cheat sheet at the table with the effect list printed on it, so that players can choose their favorite manoeuver from the list. However, while discussing this kind of implementation of hand-to-hand combat with some fans and contributors at BRP Central, several long-time d100 gamers suggested that proposing a small subset of easy-to-use effects, chosen among those most suited to your character, would be a friendlier approach for players who have never faced a choose-after-you-roll combat system. A good way of building this short list is using a deck of cards with the name, applicability and explanation of the effect printed on it. It is also a nice way to entertain young players – and we know that many of you hardcore d100 gamers have children approaching the age when you can initiate them to the joy of roleplaying!

Thus, we have decided to add two new reward levels that will receive, in addition to Revolution or to the Revolution and Robyn Hode combo, a nice set of cards with the effects for close and ranged combat. Just because we want to make your kids happy!

As you should already know, owning the cards is by no means necessary to play the game. It is just a way to make your game more fun, and friendlier to new players.

Many thanks to Baulderstone, Deleriad and Smiorgan for suggesting this idea.

What? You want to know what effects will be available? This will be the subject of a future update.

Next update: all you ever wanted to know about Robyn Hode. Just do not tell the Sheriff what secrets Simon reveals.

• Like 2

So how do you deal with a situation where your Ninja uses Sleight (which he does not have a trait for) successfully in an adventure? Presumably she or he would then get an experience roll for Stealth. But still no trait for Sleight, because that was a one-off use of the skill, and the Ninja still doesn't really know how to use it at the level of Hide and Sneak? So how do you gain new Traits? Is it only through training? Can you practice a new Trait in the field and learn it that way?

TRAITS, STUNTS AND POWERS

Skills and Traits

Each skill provides “slots” that can host the Traits that the skill uses. The number of slots depends on the character’s current skill score, and on whether the skill is prominent for that character.

Sounds like as you gain experience in a skill, you can slowly add more Traits and Stunts to it. So when the Ninja's Stealth reaches 75% (or whatever), he could add Sleight as a Trait? And when it reaches 100%, add Disguise?

But looking at the character stats, that seems not to be the case.

So how do you deal with a situation where your Ninja uses Sleight (which he does not have a trait for) successfully in an adventure? Presumably she or he would then get an experience roll for Stealth. But still no trait for Sleight, because that was a one-off use of the skill, and the Ninja still doesn't really know how to use it at the level of Hide and Sneak? So how do you gain new Traits? Is it only through training? Can you practice a new Trait in the field and learn it that way?

I am a fan of the "old way" of increasing skills by using them, but the proposed default system for Revolution will probably be Improvement Rolls. This bypasses these problems, as you will gain either an increase in percentile in the skill or a new Trait by spending rolls.

Sounds like as you gain experience in a skill, you can slowly add more Traits and Stunts to it.

Exactly. Your skill level (not counting the +30% when you use Traits) determines the number of "slots" you can devote to traits and stunts.

I'm loving the new way to read dice from the update. 

I'm not sure it's easier to read whether the tens or the ones of a two-digit number are higher, or to divide a two-digit number by ten and round up. Dividing by ten seems easier and more intuitive to me, but maybe with practice the new way will become automatic. Something to look at in playtesting.

As Paolo notes, the new way makes it much more likely that high-skill characters will gain an advantage. There are things I like about this--it means high-powered combat is more cinematic and narrative, with lots of opportunities to call a special effect. But it also may mean that high-powered combat is over too quickly due to called shots and impales. Though I suspect Paolo has already figured this out and there is something to prevent someone with DEX 18 and 110% weapon skill from inflicting instant death on anything. Something else to look at in playtesting.

I just like this more and more. Small number of skills and lots of specializations, small number of mechanics and lots of color, small character sheets that say a lot in a few stats. Looks like a very simple game to learn but one with a lot of variety and adaptability. Realistic and fun. A worthy addition to the family. 

I am really liking most of these rules, and it'll be easy to add various mechanics to my current games. Revolution D100 is sounding like a collection of tool kit rules to add to our current BRP games, or can be played together for a very smooth version of the BRP system. Alot of thought has gone into these rules, and it is starting to look like a major innovation. I'm pretty happy I'm backing this!

Edited by Mankcam
  • Like 1

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

MERRIE ENGLAND: ROBYN HODE

Merrie England:Robyn Hode  is a new supplement in the Merrie England series, allowing you to play characters in the world of Medieval England, in the times of Kings Richard and John. Although this allows you to set up and play many different types of character, it includes professions specifically tailored to the outlaws and people of the forest.

