Upcoming Glorantha publications (Old thread 2015-2022)

Steve

looking at the release order, I noticed that the GM Sourcebook and the starter set seem to be the next expected releases now? I thought the cults book and possibly the sartar homeland book were probably expected next (especially because of all the art Jeff has shared on facebook for the cult book of late?

Don't get me wrong, I'd actually be very happy to get the GM book sooner rather than later, but still, is the list just not up to date?

18 minutes ago, Blindhamster said:

Speaking as someone who has a whopping 10 sessions of RuneQuest under their belt as a new GM to the system, I absolutely love it.

Ah, you're an old hand, then.

19 minutes ago, Blindhamster said:

I'm both excited and dreading my first hero quest because they're such an integral part of the setting (really hope for the game master book sooner rather than later to expand on those things, and yes, I have Six Seasons of Sartar and the Secrets of HeroQuestiong Jonestown books)

HeroQuesting is great fun for a GM, as you can mess with the Players' heads.

Obviously, there is more to it than that, but for me that is the best bit.

In my experience, the longer you delay running a HeroQuest, the harder it will be to run a HeroQuest. Dive in and run one. Don't take it too seriously, you don't need books of lore to run a HeroQuest (except for Secrets of HeroQuesting, obviously, which you already have), all you need is a myth, a place to hang it and some willing, or unwilling, Adventurers.

• Like 3

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

9 minutes ago, soltakss said:

In my experience, the longer you delay running a HeroQuest, the harder it will be to run a HeroQuest. Dive in and run one. Don't take it too seriously, you don't need books of lore to run a HeroQuest (except for Secrets of HeroQuesting, obviously, which you already have), all you need is a myth, a place to hang it and some willing, or unwilling, Adventurers.

Thanks - that's been part of it, my understanding is the myth the hero quest is based on needs to be appropriate to the current situations, also whilst I know Hero Questing can be at any time, I thought it would be good to run one during sacred time, I've been slowly introducing more elements of the setting as the characters have proceeded.

11 minutes ago, soltakss said:

Ah, you're an old hand, then.

Haha, no, just treading the gloranthan water so far, enjoying the setting and the rules a lot though (I actually am one of the people that worked on an Elderscrolls game that took a lot of inspiration mechanically from Mythras, UESRPG), the feel is quite nice as our group tends to be prone to doing huge sweeping epic adventures that are non stop with end of the world level dramas to deal with, so the tribal setting with the emphasis on clan life, worship, politics between clans and tribes is refreshing. Last night I had the PCs go to clearwine for the one singled out to be Thane to meet the Queen and hopefully be accepted. I had them meet Asborn who spoke with them as he slowly walked them to the citadel, along the way they realised he was asking a lot of very leading questions and was essentially testing the possible Thane, questions of religion, world views, plans, companions. Really got them on edge when they realised it wasn't a sure thing and this guy was a wind lord (one of the PCs passed a reputation roll!) then when they thought it was over, he led them into the huge throne room to meet Queen Leika and it stepped up a notch. Afterward they were all saying they cant remember having such tense but enjoyable social roleplay. It feels like a very rewarding setting for such things!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blindhamster said:

I noticed that the GM Sourcebook and the starter set seem to be the next expected releases now?

I believe Jason noted somewhere that those are the next expected releases.

I thought the cults book and possibly the sartar homeland book were probably expected next (especially because of all the art Jeff has shared on facebook for the cult book of late?

While Jeff has been sharing art on Facebook for the cults, that is clearly indicative of art-in-progress.  And that has to be completed before layout is done.  I suspect they'd like to have it out by/before GenCon though.

As for the Sartar homeland book, while we've seen snippets of content, we don't know the status of art.

but still, is the list just not up to date?

As there may be various factors regarding anything in-progress, I think Chaosium has noted that they will announce items when they are ready to do so, but they don't spell out a list of the next X items in advance.

17 hours ago, Blindhamster said:

... is the list just not up to date?

The list is entirely, 100%, unadulterated unofficial content.

