Prince of Sartar. Comic

Noita

Sandy's theory that the extant 'newts are the slackers:

1 hour ago, Yelm's Light said:

I don't buy a couple of things that that implies:  first, that there aren't or have never been any new births in the Dragon's Eye, and second, that every Dragonewt who falls short of spiritual balance is a coward, cheat, or thief.

It isn't clear whether dragonewts are sexual at all. The Wondrous Mother of Many evidently was a female, and it may have been her immature persecution of sex that caused the neoteny in the dragonewts.

If there is a parallel between the dragonewt life cycle and the life cycle of the newtlings, the dragonewts would be a yet asexual intermediate stage. On the other hand, there have been speculations that dragonewt procreation might be possible if one specimen of each stage participates. Given the rarity of Inhuman Kings (one in Dragon Pass, one in Ryzel, and I really don't see Godunya getting it on with the numerous newts on the Kralorelan islands), that would be a very rare event, too.

True Dragon eggs are rare. The hatching of the Twin Phoenix eggs in the East is one of the momentous development in the Hero Wars, the major struggle between the high gods of Vithela and the Antigods, and it will be human and/or keet sages at the forefront against the antigods.

1 hour ago, Yelm's Light said:

Eh, the first is possible, I guess...it's been a while since there were any true dragons around (roughly 500 years), so far as outsiders know, aside from a couple of devourings.

The formation of dragonewt eggs might be something like a Curse of Kin of dragonkind. You need an immature True Dragon to lay such eggs. Would a recently transformed dragonewt be considered sexually immature, or does it need a True Dragon hatched directly from an intact dragon egg?

I have since discussed the dragonewts with Sandy, and semi-sold him on my idea that the dragonewts are the equivalent of dream dragons of the unborn dragon inside the egg, undergoing the experiences not inherited from the immature parent. But then Sandy also mentioned another theory that whatever antics the dragonewt bodies perform might not affect their spiritual progression at all.

The Kralori 'newts are way more numerous than any other population. Still, they claim that their survival was in strength and that of the Kerofinelan colony was in weakness. It is possible that they can be reborn to a new stage only when a dragon emperor performs utuma. On the other hand, we find plenty of dinosaurs in central Genertela, but find none mentioned for Kralorela or Fanzai. The dragonewt-descended dinos are a proof of weakness, even if they finally achieve some modicum of redemption as pteranodons.

The EWF did establish new colonies - most notably that in Ormsland, Ralios. The Ryzel colony appears to have been created at the request of Palangio.

Teleos is the only (extant) non-Genertelan dragonewt population. They appear to be able to be born (or formed) again from their eggs, but not at the same speed as those colonies that have a dragonet or true dragon to aid this dream to take on flesh.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

10 hours ago, Yelm's Light said:

I don't buy a couple of things that that implies:  first, that there aren't or have never been any new births in the Dragon's Eye, and second, that every Dragonewt who falls short of spiritual balance is a coward, cheat, or thief.

I mean, sure, there have been new "births", but these would be reincarnations of existing individuals. New eggs, and therefore new individuals would presumably require the mating of True Dragons, something which would likely not go unnoticed.

And perhaps I should have said "those full of sin" or some such. Of course there are more flaws among the dragonewts than cowardice, thievery, and cheating; I was just trying to get the general point across.

Edited by kaydet

2 hours ago, kaydet said:

I mean, sure, there have been new "births", but these would be reincarnations of existing individuals. New eggs, and therefore new individuals would presumably require the mating of True Dragons, something which would likely not go unnoticed.

I meant absolutely new births, not rebirths.  First-time, crested dragonewts.  And who knows what goes on inside the protected environs of the Dragon's Eye?

Edited by Yelm's Light

On 9/10/2017 at 9:30 PM, Runeblogger said:

So why were the dragonewts interested in raiding the Cradle. And more importantly: why is their blood purple? 😆

My interpretation goes something like this: Nysalor cursed the Dragonewts, but a True Dragon woke up and swallowed the curse, however the dragonewts were Nysalor's mercenaries for most of the Gbaji Wars. In the Second Age, the Golden Dragon became Emperor of Dara Happa. In the Third Age, the Red Emperor became Dara Happan Emperor and has a relationship with dragonewts both through being Emperor of Dara Happa and a manifestation of Nysalor.

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

There is also an association of violet eyes with lefthandedness, which also featured in a story by Greg about either Obduran or Orlaront, or possibly both. I couldn't find the reference, though.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Nope, we just had a lull at the end of the year there. However, the comic has now moved to a monthly schedule, instead of a weekly one (we posted this on Patreon, however I was going to announce it when I posted the first page for the month). This means that in two weeks, there are going to be four pages uploaded, one a day. Then in February we're going to do the same and so on.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...