I'm with BRP any edition

smiorgan

I get asked that surprisingly often.  :D  (Well, surprising unless you know that I live in Lund.)  I can read Swedish well enough, albeit with difficulty.  Completely useless with spoken Swedish, though, since everyone around here is so quick to switch to English as soon as they realize I'm not fluent.

played in an RQ6 Mutant campaign, I didn't run it. :)  However, all we really did was create RQ6 characters from scratch with some more modern professional skills and used the Mutant source books as is. Anything which didn't translate smoothly, we created off the cuff. Oh, the RQ6 firearms rules were pretty heavily tapped too.

That's basically the approach I thought about suggesting last summer to the group I mentioned in my earlier comment.  If it's good enough for Pete, then it's good enough for me!

• 1 year later...
On 10/18/2015 at 4:46 PM, smiorgan said:

Here is version 3. This is it. I'm exhausted and I've exhausted my nerdthusiasm for this monster...

To recap 

- Only complete games. So, no Corum, no Delta Green, no Luther Awkward. I've made an exception for Mythic Iceland, because it's to become a full game, and because I just love Mythic Iceland.

-Only d100, so d20 based BRP-ish games are out. No Pendragon, first of all. Mutant is in Mutant Chronicles is out.

- Original non-English games are in. I have French, Italian and Swedish entries here. I've added the Italian "John Doe" in v.3. I've surely missed some others.

- Modded, expanded, reworked non-English editions are in. Italian and French BASIC, French Hawkmoon, etc. Again I'm sure I've missed stuff.

- The future is in, kickstarted and announced BRP games have made their appearance in v.3!

Enjoy

!Diapositiva1.JPG

smiorgan, In this you mention an upcoming "Dark Detective" game.  I haven't been able to find any information about this.  Where did you hear about it and what can you tell us about it?

Thanks!

• Like 1

"Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned." Anonymous

12 hours ago, DreadDomain said:

Dark Detective?

By the way, very cool family tree!

Yes, up at the top of the tree is reads "Dark Detective. (Chaosium 2017?)" as an upcoming release.

"Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned." Anonymous

3 hours ago, DreadDomain said:

I have never heard of that one. Someone knows something about it?

On RPG.net, reviewer "Antonio S." reported from Essen...

"Another line, detective oriented this time, is in the works. Its working title is Dark Detective, but apart from that I didn't manage to pry more information from Chaosium. I guess they would have had to kill me afterwards..."

So I'm guessing the author/editor/playtesters are where the info is, but under NDA until it gets closer...

C'es ne pas un .sig

Sounds like a product for Pulp Cthulhu with a particular empasis on Noir flavour. Pure speculation is a great thing heh heh

Edited by Mankcam

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

1 hour ago, cjbowser said:

You don't know the half of it.?

Technically... I don't know ANY of it (except that it's a BRP detective game from Chaosium with the working title "Dark Detective").

I'm guessing (from the title) that it's a detective/noir style, but... whether historica/modern/future, CoC or other horror, minor or major fantasy elements, and/or sci-fi ones ... Yeah, all that is unknown.

C'es ne pas un .sig

• 3 months later...
On ‎18‎.‎10‎.‎2015 at 11:46 PM, smiorgan said:

Here is version 3. This is it. I'm exhausted and I've exhausted my nerdthusiasm for this monster...

To recap 

- Only complete games. So, no Corum, no Delta Green, no Luther Awkward. I've made an exception for Mythic Iceland, because it's to become a full game, and because I just love Mythic Iceland.

-Only d100, so d20 based BRP-ish games are out. No Pendragon, first of all. Mutant is in Mutant Chronicles is out.

- Original non-English games are in. I have French, Italian and Swedish entries here. I've added the Italian "John Doe" in v.3. I've surely missed some others.

- Modded, expanded, reworked non-English editions are in. Italian and French BASIC, French Hawkmoon, etc. Again I'm sure I've missed stuff.

- The future is in, kickstarted and announced BRP games have made their appearance in v.3!

Enjoy!

Hi smiorgan,

you might consider to add M+D Editores' "Far West" roleplaying game (https://rpggeek.com/rpg/18127/far-west) to your BRP family tree. It unfortunately was only published in Spanish. :( 

FW uses a partially abridged, partially improved version of the 1980's Basic Role-Playing rules. I got this merely for the beautiful Luis Royo cover, the gods know I'll never, ever, again buy a Spanish-only RPG. :D (Fortunately, Google Translate is far more accurate on Spanish-English than it is on English-German... or Spanish-German). :)

Short description:

uses only the STR, DEX (3D6) and CON (3D6 + 3) characteristics, so the Damage Modifier is based on STR alone.

The skill list looks very similar to that of the early Call of Cthulhu editions, but the base percentages are reminding more on RuneQuest 2, very low, at 10% for the most. Occupations/Professions include Peddler, Gold Seeker, Bounty Hunter, Saloon Girl, Settler, Explorer, Outlaw, Pony Express Rider, Gunman, Preacher, Rebel (Confederate Soldier), Sheriff, Soldier, Gambler, Trapper, Cowboy and Native American ("Indian") (for the latter you can additionally choose between Warrior, Explorer, Shaman and Scout; and includes the affiliation to a distinct tribe, from Seminole over Apache to Cheyenne).

Each Occupation/Profession has distinct starting skills and percentages, additional skill points are the sum of (STR+DEX+CON) x 2, and each Player Character gets additional 1d4 skills at +20% (which can't be chosen from the occupational skill list or weapon skills).

FW includes the well-known Experience Roll rules, with the exception that you'll get +3% fix (+1 for skills of >90%), rather than the result of a dice roll. Also the typical "roll under your skill percentage to succeed" and the "Impale". It also looks like to include a shamanistic Magic System (but I'm just at the beginning to struggle with Google Translate). :)

"Strike Rank" is the pure DEX characteristic, minus a distinct modifier depending on the weapon used. A combat round is 20 seconds, the one with the highest (modfied) DEX acts first.

In contrary to the common BRP Systems I know, FW includes nice rules for Duelling: to reflect drawing a gun from a holster, you have to choose (in secret) from a Speed Scale from 1 to 6; 1 being the slowest, and 6 the fastest. Each Speed Level includes a modifier for DEX and an Attack Skill modifier. Choosing Speed 1 f.e. reduces DEX by 15, but does not affect the Attack Skill with the weapon at all, Speed 6 does not modify DEX, but the Attack Skill gets a malus of -50%. So you got to choose from pulling your gun like mad and probably miss, or draw slower to get a lower malus on your attack, but end up dead for the guy in front of you acted first and hit. Neat.

All in all, the Far West looks like a nice "Wild West" RPG (without any weird Monsters or... Zombies!), with some well-thought rule-alterations to the good ol' BRP rules system.

Being OOP for a long time now, it got a new Publisher, and a redefined version would be published in February this year (http://www.farwest-jdr.com/). From what I understood, "Wild Bunch" also plans to aim for the international market, so there could be a chance that the re-incarnation might include at least an English Edition this time.

Edited by Arnold-C

17 hours ago, Arnold-C said:

Hi smiorgan,

you might consider to add M+D Editores' "Far West" roleplaying game

Actually, the big BRP family tree is a dead project. I've lost the original file in a hard drive crash. And I discovered too many other old and new variants in the meantime!

Cheers,

Smiorgan

A real shame.  Yours is, IMHO, the best approach to this ambitious project that I've seen.  Several other folks take other stabs at it... I suppose those may have info yours doesn't (I haven't cross-compared) but I still like yours best!

C'es ne pas un .sig