Jump to content

Upcoming Glorantha publications


Recommended Posts

I've got no plans to be writing a lot of Malkioni material in the near future, but I am perfectly happy with people making submissions for Malkioni material. The guidelines are simple:

  • Any proposal needs to be based on the Guide - anything that smacks of the pseudomedieval or pseudo-Christian Malkioni (with saints, pagans, etc) is going to get rejected. We already have plenty of pseudo-medieval fantasy settings out there, Glorantha is not one of them. The approach taken in The Book of Glorious Joy, Blood Over Gold, Men of the Sea, HQ1, or RQ3 is not going to be published. 
  • At this point it has to be based on HQG, as RQ and 13G are not written yet.
  • It needs to contain playable material based on the Guide, including scenarios (or ideally scenarios linked into game). I'm not terribly interested in publishing "fill-between-the-lines" lists of cults, spells, etc. 
  • It needs to do something new and novel, with themes and conflicts not present in Dragon Pass, the Holy Country, or the Lunar Empire.

 

Sounds good to me. The medieval influenced Malkioni of earlier editions just seemed out of sync with the rest of Glorantha.

For the past year or so I have used other points of reference for Malkioni, all from Late Antiquity Mediterranean rather than Dark Ages Europe. My main influence is the early Byzantine Empire, with liberal dashes of Macedonians, Iberians, and such. No Saints anymore, I tend to view The Ascended Masters more like Vedic Acharyas these days. To shake things up, I have given them swords and weapons based on ancient Chinese from The Warring States period, because I think I read this somewhere in the Glorantha.com forum and it seemed to fit well. 

So definitely not medieval influenced. Just my own pastiche at this stage,  however I'm eagerly waiting for some canon resources to show up before I begin another campaign, just so I get the flavour right.

Someone out there please get writing :)

Edited by Mankcam
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We at the Chaosium usually announce a book's definitive premier in the product lineup when layout of the final manuscript has begun. We have numerous books in the writing or editing stage, but we don'

Comparing the output for any roleplaying game against the output for D&D is always going to come out the same way. D&D in all its editions has wildly outsold all its competitors. It's pretty m

A weapons and equipment book is well underway, including art commissioning.

Posted Images

Feel free and ask a few loose questions in another thread, and I am happy to help out. Just don't come up with big long laundry lists of small details (frex, "where was so-and-so in 1616" or "who is the second cousin of who-is-that" or "what is the name of the talar who rules the settlement of Dorphilisket") - as I am very unlikely to answer those sorts of questions.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/25/2015, 12:25:31, Jeff said:

The two Red Cow books are just flat out awesome and are in layout. We are redoing our layout templates and upping the awesome factor, but we are SUPER excited about this.

Trollpak just needs me to start commissioning art.

What's a typical time between when something is in layout and when it actually is for sale?   I mean, how far along in the process is that phase of production?

Edited by Pentallion
Link to post
Share on other sites

Once layout is finished and has been checked the pdf can be generated (that's the file that gets sent to the printer) and some companies offer an order option at that point to get the revenue stream started. Once the files have gone to the printer he has to slot it into the queue. The printing takes  a period of time dependent on the volume and then shipping takes place. This can be six or eight weeks from China or less if printing is done locally. Importation rules often hold up shipments from outside a country and then it arrives at the distribution centre where it is packaged and mailed.

The answer is it depends on where the work is printed and how long shipping takes and so on..

Edited by nclarke
Link to post
Share on other sites

So 2-4 months.  Reason I'm so curious is because we just finished the Sky Ship quest in our campaign and the very next session we play is the Dragonrise.  So I'd like to postpone to wait for the official release, but my players are not too keen on waiting till next summer.  Now, if it were going to come out somewhere Jan to March, they might be willing to doodle around playing Stormbringer or something till it gets here, but seeing as we have at bare minimum a good 6 months of the campaign after the Dragonrise, well, taking a long break isn't ideal right now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Pentallion said:

So 2-4 months.  Reason I'm so curious is because we just finished the Sky Ship quest in our campaign and the very next session we play is the Dragonrise.  So I'd like to postpone to wait for the official release, but my players are not too keen on waiting till next summer.  Now, if it were going to come out somewhere Jan to March, they might be willing to doodle around playing Stormbringer or something till it gets here, but seeing as we have at bare minimum a good 6 months of the campaign after the Dragonrise, well, taking a long break isn't ideal right now.

 

Get the PDFs as well, that way you can get a start before the books actually arrive.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Pentallion said:

So 2-4 months.  Reason I'm so curious is because we just finished the Sky Ship quest in our campaign and the very next session we play is the Dragonrise.  So I'd like to postpone to wait for the official release, but my players are not too keen on waiting till next summer.  Now, if it were going to come out somewhere Jan to March, they might be willing to doodle around playing Stormbringer or something till it gets here, but seeing as we have at bare minimum a good 6 months of the campaign after the Dragonrise, well, taking a long break isn't ideal right now.

