Alternate editor mode?

nDervish

I am not a fan of WYSIWIG editors on webpages.  And this one is particularly bad when it comes to dealing with quoted text.  (Reordering, splitting, un-nesting, etc. all seem to be impossible as far as I can tell.)

Is there any way to switch to a non-WYSIWIG editor?  BBCode, Markdown, (filtered) HTML, RTF, I don't care what, just so long as I can control exactly how things are formatted instead of being limited to the ways that the editor thinks it "should" be done.

For bonus points, a pointer to an alternate, completely non-javascript site interface would be nice, but I'm pretty sure that's asking for way too much.

(I'm completely aware that my preferences are a minority view these days, so I am absolutely not requesting or suggesting that the default interface should be changed in any way.  I'm just hoping that there might be options available which would allow me to tweak the interface so that it doesn't get in my way as frequently.)

• Like 1

I am not a fan of WYSIWIG editors on webpages.  And this one is particularly bad when it comes to dealing with quoted text.  (Reordering, splitting, un-nesting, etc. all seem to be impossible as far as I can tell.)

Is there any way to switch to a non-WYSIWIG editor?  BBCode, Markdown, (filtered) HTML, RTF, I don't care what, just so long as I can control exactly how things are formatted instead of being limited to the ways that the editor thinks it "should" be done.

I'm totallly in the same camp and I'm fairlly certain there used to be a button on the toolbar to switch to somekind of markup editing mode but it must have disappeared in one of the many updates to this site. Hopefully there is a chance of getting it re-enabled.

The current turmoil in D100 publishing is probably not helping, but I know since the introduction of this software version I am increasingly loathe to post here simply because the editor is so annoying. It's pretty awful via a browser from a desktop or laptop - from my my iPad it's ludicrously unfriendly and irritating.

Nick

It is definitely glitchy on my Galaxy and gets annoying as it tries to guess what you want to do instead of doing what you tell it to.

Prefer the old style editor.

Author QUASAR space opera system: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/459723/QUASAR?affiliate_id=810507

My Magic World projects page: Tooleys Underwhelming Projects

You can click the "Source" button to the left of the tool bar when posting which means you'll only get the formatting you write in yourself, but other than that the options are limited. Staying with the old vBulletin software was really no viable option as it got slower, spammed down and hacked more than once. 

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

You can click the "Source" button to the left of the tool bar when posting which means you'll only get the formatting you write in yourself, but other than that the options are limited. Staying with the old vBulletin software was really no viable option as it got slower, spammed down and hacked more than once. 

Triff, I don't see a "Source" button. There is an option in the toolbar for Add Code.

Is there a way to break up long quotes? When I hover over the top or bottom of a quote I see a red dotted line that has a carriage return button on it, and it loos like I should be able to drag up and/or down to adjust the quote size, but I can't drag at all.

Running the latest version of Safari on a MBP.

SDLeary

Edited by SDLeary
Misread post

Triff, I don't see a "Source" button. There is an option in the toolbar for Add Code.

My bad, only I see the "Source" button, probably because it allows writing raw html-code which would pose a security risk. 

Is there a way to break up long quotes?

Yes! Click the "quote" button and cut-paste from the original quote (or copy-paste from the post itself) 

My bad, only I see the "Source" button, probably because it allows writing raw html-code which would pose a security risk. 

Yes! Click the "quote" button and cut-paste from the original quote (or copy-paste from the post itself) 

Gotcha. I can see why this could be cumbersome on a tablet or phone. 

Talk with those software jocks and see if they can't add things back in with the next version! ;)

SDLeary

Weird. I find the interface clean, easy to use and simple. YMMV obviously.

The board could really use a multi-quote function, that would help with multiple quotes thing.

Then I see the big PLUS sign next to quote...  Ta Da! Multi-quotes!!

One quick suggestion on breaking up quotes;

1. Copypasta the original.
  2. Remove ALL text between open/close quote tags.
  3. Make copies of the empty quotes.
  4. Cut and trim text into quote blocks as needed.
Edited by trechriron
Missed plus sign, added suggestion.

Trentin C Bergeron

Bard, Creative, & RPG Enthusiast

One quick suggestion on breaking up quotes;

1. Copypasta the original.
  2. Remove ALL text between open/close quote tags.
  3. Make copies of the empty quotes.
  4. Cut and trim text into quote blocks as needed.

Thats just it, I see no open/close quote tags, or any tags at all.

SDLeary

And this one is particularly bad when it comes to dealing with quoted text. 

I'm totallly in the same camp

The editor is so annoying. It's pretty awful via a browser from a desktop or laptop - from my my iPad it's ludicrously unfriendly and irritating.

Works best if you start typing your reply first, add some extra hard returns, click where you want the quote, paste in quotes with the Quote link, then delete anything from the quote you don't want. I found this post pretty easy to make that way. It does get glitchy if you try to paste in quotes without any space and then type around them. 

Then I see the big PLUS sign next to quote...  Ta Da! Multi-quotes!!

That was actually what put me over the edge to create this thread...  I tried using the plus buttons to multi-quote and it gave me all of the quotes nested into each other (i.e., the last quote was shown as a reply to the previous quote, which was shown as a reply to the one before that, etc., even though none of the actual posts referenced each other) and disentangling them into a series of unrelated quotes instead of a chain of (apparent) replies seemed impossible.

So you're basically saying that those of us who dislike the WYSIWIG editor are SOL?

So you're basically saying that those of us who dislike the WYSIWIG editor are SOL?

Maybe not. I found to more tools to add to the wysiwyg toolbar. Tx removes formatting and you can set your preferences for pasting text without formatting. That together with the quotes tool on the toolbar should give you some more control. It's a hack, but could work.