How do we make this website work better for Chaosium

Rick Meints

RSS feeds please. It's very hard to follow what's going on. I had to ask Rick about if we could have RSS and he directed me to this post (I missed it). It was very easy to follow activity, topics and posts over at glorantha.com.com with rss.

• Like 1

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

Great - can you get RSS on the activity feed:

http://basicroleplaying.org/activity/

That's the equivalent one that we had on glorantha.com - lets you watch everything

Edited by sciencefish

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

I think its logical all these games are in one place, due to their shared heritage or setting.

However the title 'BRP Central' no longer fits this concept.

So re-branding the site's name is probably the best way to go, so what about calling it 'Worlds Of Wonder' perhaps?

The old crew will get the Chaosium reference, and as the title suggests, it can cover a wide range of concepts, genres, settings, as well as systems and mechanics.

Just an idea to float 

Edited by Mankcam
  • Like 2

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

1 hour ago, Mankcam said:

Just an idea to float 

This site is a magical place and has a world of experience and knowledge. How about: Magic World. ;-)

Or on a more serious note, maybe: Chaos Central  (As a reference to Chaosium now, a homage to the origins from Chaosium, and representing all the new and different systems and companies that formed and spread out when the Spike exploded, and now co-exist in harmony - Not Lunar 'harmony', but Arachne Solara harmony, the Cosmic Compromise).

Edited by dragonewt
  • Like 4

Yeah, 'Chaos Central' could work equally as well - perhaps more so in the fact that its also a nod to the title 'BRP Central'

I would be happy with that. Good call

• Like 1

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

On 2.11.2015, 19.31.47, sciencefish said:

Great - can you get RSS on the activity feed:

http://basicroleplaying.org/activity/

That's the equivalent one that we had on glorantha.com - lets you watch everything

RSS possible on the new activity stream. You can also now make your custom stream with only the content you're interested in (following).

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

1 hour ago, tooley1chris said:

It would be nice if there was a button that automatically loads your custom stream instead of having to go through the drop down menues to find it.

It would. Unfortunately since members can make more than one thread there will be many different urls to it, so I can't make a custom link for it. You can bookmark it and just the "back" button after reading a thread.

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

I sort of rankled at first at the suggestion that the name should be changed to accommodate the new guests... but I like both Worlds of Wonder and Chaos Central as being a decent compromise... and perhaps a bit more attractive to outsiders in general.

• Like 1

Guest Vile Traveller
2 hours ago, Simlasa said:

... and perhaps a bit more attractive to outsiders in general.

I would suggest Worlds of Wonder for the specific purpose of attracting outsiders with the promise of a positive-sounding forum experience. Chaos Central could be quite scary to the uninitiated. And, now that I think on it, a bit of an oxymoron, too - how can Chaos have a centre? ;)

'Chaos Central' is likely to confuse some Warhammer fans.

Also, I could see how the name might be off-putting... and we wouldn't want a self-fulfilling prophecy where the forums themselves become chaotic (pure superstition but I've seen such things happen with various endeavors where the name became a curse).

2 hours ago, Vile said:

I would suggest Worlds of Wonder for the specific purpose of attracting outsiders with the promise of a positive-sounding forum experience. Chaos Central could be quite scary to the uninitiated. And, now that I think on it, a bit of an oxymoron, too - how can Chaos have a centre? ;)

Haven't you ever seen the Chaos Symbol? It's the junction of all the outward facing arrows. ;)

I think I brought this up somewhere else, Worlds of Wonder is terrible to Google. It was the toy company that made Teddy Ruxpin and Lazer Tag, it's the name of an amusement park, a company in India and a toy store. I've gone back for multiple pages, and nothing about Chaosium's use of the name comes up. Your setting yourself up for a SEO battle. 

If I put BRP Central into Google, this place comes right up. If the name is going to be changed, it should be to something equally unique. 

• Like 2

Guest Vile Traveller

That's why I never liked that Chaos symbol, or any symbol. Symbols spell conformity, crush conformity under your heel/ hook/ pseudopod! ;)

Given the traffic here now I'm sure the forum would climb to the top of any search lists in short order, and I can't think of a more appropriate name and descriptor than Worlds of Wonder at this time (but I am open to other suggestions).

Why not just stick with BRP Central? My understanding is that this isn't Chaosium's forum. Trif offered space on this forum for Chaosium to use. He's built a strong and vibrant community here which is about more than just Chaosium. Conversely, if the forum looks like it belongs to Chaosium then visitors may end up wondering if the various publishers here (Newt, Cakebread and Walton etc) are publishing Chaosium products.

Chaosium are rightly protective of their IP and anything which makes it looks like this is the "official Chaosium forum" runs the risk of confusing matters.

That's my 2p worth.

• Like 7

I like the name BRP Central - descriptive, nice-sounding, and established. Even if it is branching out, it is still mainly about BRP and its relatives.

Consider that the previous HQ-forum was named Glorantha.com and places like RPG.net and theRPGsite.com still retain their names, even if RPGs are discussed primarily by accident.

• Like 2

We

8 hours ago, deleriad said:

Why not just stick with BRP Central?

As a matter of fact, BRP has always been labelled as "the Chaosium system". And if you look at the top band of game covers, there is just one which is sytemless and one that is HQ-based. The rest of them are BRP derivatives, in one way or another. BRP Central still sounds like an appropriate name for this site.

• Like 3

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

59 minutes ago, RosenMcStern said:

We

As a matter of fact, BRP has always been labelled as "the Chaosium system". And if you look at the top band of game covers, there is just one which is sytemless and one that is HQ-based. The rest of them are BRP derivatives, in one way or another. BRP Central still sounds like an appropriate name for this site.

"The Chaosium System" is the only thing I ever heard it called between my first exposure in 1985 until I heard about the BGB.