Upcoming Glorantha publications (Old thread 2015-2022)

Steve

9 minutes ago, g33k said:

2 words for you:  "vacation reading"
That needs a budget, too!

Well, yeah.

I'm a Civil War reenactor and since the COVID outbreak, that's been [pun intended] a thing of the past. So we're planning an Oregon Coast museum trip. She gets time on the beach [I have pins in my knee, so beach isn't my thing] and I get to see some old warbirds.

AND the de rigeur trip to Powell's Books... the best bookstore on the West Coast.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pnick said:

So, no news — or replies — is good news?

The latest information was from ImpCon4 a few weeks ago, where I think it was in the final text edit and art commission stage, before layout, with a possible but definitely not definite release date in late 22.

That would be about 5 years between start of the project being announced and pdf release for a sourcebook (or a set of two sourcebooks?). There are other projects like the new Troll Pack or the Nochet/Esrolia one which have been just beyond the horizon for longer.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

On 2/17/2022 at 4:13 PM, svensson said:

Well, yeah.

I'm a Civil War reenactor and since the COVID outbreak, that's been [pun intended] a thing of the past. So we're planning an Oregon Coast museum trip. She gets time on the beach [I have pins in my knee, so beach isn't my thing] and I get to see some old warbirds.

AND the de rigeur trip to Powell's Books... the best bookstore on the West Coast.

Well if you are going to be in Portland, Or. visiting Powells, you might want to check out 'Guardian Games' game store on the East side of the Willamette River. Probably not the biggest game store, but the biggest one I have been in. https://ggportland.com/

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ethereal said:

Well if you are going to be in Portland, Or. visiting Powells, you might want to check out 'Guardian Games' game store on the East side of the Willamette River. Probably not the biggest game store, but the biggest one I have been in. https://ggportland.com/

Thanks for the tip! I appreciate it.

If Portland hasn't devolved into Mogadishu-style anarchy again when we head that way, I'll check it out.

If you ever happen to find your way North on I-5, I can't recommend Olympic Comics and Cards in Lacey [just North of Olympia] highly enough. If it's not Geek Heaven, it's a reasonable substitute.

https://olympiccardsandcomics.com/

Edited by svensson
  • Like 1

On 2/21/2022 at 9:53 AM, Rick Meints said:

Those aren't going to be finished (ready for purchase) this year.

Since the timing is relatively synchronous, I would be very happy to adjust the whole of the P&BR Companion re-release series to match the information in these official publications as closely as possible.

1) Basically I have always spent extra effort making sure (and potentially I may have failed sometimes, but not through lack of hard work) that my material contradicts nothing official, and as little well-accepted unofficial material as possible. Takes extra hours of work sometimes but feels respectful. Like that aspect of Improv' - Always try to accept an idea rather than contradict it, because that enhances creativity and collaborative magic

2) Plus it would feel really dumb to go through this massive re-release process only for a few months later for an official publication to appear that was utterly incompatible with the Companion series

3) A big aim of the Companion series was from the very beginning to be 'extra support material' for these locations. It was NEVER intended to be alternate, stand-alone or supersceding. Since that ethos is a primary driver, again it would feel really counter to the whole point of this re-release if the series emerges and then weeks or months later is made utterly incompatible with official ideas

I am probably faced with a choice. Delay the Companion series release (although not the creation, which won't be all compete for a few months anyway) and then buy the new official stuff and re-edit to match, or ask if I can have any access to the developing new material for the sole purpose not of using any of it, but simply of rewriting any contradictions in my work in advance. (I imagine this is not likely to be allowed, but thought I'd ponder. I mean, I was Pavis Expert for a year or two, and had a lot of conversations with Greg, so a whole bunch of background stuff in the P&BR series was actually verified by or originated from Greg. Mani's Clan for instance.)

Edited by Ian Thomson
  • Like 3

------------------------------------

Former Issaries Inc. 'Pavis Expert'

Some of my creations and co-creations: https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/browse?keyword=Ian Thomson 

3 hours ago, Ian Thomson said:

I'm not familiar with your old Pavis material, but the new book Chaosium is doing will be set after Argrath takes the city so I think as long as your stuff is set during the Lunar occupation like in P&BR it'll probably fit in well enough.

3 minutes ago, Richard S. said:

I'm not familiar with your old Pavis material, but the new book Chaosium is doing will be set after Argrath takes the city so I think as long as your stuff is set during the Lunar occupation like in P&BR it'll probably fit in well enough.

There is absolutely the bonus of the different time-period. However, they will no doubt include a section of recent history, and also a structure of how the Pavis Priesthood and Government works, and stuff like that.

My Grey Company campaign gets heavily involved in politics, and the last Companion I am planning to write covers their pivotal role in the Wedding of Pavis, the Liberation of Pavis and the final manifestation of Pavis' grand plan.

