I'm with BRP any edition

smiorgan

It is a real shame that Other Suns is dead-end-ed and won't come back (FGU and all that).  Used with or without the anthropomorphic animal races, it seemed like it was a good system for 1950s-1970s style Science Fiction.  It had some really nice parts in it (For instance, I liked how it had Height and Weight and from those one got the more abstract Size).  It would be interesting to see what Other Suns and Worlds Beyond could provide for the missing old-school (non Transhuman, etc.) BRP Science Fiction game.

Speaking of Worlds Beyond, should that other BRP Science Fiction game Worlds Beyond be on Smiorgan's nifty chart?  https://rpggeek.com/rpgitem/49044/worlds-beyond

Edited by Mysterioso
  • Like 1

Here is version 2 of the family tree. Thanks for your remarks!

As an FYI, there's a 30th Anniversary edition of Call of Cthulhu. Red-leatherette hardcover: http://www.amazon.com/Call-Cthulhu-Anniversary-Sandy-Petersen/dp/1568823541/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1445175715&sr=8-1&keywords=call+of+cthulhu+30th. In case you want to add that into the CoC timeline.

Well that is an long history, but if you only want to count systems that uses d100 for skills then is mutant Chronicles out, it uses an d20. The mutant system used d100 skill resolution up to and including the black box version 1989. From the black box came a supplement called mutant rymd. That supplement spawned what would later become mutant Chronicles.

Edited by muminalver
spelling

It is a real shame that Other Suns is dead-end-ed and won't come back (FGU and all that).  Used with or without the anthropomorphic animal races, it seemed like it was a good system for 1950s-1970s style Science Fiction.  It had some really nice parts in it (For instance, I liked how it had Height and Weight and from those one got the more abstract Size).  It would be interesting to see what Other Suns and Worlds Beyond could provide for the missing old-school (non Transhuman, etc.) BRP Science Fiction game.

Speaking of Worlds Beyond, should that other BRP Science Fiction game Worlds Beyond be on Smiorgan's nifty chart?  https://rpggeek.com/rpgitem/49044/worlds-beyond

By the way, I really want worlds beyond but I haven't been able to find it. Anyone want to sell their copy?

Check out our homebrew rules for freeform magic in BRP ->

No reason for Ars Magica players to have all the fun!

Well that is an long history, but if you only want to count systems that uses d100 for skills then is mutant Chronicles out, it uses an d20. The mutant system used d100 skill resolution up to and including the black box version 1989. From the black box came a supplement called mutant rymd. That supplement spawned what would later become mutant Chronicles.

Mutant/ Mutant Chronicles are BRP, only using a d20 instead of d100. If you're counting Pendragon, you'd have to count these as well. Mutant Chronicles is kinda infamous for being a ..not particularily good take on BRP, but is (was) still recognizable as such.

This is of course only true up until the latest editions, which are very far removed from BRP's mechanics. Although the swedes are getting a BRP-version of Mutant År Null. The basterds!

Edited by Baragei
letters in correct order...

Here is version 3. This is it. I'm exhausted and I've exhausted my nerdthusiasm for this monster...

To recap 

- Only complete games. So, no Corum, no Delta Green, no Luther Awkward. I've made an exception for Mythic Iceland, because it's to become a full game, and because I just love Mythic Iceland.

-Only d100, so d20 based BRP-ish games are out. No Pendragon, first of all. Mutant is in Mutant Chronicles is out.

- Original non-English games are in. I have French, Italian and Swedish entries here. I've added the Italian "John Doe" in v.3. I've surely missed some others.

- Modded, expanded, reworked non-English editions are in. Italian and French BASIC, French Hawkmoon, etc. Again I'm sure I've missed stuff.

- The future is in, kickstarted and announced BRP games have made their appearance in v.3!

Enjoy

!Diapositiva1.thumb.JPG.428d2564f7ce8b18c

• Like 14

Revolution is based on MRQ/Legend and OpenQuest, not the BGB. The philosophy is the same, the rules are different.

what's this egypt supplement?  English version?

The Italian BRP is still available from Stratelibri (now Giochi Uniti) I think. And it is nice, yes.

The Egypt supplement is by Andrea Angiolino, the author of Blue Max, so cool stuff. At one moment I had planned a remake in English after the initial success of Rome, but we did not go on with the idea.

