Upcoming Glorantha publications (Old thread 2015-2022)

Steve

42 minutes ago, Orlanthatemyhamster said:

If you have been playing that long, you will already have most of the Lightbringers in longform [I don't think they are going to be radically different [different probably]], the ones in CoP are still playable and there is a longform Ernalda about too, so I'm really not sure what you are worried about. The other Wind and Earth Orlanthi gods are small fry compared.

I mean... RQG core book has Ernalda & most of the Lightbringers already... Orlanth & Issaries & Eurmal & Chalanna Arroy & Lhankor Mhy.

And I think those are essentially "longform" write-ups, aren't they?

C'es ne pas un .sig

3 hours ago, g33k said:

I mean... RQG core book has Ernalda & most of the Lightbringers already... Orlanth & Issaries & Eurmal & Chalanna Arroy & Lhankor Mhy.

And I think those are essentially "longform" write-ups, aren't they?

No, RQG just has short form: bare essentials on backgrounds, requirements, and benefits. Long form is what you find in CoP, CoT, etc.: full mythology, organization, social position, relationships, and more details on benefits.

Edited by Richard S.
  • Like 3
  • Helpful 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just a request🙂 . Please Jeff, can you speed up the cults book? so we can explore other mythologies beyond the "why elmal is better than Yelmalio", "Yelmalio sucks as a war god" or " I don't like other gods rune magic because sucks except for yelm, Orlanth and ernalda" thing. I mean, I think many of us would like to go deeper. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Jose said:

Just a request🙂 . Please Jeff, can you speed up the cults book? so we can explore other mythologies beyond the "why elmal is better than Yelmalio", "Yelmalio sucks as a war god" or " I don't like other gods rune magic because sucks except for yelm, Orlanth and ernalda" thing. I mean, I think many of us would like to go deeper. 

Jeff talked about a possible pdf release in late March in one of the Youtube-videos. That didn't happen but it indicates that it should be out (in pdf) in the coming weeks. I don't know if @Jeffor anyone else has an update.

Pretty certain they can't speed it up: but it would be nice to know if it will have a PDF pre-release while we await printing and shipping. A tasty aperitif to keep the hungry masses at bay 🙂

• Like 1

--

The Voralans presents Glorantha's magical mushroom humanoids, the black elves. "Absolutely phenomenal" - Austin C. "Seriously weird-ass shit" - John D. "A great piece of work" - Leon K. The Electrum best-selling The Children of Hykim documents Glorantha's shape-changing totemic animal people, the Hsunchen. "Magisterial ... highly recommended" - Nick Brooke. "Lovingly detailed and scholarly, and fun to read" - John H. "Absolutely wonderful!" - Morgan C.

3 hours ago, Brian Duguid said:

Pretty certain they can't speed it up: but it would be nice to know if it will have a PDF pre-release while we await printing and shipping. A tasty aperitif to keep the hungry masses at bay 🙂

Yes, I prefer a pdf first so the corrections can be made before goes to printers. 

• Like 1

On 3/30/2022 at 6:25 PM, Beoferret said:

This is very interesting. If the Dragon Pass Gazetteer incorporates part of what was going to be in the Sartar set, then ... what's going to be in the Sartar set? In-depth description of Boldhome and a campaign?

Personally, with no unusual insight into what Jeff is actually producing, I would hope to see these things and estimate a decent likelihood that my hopes may come true:

- We have already seen the pencil draft Sartar tribal and clan maps, so I expect to see cleaner versions of those either in the Gazetteer or the Sartar book(s).

- Detail on all the tribes of Sartar, and some information about all the clans and their larger villages.  Explaining some history, leading personalities, temples and cult membership (which Jeff often comments on), adventure hooks, specialties. 

- Detail (to the standard already published about Clearwine & Jonstown) not only on Boldhome but also on other cities not previously covered: Wilmskirk, Swenstown, Duck Point. Runegate...   explaining some history, leading personalities, temples, markets, available services & commodities,  a few adventure hooks, layouts of the cities.