I might have missed something, but assuming you're talking about the Red Cow books, where is it that you've seen something that says that they will contain the Dragonrise?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Dragonrise info is more likely in the upcoming Glorantha Sourcebook at whatever point the 13th Age Glorantha content is released rather than the Red Cow books. 

See reference: http://www.glorantha.com/tales-of-mythic-adventure-podcast-episode-7-season-1/

"There are also world-spanning events affecting all parts of Glorantha. One example of this is the Dragonrise, that happens in 1625. The dragon is several miles long, creates a canyon when it rises, eats most of the local Lunar army, destroys the Temple of the Reaching Moon, and then flies away. Remembering that Glorantha is a flat world, this sight would be visible from far shores. With The Guide mapping this out, you can now develop reactions across Glorantha."

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, soltakss said:

 

Get the PDFs as well, that way you can get a start before the books actually arrive.

That's what I was trying to estimate, when the pdf's would become available.  So the pdf's might be for sale even sooner than 2-4 months?  That would be fantastic.

 

@ Steve:  No one has come out and said it's about the Dragonrise, but what else can The Eleven Lights mean?  Read "The Dragonrise" pg 734 Guide to Glorantha.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Pentallion said:

@ Steve:  No one has come out and said it's about the Dragonrise, but what else can The Eleven Lights mean?  Read "The Dragonrise" pg 734 Guide to Glorantha.

Isn't that Dragonrise about 10 stars though, not 11? Also, I didn't think that the Red Cow stuff would be far enough forward in the timeline to cover the Dragonrise. But I may well be missing something.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Steve said:

Isn't that Dragonrise about 10 stars though, not 11? Also, I didn't think that the Red Cow stuff would be far enough forward in the timeline to cover the Dragonrise. But I may well be missing something.

 

The dragon's head is the 11th star.  I'm betting Dragonfriend has a role to play there.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Steve said:

Isn't that Dragonrise about 10 stars though, not 11? Also, I didn't think that the Red Cow stuff would be far enough forward in the timeline to cover the Dragonrise. But I may well be missing something.

The Coming Storm has the Dragonrise as a background event (PCs will feel the earth shake and see a massive dragon fly towards Kero Fin) but allows players to witness and participate in some of the subsequent events.

The stars consist of ten orange stars (the color of Orlanth, one for each member of the ritual) and one green and are called the Eleven Lights by the Orlanthi. This is also the name Argrath bestows upon a new Magical Union which takes an important role in the Battle of Dangerford.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, M Helsdon said:

The Coming Storm has the Dragonrise as a background event (PCs will feel the earth shake and see a massive dragon fly towards Kero Fin) but allows players to witness and participate in some of the subsequent events.

The stars consist of ten orange stars (the color of Orlanth, one for each member of the ritual) and one green and are called the Eleven Lights by the Orlanthi. This is also the name Argrath bestows upon a new Magical Union which takes an important role in the Battle of Dangerford.

So you aren't actually taking part in the Heroquest and disrupting the Lunar ceremony alongside Kallyr?  You're on the sidelines?  I sincerely hope not.  The players got to take part in the Sky Ship and I'll be disappointed if Red Cow doesn't let them take part in the Dragonrise too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Pentallion said:

So you aren't actually taking part in the Heroquest and disrupting the Lunar ceremony alongside Kallyr?  You're on the sidelines?  I sincerely hope not.  The players got to take part in the Sky Ship and I'll be disappointed if Red Cow doesn't let them take part in the Dragonrise too.

The Coming Storm is a clan based campaign, and whilst the players meet Kallyr they aren't involved directly with the Dragonrise. They are, however, involved in other major events.

The Dragonrise is enacted by a small band of powerful rebels who disrupt the opening ceremony of the New Reaching Moon Temple, using the myth of How Orlanth Conquered the Stars to invade the Lunar ceremony at the key moment when Orlanth meets Sh'harkazeel. PCs have the opportunity to talk with a witness to the events and take part in the consequences as Lunar rule in Sartar falters.

Edited by M Helsdon
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, M Helsdon said:

The Dragonrise is enacted by a small band of powerful rebels who disrupt the opening ceremony of the New Reaching Moon Temple, using the myth of How Orlanth Conquered the Stars to invade the Lunar ceremony at the key moment when Orlanth meets Sh'harkazeel. PCs have the opportunity to talk with a witness to the events and take part in the consequences as Lunar rule in Sartar falters.

There is nothing to stop a GM from allowing the players to take a bigger part in the Dragonrise, as supporters or as part of the HeroQuest.

 

You don't have to run the scenario exactly as written.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, soltakss said:

There is nothing to stop a GM from allowing the players to take a bigger part in the Dragonrise, as supporters or as part of the HeroQuest.

 

You don't have to run the scenario exactly as written.

 

So does anyone know if the Dragonrise Heroquest is actually given in the book?

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Rick Meints said:

Based on ongoing requests, we are working on reprinting the Guide to Glorantha. It should be available early in 2016, and will have more regional shipping options available, not just shipping from the US.

That is excellent news - A "lot" of people missed the Kickstarter and want a copy.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...