Upcoming Glorantha publications (Old thread 2015-2022)

Steve

On 3/15/2022 at 7:35 AM, Jose said:

Well, we have been waiting decades for Heroquesting rules it seems and none has been published yet.

Except for the unofficial Secrets of HeroQuesting, of course, on the Jonstown Compendium.

• Like 2

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

8 minutes ago, Orlanthatemyhamster said:

Aren't we still waiting for the GMs Book or what have you, or was that the recent arms book? 

Secrets of Heroquesting is a Jonstown title out now on drivethru.

The next Chaosium book that we're waiting for is 'Cults of Glorantha'.

Books that have been asked for on this forum include, but are not limited to:

- A definitive guide to the Lunar Empire

- A book on Sorcery

- A book on Esrolia

There are many, many others but those are the ones at the top of head a 0130 in the morning...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Orlanthatemyhamster said:

Aren't we still waiting for the GMs Book or what have you, or was that the recent arms book? 

Yes, according to what's been said in various places (e.g. Impromptu Con and Facebook) there's supposed to be a GM's book coming at some point.

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, g33k said:

@Steve
New info about next-up, best-guess about order-available.

Jason D said earlier today (on the "Glorantha Fans" FBGroup):
Dragon Pass Gazetteer,

Cults of Glorantha + Prosopaedia,

Gamemaster Sourcebook

This is very interesting. If the Dragon Pass Gazetteer incorporates part of what was going to be in the Sartar set, then ... what's going to be in the Sartar set? In-depth description of Boldhome and a campaign?

• Helpful 1

11 minutes ago, Beoferret said:

This is very interesting. If the Dragon Pass Gazetteer incorporates part of what was going to be in the Sartar set, then ... what's going to be in the Sartar set? In-depth description of Boldhome and a campaign?

<shrugs>
I think things are still in flux.  I believe a separately-planned "Gazetteer" got rolled-into the "Sartar Set," but seems to have been rolled-back-out.  I'm not a Chaosium insider; but given the new Gazetter seems to be expected to be the very next release, I presume that much (at least) is pretty firmly set.

Hypothetically speaking, maybe the Sartar Set will be like the core slipcase set -- each buyable separately, or together in a case?  But, as-noted above, I'm not Chaosium, so it may even be overreach to call the notion "hypothetical!"  😉

Edited by g33k
  • Helpful 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

13 minutes ago, Beoferret said:

+ Sartar Booklet: how works the kingdom, a clan, how to manage it, initiation stuff ...

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

On the last pages of Gloranthan Bestiary Chaosium have a page with other products that you could buy. One of them is called "Runequest Gods of Glorantha". The bestiary was published in 2018 so they can definitely not mean the yet-to-be-published "Cults book". Are they talking about some updated version of the Avalon Hill book "Gods of Glorantha"? Or is it another word for the "Cults Compendium" that you can order in pdf?

Edited by Soccercalle

37 minutes ago, Soccercalle said:

On the last pages of Gloranthan Bestiary Chaosium have a page with other products that you could buy. One of them is called "Runequest Gods of Glorantha". The bestiary was published in 2018 so they can definitely not mean the yet-to-be-published "Cults book". Are they talking about some updated version of the Avalon Hill book "Gods of Glorantha"? Or is it another word for the "Cults Compendium" that you can order in pdf?

Gods of Glorantha / Gods & Goddesses of Glorantha / Cults of Glorantha 
They are one and the same. 
The title was not pinned down.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AndreJarosch said:

Gods of Glorantha / Gods & Goddesses of Glorantha / Cults of Glorantha 
They are one and the same. 
The title was not pinned down.

To add to @AndreJarosch's point, GoG /3G /CoG isn't out as yet.

It's expected to be next book released.

Might I also recommend the excellent 'Weapons and Equipment' book. It's helped my game a great deal. And, after all, who doesn't need a book for 'More Stuff' 😁

4 minutes ago, svensson said:

To add to @AndreJarosch's point, GoG /3G /CoG isn't out as yet.

It's expected to be next book released.

Might I also recommend the excellent 'Weapons and Equipment' book. It's helped my game a great deal. And, after all, who doesn't need a book for 'More Stuff' 😁

Jasons statement on Facebook was the most likely sequence of the next three publications: 

Dragon Pass Gazetteer (a booklet intended for the "Sartar Set", but "branched out", according to Jason). 

Cults of Glorantha + Prosopaedia

Gamemaster Sourcebook

Lets hope all three will get published THIS year. 😉

• Like 3
  • Helpful 1

11 hours ago, Soccercalle said:

... The bestiary was published in 2018 so they can definitely not mean the yet-to-be-published "Cults book" ... 