Yes my campaign actually ran up to and beyond Argrath taking Pavis (I telescoped the timeline a bit) and so there is actually some overlap especially in the last (and perhaps penultimate) volume

It is possible that I might write that last volume as totally non-canon. As an alternate history to Argrath. That I would be fine with

However because of the socio-political nature of the last stages of my campaign I would love to spend an extra few hours making it match the upcoming material as closely as possible for being non-contradictory

You are absolutely right in that much of the earlier material won't matter at all because it is all stuff like adventuring in the Rubble (although the socio-political elements do start to creep in quite early in small ways)

Thanks for the response :)

• Like 1

Some of my creations and co-creations: https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/browse?keyword=Ian Thomson 

3 hours ago, Ian Thomson said:

... ask if I can have any access to the developing new material for the sole purpose not of using any of it, but simply of rewriting any contradictions in my work in advance...

I think the time has come to reach out directly to Chaosium...  I doubt they want to discuss NDA's &c on the forum!  😇

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

On 2/22/2022 at 2:12 AM, Ian Thomson said:

Since the timing is relatively synchronous, I would be very happy to adjust the whole of the P&BR Companion re-release series to match the information in these official publications as closely as possible.

I would publish them as they are and then, when the new version of Pavis and Big Rubble comes out, publish an update to keep in in line with the official version.

The whole point of the Jonstown Compendium is that YGWV and I like the way that you P&BRC expanded Pavis and the Big Rubble in interesting ways.

If your material comes out first, then people will start using it and then adapt their campaigns when the official material comes out.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

>>I would publish them as they are and then, when the new version of Pavis and Big Rubble comes out, publish an update to keep in in line with the official version.<<

What's the protocol around that?

If I publish them and then retcon myself? I don't like doing that, but if it's an accepted thing... Timing could end up being good though in that the material most likely to be problematic is later in the campaign and so the new material might be out by then. (Gloranthan material has a reputation for epic delays, but let's be hopeful.) :)

Exceptions of course could be very small alterations to earlier volumes in the series. I've no problem with that

For now I will just wait I think, until I start to get close to re-publishing the first volume with any major socio-political stuff in

>>The whole point of the Jonstown Compendium is that YGWV and I like the way that you P&BRC expanded Pavis and the Big Rubble in interesting ways.<<

Totally, but what I'm interested to see is if any new official facts can be easily adapted into my series without compromising any of that stuff.

>>If your material comes out first, then people will start using it and then adapt their campaigns when the official material comes out.<<

Fer sure, and if the new Pavis material wasn't scheduled for the very near future I wouldn't be concerned. But it is scheduled for the very near future.

Plus, as mentioned I don't mind writing a non-canon close to the series that is totally Pavis-centric and has the city rise from the ashes due to magnificent Green Age magic. (Presuming that the heroic PCs succeed in their roles of course.) :)

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Ian Thomson said:

Akhelas is in the middle of doing so with To Hunt a God, Parts One and Two, with a free update to those who have paid for Part One.

image.png.e2984f6aa0cd01f55f0ab83f89405838.png

This book currently includes Part One of the titular adventure. Part Two will be released during 2022, and will be a free update to everyone who has previously purchased To Hunt a God. When Part Two is released, this supplement's price will also increase. The Cult of Hrunda and the Temple of the Bones, however, are completed are ready for the table!

If I publish them and then retcon myself?

Well, there is a tradition...

🙂

40 minutes ago, soltakss said:

The whole point of the Jonstown Compendium is that YGWV and I like the way that you P&BRC expanded Pavis and the Big Rubble in interesting ways.

It looks very interesting, I am beginning to drool!

Fer sure, and if the new Pavis material wasn't scheduled for the very near future I wouldn't be concerned. But it is scheduled for the very near future.

Tight schedule, eh?

Plus, as mentioned I don't mind writing a non-canon close to the series that is totally Pavis-centric and has the city rise from the ashes due to magnificent Green Age magic. (Presuming that the heroic PCs succeed in their roles of course.) 🙂

There are many loose canons, around here, eh, @Crel? From what I have seen, you should be proud, Ian!

Edited by Bill the barbarian
  • Like 2

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

9 hours ago, Ian Thomson said:

If I publish them and then retcon myself? I don't like doing that, but if it's an accepted thing... Timing could end up being good though in that the material most likely to be problematic is later in the campaign and so the new material might be out by then. (Gloranthan material has a reputation for epic delays, but let's be hopeful.) 🙂

I am going to do something similar when the official HeroQuesting rules come out, producing something that links them in with Secrets of HeroQuesting.

If Chaosium produce another Dorastor book, I'll do something similar again, with ways to reconcile what is in our Dorastor material with what is in the official material.

It is not a case of retconning, more a case of "Hey, this is what I had and this is what came out, they are different in these ways and here is the explanation".