Chaosium (so far as I know) does not organize, maintain, edit, or correct the list; nor nudge, hint, or backchannel-inform the creator.

It is, in short, a fannish production, a good-faith effort, for love of the product(s) and the fandom, to collect anything Chaosium *does* state, into one convenient location; so we don't have to attend *EVERY* convention, read *every* social-media site, etc etc etc (n.b. neither does @Stevedo so; he relies mostly, I think, on other peoples' reportage).

TL;DR -- it is what it is.

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

9 minutes ago, g33k said:

The list is entirely, 100%, unadulterated unofficial content.

Chaosium (so far as I know) does not organize, maintain, edit, or correct the list; nor nudge, hint, or backchannel-inform the creator.

It is, in short, a fannish production, a good-faith effort, for love of the product(s) and the fandom, to collect anything Chaosium *does* state, into one convenient location; so we don't have to attend *EVERY* convention, read *every* social-media site, etc etc etc (n.b. neither does @Stevedo so; he relies mostly, I think, on other peoples' reportage).

TL;DR -- it is what it is.

it's still useful to have a rough idea what is coming :)

3 minutes ago, Blindhamster said:

it's still useful to have a rough idea what is coming :)

I repeat:  it is what it is.

Which is to say:  being entirely unofficial, it cannot be "out of date," as no "dates" are official (until Chaosium announces them).

===

That said... it might be a nifty addition/alteration to the OP, and editing policies.

What do you say to this notion, @Steve -- going forward, not trying to retroactively fill in for all items -- what do you think of putting a datestamp on any new / changed items?  We can always tell last-edit, of course, because the forum marks it; but we can't tell how old any given piece of info is...

C'es ne pas un .sig

We at the Chaosium usually announce a book's definitive premier in the product lineup when layout of the final manuscript has begun. We have numerous books in the writing or editing stage, but we don't like to say "when" they will be done. We used to estimate "when" and ultimately ended up disappointing people when inevitable delays happened. We also spent a lot of effort providing "no update" on the status of these future publications, which then led to lots of "why" questions.

Please use the following table to understand why Chaosium isn't telling you when a future book will be ready:

1D10  Result
01    Author is late on finishing the manuscript
02    Editor is late on editing the manuscript
03    Artist(s) are late on delivering art
04    Art direction is taking longer than expected
05    Manuscript requires extensive rewrites
06    Art requires extensive revision or was rejected
07    Author gives up and a new author must be found
08    Artist disappears and art must be reassigned
09    Roll twice on table and combine delays sequentially
10    Roll thrice on table and combine delays sequentially

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 17
  • Sad 1

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

3 hours ago, Rick Meints said:

Please use the following table to understand why Chaosium isn't telling you when a future book will be ready:

1D10  Result
01    Author is late on finishing the manuscript

I can accurately state that I've rolled a 01 on my current WIP! 😜

On 10/20/2020 at 5:12 PM, g33k said:

What do you say to this notion, @Steve -- going forward, not trying to retroactively fill in for all items -- what do you think of putting a datestamp on any new / changed items?

Good idea. I've just done a major update, and I've put in a date for the changed section. I'm finding it pretty hard to keep on top of this list (e.g. the many sources from which reliable updates can come), so I'd welcome input about things that should be changed.

On 10/23/2015 at 9:01 PM, Steve said:

RuneQuest: Roleplaying in Glorantha (RQG) (updated 25/10/20)

Upcoming releases in likely (but not guaranteed) order

GM Book

Other RQ releases coming later on:

The RQ Campaign - along the lines of the Boy King campaign for Pendragon
Heroquesting

This update, which comes from @Jeff on Facebook, got me wondering about the GM Book and realised I didn't actually quite know what it will be all about. Do we know what it will cover. I think in the part heroquesting was mentionned but it seems there is now a separate book. Will it then be focused on rules? Mass Combat, more personal combat, naval combat, social interaction, various skills, other cultures?