There's your mistake, right there!
😉
The term you're looking for is "scope creep." *

As originally envisioned, it was going to be 1 book of "a few dozen" gods/cults, much like prior books.  A few copies of (what was thought to be) a "near final" draft was sold some years back (2018?) at a... GenCon, I think?  Maybe Origins?  It had IIRC 50 cults.

By March of 2019, that was up to 70 Cults:
https://basicroleplaying.org/topic/9114-gods-and-goddesses-of-glorantha/
and they were beginning to think it'd be a two-volume set.
In July, it was in "final editing and proofing."

It's now a THREE book project -- 2 "Cults" books and a "Prosopaedia" -- with 100 cults.

* - not to be confused with "creeping Chaos" (Gbaji save us!)... but the Chaosium, after all, is not the Orderium!

Edited by g33k
not the Orderium
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

On 4/6/2022 at 5:35 PM, g33k said:

There's your mistake, right there!
😉
The term you're looking for is "scope creep." *

As originally envisioned, it was going to be 1 book of "a few dozen" gods/cults, much like prior books.  A few copies of (what was thought to be) a "near final" draft was sold some years back (2018?) at a... GenCon, I think?  Maybe Origins?  It had IIRC 50 cults.

By March of 2019, that was up to 70 Cults:
https://basicroleplaying.org/topic/9114-gods-and-goddesses-of-glorantha/
and they were beginning to think it'd be a two-volume set.
In July, it was in "final editing and proofing."

It's now a THREE book project -- 2 "Cults" books and a "Prosopaedia" -- with 100 cults.

* - not to be confused with "creeping Chaos" (Gbaji save us!)... but the Chaosium, after all, is not the Orderium!

I think this actually is a bad strategy from Chaosium. A lot of us players started in the 80s and 90s and are now in an age where we dont get younger. We have been waiting for HeroQuest rules since the Carter administration. We prefer great products today to perfect products in the future.

It would be much better if Chaosium released shorter books instead of waiting for the perfect tomb. When the RQG was released the three books (core rules, bestiary and GMs screen) was released one by one (even if you later could buy them together in a slipcase. That was a great strategy!

They could have done the same and actually promised a cults book in late 2018. Of course, only with 30-50 cults instead of 100. And with great (instead of perfect art). But that would have given us three years to play with long versions of the Lightbringers and other of the most important PC cults in the Air and Earth Pantheons. The Lunar and Chaos cults could have been released six, twelve months or twenty-four months later.

If you look at what has been published in the last three years (2019, 2020 and 2021) it's a great Starter Set (but the scenarios and the description of Jonstown is really the only thing that old players really could appreciate, Pegasus Plateau (good scenarios, but not better than the ones in JC), the Red Book of Magic (mostly old information in a new format), Weapons and Equipment (good book but much less important than a campaign setting, if you dont think managing and owning land is MFG) and finally a coloring book (the only official product I haven't bought). 

So in three years. Mostly a description of Jonstown, rules for trade and owning lands and some scenarios. This makes the first years of Avalon Hill a productive era for Glorantha.

And I really appreciate all other information that especially Jeff puts out there in social media. And I dont doubt for a second that he and Jason works very hard. But I think Chaosium should prioritize INFORMATION in the form av campaign settings and cult descriptions. Adventures can mostly be handled in JC (IF THE COMMUNITY HAVE THE SETTINGS AND CULT DESCRIPTIONS). And finally, I am not a person who is uninterested in art and new maps. But I think that core information about the setting and cults is so much more important. I can live with good art. It doesn't have to be the greatest.

Edited by Soccercalle
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Soccercalle said:

I think this actually is a bad strategy from Chaosium...

I am (in large part) in the same camp.  I'd have loved to see the HQ'ing rules (for example) broken out into their own book (maybe as a 64pg softcover?  128pg hardcover?), and released.

BUT... that may not have been possible.  Don't forget that there was a non-trivial back-and-forth'ing between those rules and the Cults book (there may also be some interplay or overlap with Shaman rules and their Otherworld quests).  I believe the HQ'ing rules are still being playtested in Chaosium "house games," and are not even ready for release!

### 

But also, remember that the new management-team at Chaosium are fans of the game, first and foremost.

Moon Design got their start, really, with the licensed "Glorantha Classics" series, back when Chaosium was struggling and all that goodness was out of print & unavailable to the fans; the incredible Guide to Glorantha was their product from before they were part of Chaosium!