Merrie England has had several incarnations: Merrie England: Age of Eleanor for Mongoose RuneQuest was a basic Medieval England supplement. Merrie England: Age of Chivalry for BRP included all of ME:AoE plus a lot more (Guilds, The Afterlife, Ranks of Demons, Fairy Village Campaign); Merrie England:Robyn Hode will include most of ME:AoE as a core, together with some of the extra stuff from ME:AoC, but with a different campaign with a Robyn Hode focus, new rules for different contests (Archery, Wrestling, Music in addition to the Jousting rules), a lot of scenario hooks and short writeups of people from the area surrounding Sherwood Forest. In future we plan on having a Merrie England Companion containing some parts originally published in ME:AoC but with a lot more detail and different campaigns. So, if you have ME:Age of Chivalry then between a third and a half will be replicated in Robyn Hode, simply because this is a new incarnation of the setting. However, between half and two-thirds will be new material. Even the old material will be repackaged and rewritten to take into account the RD100 ruleset. I would have liked to have a core Merrie England supplement, covering basic Medieval English life, with different supplements covering different areas, but it hasn't quite happened that way. Age of Chivalry was a number of planned supplements bundled together with the core supplement. Robyn Hode strips some of the bundled supplements away, allowing them to be used in future, but expands the Robyn Hode setting and campaign.

Whereas the original Merrie England covered the reigns of Henry II, Richard I and John I, Robyn Hode focuses on the realm of Richard I after he went on the Crusades and when Prince John tried to usurp him. It contains enough information to run a general Medieval England game, with backgrounds, professions and religions (Christianity, Judaism and Islam) but gives more support for an outlaw/forest campaign. So, professions include all the ones from earlier Merrie England supplements and also outlaws, foresters, verderers and more.

A number of backgrounds and professions are detailed, allowing you to play a character from anywhere in Merrie England, even one of the wild Welsh, Scots, Irish or the Norsemen of the Hebrides. More exotic backgrounds include the Jewish, Saracen, Moor and Fae. Many professions are included, so you can play a minstrel, troubadour, wayte (music-playing town guard), knight, alchemist, sorcerer or village idiot, amongst others. The professions from Revolution D100 are expanded to include the different flavours of Robyn Hode, so the bard/minstrel/troubadour profession is split into different professions for those three types, as the various types of entertainer are important in Merrie England.

Merrie England:Robyn Hode covers the basic religions of the age – Christianity, Judaism and Islam – in a sensitive way, with various sects, orders and heresies. Piety is important and can be used to cast blessings as well as to resist wanton seductresses. We also introduce Guardians, the remnants of ancient deities and powerful beings, who can be contacted for magic and support. Herne the Hunter will make an appearance, with a different name. Guilds and Societies may provide magic to those who understand their deeper secrets, this applies particularly to blacksmiths, alchemists, masons and Morris Dancers. Although magic does not play a major part in the Robyn Hode legends and stories, most have some magical leanings, especially for those of us brought up on Robin of Sherwood.

One of the important things about Merrie England:Robyn Hode are contests, so we have rules for Archery Contests, Jousts, Wrestling Contests and Song Contests. You can take your minstrel into a contest with other minstrels and troubadours to see who is the best in the county or even in the land. Archers can face off for honour and a large prize, perhaps even a silver arrow. Wrestlers can strip off and fight for smaller prizes, for honour and for the attention of the admiring onlookers. There are sketch rules for different types of duel, with swordfights and archery duels. There are few things more dangerous than standing facing an archer with a white mark over your heart, waiting for him to fire at you.

Courtly Love and the Droit de Seigneur make an appearance, showing how the romantic ideals of the Courts of Love differ from the grim reality for some of the Lords’ tenants. Minstrels and Troubadours wander the lands, singing of Courtly Love and spreading news, gossip and, perhaps, sacrilegious ideas.

The creatures of the Wildwood are described, as are various creatures from the mythology and legend of Merrie England. Here are the Fae, the Gnomes and Knockers who live in mines and annoy miners, pale women who lure young men into lakes and wells and the wild ogres who rip the limbs off unwary travellers who stray into the wildwood.

We cover the area around Sherwood Forest in some detail, with the important people of the area written up. Major characters are divided into Ye Goodies and Ye Baddies, reflecting the black and white nature of the Robyn Hode legends. Prince John, the Sheriff of Nottingham, Bishop of Hereford, various abbots, abbesses, priors, prioresses and unholy monks, nuns and friars and some lords of the manor are Ye Baddies, raising taxes while surrounded by riches. Robyn Hode, Maid Marian and the Merrie Men are Ye Goodies, accompanied by a supporting cast that includes King Richard, Queen Eleanor, Sir Richard at the Lee and many more. There are scenario hooks split between these characters as well as a section of general scenario hooks and a series of Arrow-Point scenarios (Bullet-point doesn’t suit Robyn Hode). The scenarios themselves will be written for Robyn Hode and his Merrie Men, simply because that is the tone of the supplement. Players may choose to play other outlaws, might be the Sheriff's guards or even someone else, in which case the GM must adapt the scenarios accordingly.

The overall theme of the supplement is to run the Ballads of Robyn Hode as scenarios. It takes inspiration from the old Ballads, other Folk Songs, Films and TV Series of Robyn Hode and Ivanhoe. Here, Blondel walks around Germany with his lute, singing a song written by King Richard, or maybe a PC does. Legends and stories play as important a part as historical facts. It is a place where a troubadour is as important a PC as a knight.