• Like 2

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

11 hours ago, Bill the barbarian said:

There are many loose canons, around here, eh, @Crel?

😄 The more Glorantha I write, the more I find myself telling "canon" to go fuck itself. It's generally been a comfortable feeling, and I'd encourage the same from other authors.

11 hours ago, Ian Thomson said:

>>I would publish them as they are and then, when the new version of Pavis and Big Rubble comes out, publish an update to keep in in line with the official version.<<

If I publish them and then retcon myself? I don't like doing that, but if it's an accepted thing...

I don't know, off the top of my head, of any major JC internal retcons. The nearest thing I can think of is the Sandheart remaster - but as that implies, it didn't change any "facts," was more a polish and expansion of material.

My own To Hunt a God shouldn't retcon Part One as published, but I already know that Part One will need polishing and tweaking to weave it together with Part Two. Just sort of the nature of the beast.

I try to be internally consistent, consistent with the Guide, and then nibble away for inspiration from anywhere else. TBH as much as I bluster, I do spend a fair bit of energy trying to be consistent with what Chaosium publishes, but I do have a few sneaky ideas in mind - which will see daylight eventually - that probably don't fit with the current presentation.

No one will stop you from updating and changing your product. Anyone who had access to a prior version, will continue to have access to that version of the book(s). If you published a retcon in, say, four years, I would suggest not taking down the prior edition, but having both versions of the digital file available for customers to choose which they find most useful.

I would also suggest not creating a Print-on-Demand (POD) edition until you're confident you won't want to revise the text. POD's a chore, and trust me, you won't want to do it multiple times.

11 hours ago, Ian Thomson said:

Plus, as mentioned I don't mind writing a non-canon close to the series that is totally Pavis-centric and has the city rise from the ashes due to magnificent Green Age magic. (Presuming that the heroic PCs succeed in their roles of course.) 🙂

That sounds weird and cool as hell. I definitely think you should just go ahead. Don't worry about Chaosium's schedule, or you'll be waiting forever.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my publications here. Disclaimer: affiliate link.

Social Media: Facebook Patreon Twitter Website

23 minutes ago, Crel said:

😄 The more Glorantha I write, the more I find myself telling "canon" to go fuck itself. It's generally been a comfortable feeling, and I'd encourage the same from other authors.

Hear, hear!

23 minutes ago, Crel said:

I don't know, off the top of my head, of any major JC internal retcons. The nearest thing I can think of is the Sandheart remaster - but as that implies, it didn't change any "facts," was more a polish and expansion of material.

That wasn't a retcon. Also, "Your Gloranthas Will Vary." You are under absolutely no obligation to conform to either Chaosium canon or indeed your own previously published work in community content titles. It would be frankly absurd for Chaosium to attempt to hold fanwank to a higher standard than it has ever been able to maintain itself. If people don't like what you're doing with your body of work, they're under no obligation to: buy it, rate it, review it positively, etc.

• Like 2

On 2/21/2022 at 10:26 PM, Richard S. said:

The new material is SUBSTANTIALLY different from Ian's old material that was published by Tradetalk. The underlying mythology is very different.

• Helpful 1

1 hour ago, Jeff said:

The new material is SUBSTANTIALLY different from Ian's old material that was published by Tradetalk. The underlying mythology is very different.

That's good, we can have different approaches to the same area.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Nick Brooke said:

Hear, hear!

That wasn't a retcon. Also, "Your Gloranthas Will Vary." You are under absolutely no obligation to conform to either Chaosium canon or indeed your own previously published work in community content titles. It would be frankly absurd for Chaosium to attempt to hold fanwank to a higher standard than it has ever been able to maintain itself. If people don't like what you're doing with your body of work, they're under no obligation to: buy it, rate it, review it positively, etc.

Did you really say what you appear to have said there......or was it autocorrect at work ? 😄

Feeling precious today, are we?

Speaking for myself, I write fanwank for silly elf games. Maybe you are working on an altogether higher level, I wouldn’t know. But I eagerly await your own community content contributions, and will provide all the support you need to get them out in digital and print formats.

• Helpful 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/22/2022 at 5:46 PM, Mountpain said:

Oh great, another Sartar book. Can't wait for that. Totally not going to lose hope in ever seeing any chance of literally anything non-orlanthi coming out ever. 

I will eat a shoe if a Lunar Empire book comes out before 2030.

I will provide a nice shoe shaped cake, just in case. 

But I really expect to be doling out cake to all and sundry. 

4 hours ago, Orlanthatemyhamster said:

I will provide a nice shoe shaped cake, just in case. 

But I really expect to be doling out cake to all and sundry. 

Well, we have been waiting decades for Heroquesting rules it seems and none has been published yet. So you better collect lots and lots of patience. 

• Like 1