- Information not only on the human areas, but also on the elder races:  Aldyami and Uz areas.  Even a little on the Mostali: Dwarf Clifis in on the map, and a couple more places were mentioned in the Heroquest/Questworlds books.  And detail on the Dragonewt areas in Sartar:  I'm personally not sure whether Dragon's Eye is included in Sartar (it's on the Northern Sartar map, but I doubt Sartar's writ ever ran there), but High Wyrm is.  And the Telmori - either as  a tribe or an elder race, they are there.  A few notes on the Creekstream River system newtlings would be nice.

- Information about  non-urban places of religious and magical importance, like Larnste's table, Hill of Orlanth Victorious, 3-Emerald Temple.

- Some information on trade & commodities, roads, and inns would be appreciated. There are all those inns on the Northern Sartar map, which looks like a sign that something will be published on them.

What I doubt will be included, although the Northern Sartar map in the starter set shows them, is areas not under Sartarite political control as of 1626ST: Far Point, Alone, Upland Marsh, the Bush Ranges.  And that map is "Northern Sartar" - so what would be on a Southern Sartar map?  Sun Dome County which is right on the edge? Whitewall?  Exactly where does Southern Sartar become Heortland and take us into the Holy Country book(s)? 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Squaredeal Sten said:

Sun Dome County which is right on the edge? Whitewall?  Exactly where does Southern Sartar become Heortland and take us into the Holy Country book(s)? 

I believe the Kultain tribe represent the divide.  They are part of the Wilmskirk Confederation, and yet are also closely aligned to the tribes around Whitewall.  

• Like 1

Are we almost there yet? Are we almost there yet? Are we almost there yet?

More seriously, a wild conjecture: that soon after May is done, we will see a couple of hoped for RQ releases. Why after May? 'Cuz (according to this blog post: https://www.chaosium.com/blogcovid19-shipping-and-fulfilment-update-30-april-2022/ ), Great Cthulhu has decided that May is his time. 

4 hours ago, Beoferret said:

More seriously, a wild conjecture: that soon after May is done, we will see a couple of hoped for RQ releases. Why after May? 'Cuz (according to this blog post: https://www.chaosium.com/blogcovid19-shipping-and-fulfilment-update-30-april-2022/ ), Great Cthulhu has decided that May is his time. 

July if we are lucky enough. I have the feeling that they are waiting to the GM book be finished. 

Minor correction on the Cults of Glorantha description, from Jeff on Facebook:

• "96 distinct cults plus another 40 or so minor cults" i.e. not 100 long-form cults.

Also the Dragon Pass Gazetteer may or may not be called the Dragon Pass Atlas.

Also coming soon: Chaosium Classics Volume 1: The Stafford House Campaign, 84-page softcover, probably POD.

And of course the Meints Index to Glorantha III, 264-page hardcover.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

--

The Voralans presents Glorantha's magical mushroom humanoids, the black elves. "Absolutely phenomenal" - Austin C. "Seriously weird-ass shit" - John D. "A great piece of work" - Leon K. The Electrum best-selling The Children of Hykim documents Glorantha's shape-changing totemic animal people, the Hsunchen. "Magisterial ... highly recommended" - Nick Brooke. "Lovingly detailed and scholarly, and fun to read" - John H. "Absolutely wonderful!" - Morgan C.

On 4/29/2022 at 6:15 AM, Jose said:

There's bucket loads if you want to 'go deeper' [into what?], 'The Stafford Library' for starters, should keep you occupied for decades. But if you want to play flavour of the week, the Cults books should keep you busy I suppose.

It's easy to see why Elmal is streets ahead of Yelmalio, you get Fire Blade and Arrow nether of which require you possibly never to wear armour for some minor gift on a dice roll. Not sure why it's a debate, oh, now I remember, some people think players need a crutch to role play. :s

On 5/3/2022 at 7:10 PM, Beoferret said:

More seriously, a wild conjecture: that soon after May is done, we will see a couple of hoped for RQ releases

On 5/3/2022 at 11:22 PM, Jose said:

July if we are lucky enough. I have the feeling that they are waiting to the GM book be finished. 