Now those people ARE Chaosium.  So this sentiment:

16 hours ago, Soccercalle said:

... with great (instead of perfect art)...

... core information about the setting and cults is so much more important. I can live with good art. It doesn't have to be the greatest.

I think isn't going to fly at the new Chaosium.  It is still too much a passion-project of ardent fans, who are unwilling to do other than the very, very best they can.

• Helpful 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

6 hours ago, g33k said:

I am (in large part) in the same camp.  I'd have loved to see the HQ'ing rules (for example) broken out into their own book (maybe as a 64pg softcover?  128pg hardcover?), and released.

BUT... that may not have been possible.  Don't forget that there was a non-trivial back-and-forth'ing between those rules and the Cults book (there may also be some interplay or overlap with Shaman rules and their Otherworld quests).  I believe the HQ'ing rules are still being playtested in Chaosium "house games," and are not even ready for release!

### 

But also, remember that the new management-team at Chaosium are fans of the game, first and foremost.

Moon Design got their start, really, with the licensed "Glorantha Classics" series, back when Chaosium was struggling and all that goodness was out of print & unavailable to the fans; the incredible Guide to Glorantha was their product from before they were part of Chaosium!

Now those people ARE Chaosium.  So this sentiment:

I think isn't going to fly at the new Chaosium.  It is still too much a passion-project of ardent fans, who are unwilling to do other than the very, very best they can.

Cults and Heroquesting rules are the grand stoppers I think. Once those two are out, the doors will be fully open. Cults is a foundational text with lots of beautiful art not easy to layout with limited resources. And Heroquesting rules well... "A lot of expectation" is too short way to say it. I have read people have been waiting for almost 30 years, so no pressure here😬 better do it right😉

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jose said:

I have read people have been waiting for almost 30 years, so no pressure here😬 better do it right😉

I have been playing since 1982, and have been waiting for official HeroQuesting rules for that long, so 40 years now.

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

1 hour ago, AndreJarosch said:

You have not waited! You wrote and published your own HeroQuesting rules! 🙂

I got impatient, after all I didn't want to be waiting for 40 years!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, svensson said:

Has 'Weapons and Equipment' hit the street in hardback yet?

I admit it, I'm an old guy and it's just more efficient for me to have a book at the table instead of a pdf.

No, but if you bought a PDF from chaosium.com Dustin should be sending you a coupon for half the price of the book when it is available (what you paid for a perfectly searchable PDF and all its other uses as well! i.e. it’s free!).  Assuming you did not buy it as a PDF, or they lose your name at the shipping desk (very unlikely) there should be a lot of notice here from MOB shouting its birth when it does come out. But seeing as the PDF is eventually free and I assume you have a wee bit of good thrifty Scot’s blood, why not?

Edited by Bill the barbarian

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

1 hour ago, Bill the barbarian said:

No, but if you bought a PDF from chaosium.com Dustin should be sending you a coupon for half the price of the book when it is available (what you paid for a perfectly searchable PDF and all its other uses as well! i.e. it’s free!).  Assuming you did not buy it as a PDF, or they lose your name at the shipping desk (very unlikely) there should be a lot of notice here from MOB shouting its birth when it does come out. But seeing as the PDF is eventually free and I assume you have a wee bit of good thrifty Scot’s blood, why not?

Oh, I did buy the pdf, and it's a GREAT resource. I'm also excited for the Prosepaedia [prolly spelled that wrong]. But the brain is a dead tree brain. PDFs work fine for reading but, for me, are very clumsy at the gaming table.

• Like 2

Well, if Dustin does not send you a coupon for half off, you should be able to notice MOB’s call out. I have yet to miss it (or the email coupon, for that matter). If you do not get a coupon from Chaosium, just follow up with a quick missive to Dustin at customer services and that should get you a missing coupon when the time comes. 

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

To be clear: coupons are only mailed out once the printed book becomes available to order. Don't worry if you don't have a coupon yet: nobody does. If the book comes out in print and you don't also receive a coupon through email, first check your spam folder then reach out to Dustin for support. He is there to help!

• Like 3
  • Helpful 1

On 4/8/2022 at 8:32 AM, Soccercalle said:

But that would have given us three years to play with long versions of the Lightbringers and other of the most important PC cults in the Air and Earth Pantheons.

If you have been playing that long, you will already have most of the Lightbringers in longform [I don't think they are going to be radically different [different probably]], the ones in CoP are still playable and there is a longform Ernalda about too, so I'm really not sure what you are worried about. The other Wind and Earth Orlanthi gods are small fry compared.