Merrie England:Robyn Hode suits the fast, fun Revolution D100 rules set, allowing you to play Robyn Hode and the Merry Men how you want – Serious and gritty, fun and fabulous, fast and free, whichever way you like.

• Like 1

Guest Vile Traveller

I have to admit, the reason I first jumped on the Kickstarter was Merrie England. Revolution D100 has grown on me in a big way during the last few weeks, but I just happened to be trying to get a copy of ME in any form when R-D100 happened, so you had me there. :P

CHARACTER SHEET

Today's update is something simple, but fundamental: the prototype of the Character Sheet.

Thanks a lot. That's a cool update.

Some feedback on the character sheet and suggestions. They concern both content and presentation.

- I like how hit locations are presented.

- I like that there is space for character portrait. I'd leave a bigger one.

- I generally quite like the short skill list. I'd make it even shorter: why separate Drive/Pilot skills, for instance? I guess drive is for things on wheels and pilot for flying things. And where do you put shiphandling? Maybe there could be just one Vehicle Handling skill.

- I'd put close combat and ranged combat visually together instead of having them in alphabetical order. For most role players "combat" is a thing.

- Visually, I don't like the point tallies on the margins.

-Again, visually, I'd prefer a slightly more "curvy" character sheet. Square/ boxy charsheet suggests a game where there is lots of math/ accounting. Which revolution is not. A few circles, rounded corners and serif fonts are sufficient to do curvy. It's not necessary to go crazy with organic/circular layouts. 

- I think the flexibility of the game would be better showcased by providing 2 sheets one geared towards more rules light campaigns (say, OpenQuest or original Magic World) and another for mega-detailed games (say RQ6 or Ringworld). Advanced Combat and Advanced Weapons need to go from the basic sheet.

Even without changes in the rules, the character sheet influences a lot how a game is perceived.

I remember starting to want to play D&D4 when I first saw this "curvy" and basic sheet:

berrian1.thumb.jpg.8132c232ac0dca27109f9

Instead of this one, which reminds me of taxes rather than fun:

22321540.thumb.png.02e7344d1fcfdb34150d7

That was in part a trick because the rules did not change. Yet the sheet did suggest me a different attitude about the way the game plays or the kind of campaigns you can do with it.

In Revolution rules do change and the different charsheets can effectively convey the feeling of different styles of play.

Edited by smiorgan

This is all good feedback, Andrea. Thank you. The sheet is a prototype and has not passed through the embellishment department (yet), so we will add curviness later.

- Visually, I don't like the point tallies on the margins.

That's because you have not guessed what they are for :)

- I think the flexibility of the game would be better showcased by providing 2 sheets one geared towards more rules light campaigns (say, OpenQuest or original Magic World) and another for mega-detailed games (say RQ6 or Ringworld). Advanced Combat and Advanced Weapons need to go from the basic sheet.

In Revolution rules do change and the different charsheets can effectively convey the feeling of different styles of play.

I am a bit uncertain about this. The strength of the ruleset is that you are not stuck with basic options when you start with them. Nor must you use all advanced rules as an all-or-nothing block. So it makes sense to have the advanced information on the character sheet, even when you might not want to use it initially. Advanced options should be clearly recognizable, instead, maybe in grey boxes instead of dark.

I am a bit uncertain about this. The strength of the ruleset is that you are not stuck with basic options when you start with them. Nor must you use all advanced rules as an all-or-nothing block. So it makes sense to have the advanced information on the character sheet, even when you might not want to use it initially. Advanced options should be clearly recognizable, instead, maybe in grey boxes instead of dark.

I see your point. It could be gradual and modular and the shades could do the work. Still, maybe... having a barebone sheet showcasing the bare minimum could be nice.

An unrelated question: does Revolution have opposed rolls (as in RQ6) or you only use differential rolls with characteristics as hit points? 

It seems to me that opposed rolls become kind of superfluous when you have social combat and escalating range of special successes.

An unrelated question: does Revolution have opposed rolls (as in RQ6) or you only use differential rolls with characteristics as hit points? 

It seems to me that opposed rolls become kind of superfluous when you have social combat and escalating range of special successes.

On the contrary, there are no differential rolls in Revolution, only opposed. Of course Advantage trumps Success in an opposed roll.

In Revolution, whenever you roll, something happens: a resolution point loss, a hit, a combat effect...

On the contrary, there are no differential rolls in Revolution, only opposed. Of course Advantage trumps Success in an opposed roll.

In Revolution, whenever you roll, something happens: a resolution point loss, a hit, a combat effect...

OK, so no stalemates. That makes the game run quicker.

Could you explain me the difference ?

Opposed roll: Compare levels of success of the rolls. If the level is different the highest level of success wins. If the level is the same, highest dice roll wins.

Differential roll: Compare levels of success of the rolls. Each level of difference grants an advantage to the winner (e.g. a combat effect).  If the level is the same the difference is 0 and nothing happens