Stratelibri published two very interesting articles in its magazine Excalibur, with stats for the protagonists of Gen13 (quite weird as their BRP did not have support for supers, only Magic) and X-Files. Yes, you read it right: official BRP stats for Fox Mulder and Dana Scully do exist!

Edited by RosenMcStern

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

If the egypt supplement is good and you translate it...I'll happily buy you a gift card for online store of your choice. Not for translation but because you're such a swell guy! I'm an egypt fanatic.Egypty supplement would go nicely with Rome IMO.

Edited by tooley1chris

Author QUASAR space opera system: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/459723/QUASAR?affiliate_id=810507

My Magic World projects page: Tooleys Underwhelming Projects

If the egypt supplement is good and you translate it...I'll happily buy you a gift card for online store of your choice. Not for translation but because you're such a swell guy! I'm an egypt fanatic.Egypty supplement would go nicely with Rome IMO.

And any Ancient Greek settings. Or Mesopotamian settings. In fact, Egypt is around for the pretty much the entire Ancient Era. In fact, I found my old GURPS Egypt book handy when running Masks of Nyarlathotep as well. Egypt casts a long shadow. 

There is also "Aquelarre" a spanish game set in a medieval mythical Spain, based of AH Runequest. A great game with some special rules like Rationality (faith and reason) and Irrationality (magic and paganism), a variable stat that changes by experiencing rational or irrational events and granting magic points or faith points for spells or miracles. It also has a nice alternative to the d20 hit location chart of Runequest, using only the units die of the attack roll.

First edition (1990) cover:

47625756_070845.jpg

Third (2011) and last edition cover:

Aquelarre_4e7f47c009d27.jpg

Edited by el_octogono
  • Like 2

Check my Lobo Blanco - Elric RPG (now in english!)

There is also "Aquelarre" a spanish game set in a medieval mythical Spain, based of AH Runequest. A great game with some special rules like Rationality (faith and reason) and Irrationality (magic and paganism), a variable stat that changes by experiencing rational or irrational events and granting magic points or faith points for spells or miracles. It also has a nice alternative to the d20 hit location chart of Runequest, using only the units die of the attack roll.

First edition (1990) cover:

47625756_070845.jpg

Third (2011) and last edition cover:

Aquelarre_4e7f47c009d27.jpg

That is such a crime that there is no english version of these titles!

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

Guest Vile Traveller

This game should really be based on Cthulhu Rising!

John! Put the web site back up! :D

Or, to put it another way:

Newt! Get the unimportant stuff out of the way and sort out OpenQuest Cthulhu Rising! ;)

Or, to put it another way:

Newt! Get the unimportant stuff out of the way and sort out OpenQuest Cthulhu Rising! ;)

Cthulhu Rising is great for hard sci fi. I bought it (and Jovian Nightmares) to use for a hard sci-fi no-FTL game in our future Solar System. (I was going to dump the Cthulhu stuff). I haven't run that game yet, but one day. The psionics rules were good too, reminiscent of Traveller. I did use those.

Speaking of complete BRP games by John Ossoway, what about River of Heaven? That would have a dotted line from OpenQuest I guess.

• Like 1

This is of course only true up until the latest editions, which are very far removed from BRP's mechanics. Although the swedes are getting a BRP-version of Mutant År Null. The basterds!

Do you have a link or any additional information on that?  I found a few people last summer who wanted to play Mutant: Year 0, but I was in a BRP/RQ6 mode, so I passed on it and, as far as I'm aware, that game never happened.  If there's a BRP version of MY0 coming out, though...

Do you have a link or any additional information on that?

How is your swedish?

In case it is not good, a quick translation: The revised edition of Mutant: År Noll will support dual systems out of the book - the *World-inspired dicepool system, and the BRP-system. This new edition was released at Gothcon this year (springtime). 

If you needed that translation, I have bad news for you; only the swedish version will come with the BRP-rules. Modiphius will not incorporate it into the english edition as of now. I also don't know of any translations. Of course you could try to bug Pete "RuneQuest" Nash who has at least one Mutant-campaign using RQ6 under his belt for his notes.

• Like 1

played in an RQ6 Mutant campaign, I didn't run it. :)  However, all we really did was create RQ6 characters from scratch with some more modern professional skills and used the Mutant source books as is. Anything which didn't translate smoothly, we created off the cuff. Oh, the RQ6 firearms rules were pretty heavily tapped too.