I predict June.The two tome Cults of Glorantha will be released gratis as Chaosium’s contribution to Free RPG Day!

— The prognosticating barbarian

Edited by Bill the barbarian

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

3 hours ago, Bill the barbarian said:

I predict June, The two tome Cults of Glorantha will be released gratis as Chaosium’s contribution to Free RPG Day!

— The prognosticating barbarian

Not even if you go looting & pillaging, my good Barbarian!

C'es ne pas un .sig

On 5/10/2022 at 9:22 AM, Brian Duguid said:

Minor correction on the Cults of Glorantha description, from Jeff on Facebook:

• "96 distinct cults plus another 40 or so minor cults" i.e. not 100 long-form cults.

Aww, hardly worth buying, then, for just 96 full cults. 🙂

• Haha 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

On 5/12/2022 at 11:14 AM, Rick Meints said:

In general we do not take pre-orders on items. V1 of Chaosium Classics will be for sale soon.

To me, shopping from Chaosium, "pre-order" means putting 50% down and waiting for the coupon-code when it's ready.

I understand some people also look for a PDF somewhere in the process...

😁

Edited by g33k
(ETA -- for those who don't know: you can buy the PDF from Chaosium for half the price of the hardcopy, and when the hardcopy's available you get a discount-code for the PDF-price, to apply to the hardcopy)
  • Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

On 5/12/2022 at 8:14 PM, Rick Meints said:

In general we do not take pre-orders on items. V1 of Chaosium Classics will be for sale soon.

I think people see your "buy pdf and get a coupon" as a pre-order. An excellent system and a pity if you discontinue it. I get that you wanted a coordinated release for the Starter Set. But asking people who have been waiting for heroquest rules for 40 years or the Cults Book since 2018 to wait an extra year is very problematic. I understand that writing, art and layout takes time. But its not fair to prolong the wait for 6-12 more months for physical books to reach all ware houses.

10 minutes ago, Soccercalle said:

I think people see your "buy pdf and get a coupon" as a pre-order. An excellent system and a pity if you discontinue it. I get that you wanted a coordinated release for the Starter Set. But asking people who have been waiting for heroquest rules for 40 years or the Cults Book since 2018 to wait an extra year is very problematic. I understand that writing, art and layout takes time. But its not fair to prolong the wait for 6-12 more months for physical books to reach all ware houses.

Typically (that I have seen) it's only a matter of a month or two extra wait from when the first warehouse gets product, 'til when the final warehouse does.  Which is 1st & which is last depend on where they print, of course.

C'es ne pas un .sig

14 hours ago, g33k said:

To me, shopping from Chaosium, "pre-order" means putting 50% down and waiting for the coupon-code when it's ready. I understand some people also look for a PDF somewhere in the process...

😁

You are welcome to consider buying the PDF prior to purchasing the printed book a "pre-order". That's not a term we are going to adopt for the discount coupon you get if you buy a PDF though. We are sticking with the traditional use of the word "pre-order" which means paying in advance in full for a yet to be released item. Just to be crystal clear, I was trying to only say: We do not take pre-orders for printed books via the Chaosium website

NOTE: Kickstarter is a very different situation. Fortunately, very few people confuse the chaosium website with the Kickstarter website...

• Helpful 1

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

3 minutes ago, Rick Meints said:

You are welcome to consider buying the PDF prior to purchasing the printed book a "pre-order". That's not a term we are going to adopt for the discount coupon you get if you buy a PDF though. We are sticking with the traditional use of the word "pre-order" which means paying in advance in full for a yet to be released item. Just to be crystal clear, I was trying to only say: We do not take pre-orders for printed books via the Chaosium website

NOTE: Kickstarter is a very different situation. Fortunately, very few people confuse the chaosium website with the Kickstarter website...

I understand that. But I think most of us who has bought the pdf:s have been planning to also buy the printed book when it becomes available. So in that sense it is a kind of pre-order. But of course it is not the usual definition of a pre-order.