On 10/23/2015 at 9:01 PM, Steve said:

Trollpak 2 

Trollpak 2? Are we going to see Trollpak 1 first :)

@Jeff also add "Plus we plan to rerelease two very important classics in glorious updated form." 

I am curious what this might be since I believe all the classic stuff from RQ2 has been made available. The only things I could think of were RQ3 itself (but I am pretty sure Chaosium has no interest in republishing RQ3) and... White Bear and Red Moon!! Maybe?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DreadDomain said:

got me wondering about the GM Book and realised I didn't actually quite know what it will be all about. Do we know what it will cover.

I don't know that it has been explicitly detailed.  IIRC variants for character creation were mentioned at one point.   Might have expanded rules for things like nets and tridents which were not covered in the core book.  Battle rules were mentioned as well.  I think originally was going to include heroquesting, but think that has grown into its own book. 

14 hours ago, DreadDomain said:

Trollpak 2? Are we going to see Trollpak 1 first

Trollpak 1 presumably is the RQ Classic book.  Trollpak 2 would then be revised for RQG.

14 hours ago, DreadDomain said:

"Plus we plan to rerelease two very important classics in glorious updated form." 

My guess would be two of the RQ3 books.  Sun County and perhaps Shadows on the Borderlands. However, Dorastor could be another candidate.

On 10/26/2020 at 11:06 AM, jajagappa said:

...  I think originally was going to include heroquesting, but think that has grown into its own book...

Arrrgh.
Is there a linky available for this specific bit of info?

That's one of the "advanced topics" that I *really* wanted to see.  Looks like, if it's being spun off, it is even further-deferred from the GM's-Book release date???

Was sort of expecting to skip Simon's HQ'ing book... looks like it just became a "must buy," instead.

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

3 hours ago, g33k said:

Was sort of expecting to skip Simon's HQ'ing book... looks like it just became a "must buy," instead.

Jam today or Jam tomorrow?

I recommend Jam today.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

6 hours ago, g33k said:

Arrrgh.

The Facebook post of 10/25 that's referenced in the first post in this thread.  It listed:

Upcoming releases in likely (but not guaranteed) order:

...GM Book

Other RQ releases coming later on:

The RQ Campaign - along the lines of the Boy King campaign for Pendragon
Heroquesting

7 hours ago, g33k said:

Arrrgh.

Indeed, as @jajagappa said, I took this from Jeff's recent post on Facebook. That's the first time I've seen the heroquesting rules split out from the GM book - previously it had been talked about as being included.

I'll choose to take this as a good thing. E.g. the heroquesting rules and accompanying material are now so big that they deserve their own book to do them justice.

And then buy @soltakss's book to make the waiting more bearable.

• Like 2

Arrrgggghhh I have an inspiration tool for minor heroquests in waiting orbits for over two years now, as the “new” heroquest rules will be published “really soon now” and I eventually wanted to align it with them (if I liked them).

Frakk, that, I should treat them as the vaporware they have been for 35+ years and do my own thing.

Damn the torpedos, full speed ahead.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Hteph said:

Arrrgggghhh I have an inspiration tool for minor heroquests in waiting orbits for over two years now, as the “new” heroquest rules will be published “really soon now” and I eventually wanted to align it with them (if I liked them).

That sounds like a really good tool.

Is it an online resource or does it have tables that could be published in the Jonstown Compendium?

Frakk, that, I should treat them as the vaporware they have been for 35+ years and do my own thing.

Everything is vapourware until it comes out.

Damn the torpedos, full speed ahead.

That's the spirit! Publish and be damned!

Obviously, I am really looking forward to seeing what you do with this.

3 hours ago, Terry Mullins said:

So Gods of glorantha, advertised in the books, isn't out yet? Sigh.

Since those adverts were written & published, the Gods/Cults book has doubled in size, is now two volumes with 100 long-form write-ups.

I believe the text is complete, it's now in art/layout.  But the art step is taking a long, long time (this is not unexpected, fwiw).

C'es ne pas un .sig