Mythos in Space Scenarios or Campaign for 7e

AJ The Ronin

On 22 februari 2016 at 6:38 PM, kafka said:

Essentially, slow boats (STL) sent out from Earth to colonize nearby systems.  A discovery of an artifact beyond Pluto's orbit allows for FTL but not without a cost.  And, what mankind finds out beyond 50 ly radius is lots of dead worlds.  Beyond that strange aliens.  And, beyond that the unknown.  A very nice hard compact SF universe.  With lots of ruins where the Old Ones once resided.  Most of the 1920s scenarios could be retooled for this purpose but with added peril like Vacc Suit leaks and meteor storms along with countless other SF tropes.

Hmm, this sounds quite close to the worldbook Odd Soot that I'm working on at the moment. It doesn't have a connection to the Mythos though - set in the 1930s, the characters are fighting against a terrible disease driving people insane instead. Known space is a 20 lightyear radius centered on Earth, using a real star map as a starting point. And there are some strange aliens too : )

There's a preview here: 

1683589267_frostbyteloggaFsvarttiny2.jpg.22ebd7480630737e74be9c2c9ed8039f.jpg   FrostByte Books

M–SPACE   d100 Roleplaying in the Far Future

Odd Soot  Science Fiction Mystery in the 1920s

Guest Vile Traveller

The basis for the two is quite different - CR is reminiscent of Aliens, Blade Runner, that sort of gritty and apparently (but not really) realistic near-future science fiction. RoH is in a way much harder SF, while also of a wider and more speculative scope. RoH was significantly inspired by Alistair Reynolds.

In terms of mechanics, CR was very close to RQ3, while RoH is OpenQuest, so there is a large degree of compatibility on that basis, but I think it would be quite hard to mash the two together convincingly. Last I heard CR was in the queue to receive the OpenQuest treatment, but that's one Newt will have to confirm or deny all knowledge of. ;)

1930s tech is rather good for Traveller.  However, I am looking for something that would indeed capture that Aliens/Bladerunner vibe but at the same time be Hard SF.  I found RoH to be very good but it did not capture that Hard SF as much as it did the Alaister Reynolds feel.

When I say hard, I think of the Asimov robot trilogy (for its time), and much of late 60s & 1970s SF (except when Star Wars obliterated that tradition), parts of Clarke, Benford, Outcasts, or as stated 2300AD.  I like the idea of sending people out there with essentially one way tickets due to cryo-sleep never really have a life outside of being spacers going on 5-20 year "missions" and some sort of STL colonization program going on simultaneously.  So one might have sparcely populated human colonies out there.  But, space is largely barren and hostile.  Which is not to say there lots of things that cannot be explained.

Aliens or xenomorphs would be of an animal intelligence or slightly above.  However, very completely alien.  There would be ruins of precursor civilizations that could never be explained.

So, I see tech as a fusion...there is not enough hi-tech manufacturing hubs out there...that tech has to be brought in from the Core worlds.  So it is much easier to adopt lower tech standards/designs out on the colonies with an infusion of spacey tech eg Ground cars powered by fusion.  But the basic design could be very 20/20st century.

Edited by kafka

• 1 year later...