Design Mechanism Plans

lawrence.whitaker

On 24 October 2015 at 14:47:18, lawrence.whitaker said:

There will be a much fuller announcement on Design Mechanism’s future this side of Christmas. There are going to be some important changes, but we’re still writing, developing, commissioning and publishing our own stuff, so from that POV, it’s business as usual.

I'm very keen to hear more about DMs plans?  Although I've backed RQ2, RQ6 remains my go to system (feels a bit like meeting up with an old girlfriend behind the wife's back!).  I'm still hoping to see RQ6 (whatever it is called) fully embraced and supported by Chaosium, with DM continuing successful.  The Shores of Korantia for example is an excellent setting, very worthy of support.

Antalon

• Like 2

Same here. I'm really looking forward to getting hold of RQ2 from the Kickstarter, and will leaf through it immediately with enthusiasm. However, when the dust settles, the fantasy rpg of choice for me, and the game system I am invested in, is the RQ rules written by Pete & Loz. This is not only because of the quality of design, which is high, but also the direction they are taking the game. I'd love to see a range of well researched Mythic titles to pick and choose (and mix?) from.

I'm hoping that we see a lot more consolidation and stability from 2016 onwards regarding Chaosium and the rest, which will then actually allow all these lines to flourish. I'm also hoping to introduce the RQ game to a lot of younger D&D players next year too, as they are getting thicker on the ground again in recent times.

Edited by TrippyHippy
  • Like 4

However, when the dust settles, the fantasy rpg of choice for me, and the game system I am invested in, is the RQ rules written by Pete & Loz. This is not only because of the quality of design, which is high, but also the direction they are taking the game. I'd love to see a range of well researched Mythic titles to pick and choose (and mix?) from.

Thank you for the vote of confidence. It means a lot and Design Mechanism is going to be working doubly hard to ensure we continue the work we’ve started.

• Like 14

The Design Mechanism: Publishers of Mythras

DM logo Freeforums Icon.png

The quality of TDM material is fantastic. RQ6 brought me back to role-playing after an absence of 12+ years and I am glad to hear that Loz and Pete will be sticking around in the new Chaosium.

I can see the desire by Chaosium/Moon Design to pick up some quick nostalgia bucks, based upon the solid reputation of RQ2 and I am glad to see the kickstarter is doing so well. However, it does present a marketing challenge for the RQ6/7 material as there will effectively be 2 versions of the game currently in print. If handled badly, then it could spell a bleak future for the line. However, I have confidence in the team as there are some great people back in the Chaosium family and I think there maybe a genius of a marketing plan afoot.

Once the old portfolio of RQ2 material has been re-printed, I suspect all new material will be in the RQ6/7 format to help drive that distinction. I also suspect that there will be a free conversion booklet from RQ2 to RQ6/7 to help convert a lot of these nostalgia gamers to the new and improved version.

I am guessing the cunning plan is to sling shot the RQ2 attention towards the new version and to market the crap out of it as a serious alternative to D&D. A new Chaosium, releasing a "new" version of the highly respected Runequest 6, following the massively successful reprinting of a well loved 40 year old product, coupled with all the good will and attention that Glorantha has been generating lately ... this could all work out wonderfully for Chaosium/MD/TDM.

• Like 2

RQ2 is a classic.  But, RQ6 has benefited from years of play testing, and has been designed to deliberately address some of the problems in RQ2, like endless rounds of attack-parry exchanges.

I'll just reiterate my concern that Chaosium should not lose the RQ6 system, or tie it narrowly to a single setting, in their reorganisation.  It's current form, as a world-neutral rule book works very very well.  You just can't find this depth of game in many other places.

• Like 5

I totally agree that RQ6 is the way to go.

I have played quite a few systems in around 50 years of gaming. 

I like the flexibility of 6.

I like the combat system of 6

I am busy working on adapting to play in Hellenistic times

I do not want another system, nor will my players.

We have just changed from Legend to RQ6 and much prefer it  and it is heaps better than D&D which I have played.

BRP/CofC etc where all fine, but RQ6 bets them all by a mile.

Keep 6 as it is and promote it, it will sell.

Do not go backwards that will only lead downwards.

Your Chris

• Like 5

I agree with all of the above statements! 

As much as I love the nostalgia of RQ2, and I was also very comfortable using RQ3/ BGB for many years, the way forward is with RQ6. It managed to make the system feel interesting and fresh, and is true to the heart of the earlier editions.

IMO RQ6 is the best version so far, and one of the best games on the rpg market today.

Edited by Mankcam
  • Like 9

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"