RuneQuest 2 reprint

Missiletoebass

I'm lucky enough to own a TW box set and the companion. One of my most prized RPG possessions :-)

Cheers!

Present home-port: home-brew BRP/OQ SRD variant; past ports-of-call: SB '81, RQIII '84, BGB '08, RQIV(Mythras) '12,  MW '15, and OQ '17

BGB BRP: 0 edition: 20/420; .pdf edition: 06/11/08; 1st edition: 06/13/08

On 18. marraskuuta 2015 klo 1.24.14, smiorgan said:

In contrast, I will buy the reprint with the hope of actually playing some Pavis, Borderlands and  (especially) Griffin Mountain games. I used to play Gloranthan Classics with RQ3 and (sort of) convert on the fly. Using my venerable copies of RQ2 was not appealing - too scared of them disintegrating!

The idea of a brand new sturdy hardcover to play the original adventures is very appealing! 

I like RQ6 but it's sufficiently different (and complex) that it makes the prospect of conversion unattractive.

If the conversion is about the stats - most if not all of them are available in RQ6 encounter generator. If not they are easy to do there. If you do not find them easy to do please note the missing ones and I can provide

https://notesfrompavis.wordpress.com/2014/05/13/rq6-encounter-tool-feature-recap-for-busy-gms/

https://notesfrompavis.wordpress.com/2014/12/27/return-to-griffin-mountain-and-balazar/

• Like 2

I've just finished the GM screen that will be available for RuneQuest Classic. It's two 11"x17" double-sided panels, and somewhat similar to what the Judges Guild did for RQ back in the late 70's. The player handouts, which were originally an eight page (no page numbers) pullout section in the middle of the book (useful if you had the stapled rulebook) are now 20 pages in total.

• Like 9

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

5 hours ago, Rick Meints said:

I've just finished the GM screen that will be available for RuneQuest Classic. It's two 11"x17" double-sided panels, and somewhat similar to what the Judges Guild did for RQ back in the late 70's. The player handouts, which were originally an eight page (no page numbers) pullout section in the middle of the book (useful if you had the stapled rulebook) are now 20 pages in total.

Need... to pre-order... intensifying...

• Like 3

— 
Self-discipline isnt everything; look at Pol Pot.”
—Helen Fielding, Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason

12 hours ago, Rick Meints said:

I've just finished the GM screen that will be available for RuneQuest Classic. It's two 11"x17" double-sided panels, and somewhat similar to what the Judges Guild did for RQ back in the late 70's. 

Very interesting and very appealing. I thought I might skip this offering (I own a 2nd ed. copy), but now I'm not so sure.

I remember really enjoying the JG screen you referred to. In fact, I once thought I lost mine, ordered a second and then found the first!

Cheers,

Present home-port: home-brew BRP/OQ SRD variant; past ports-of-call: SB '81, RQIII '84, BGB '08, RQIV(Mythras) '12,  MW '15, and OQ '17

On 11/19/2015, 6:48:05, Rick Meints said:

}:^D>

Pix or it didn't happen ...

That is to say:  can we have a glimpse of what the screen looks like?  Either the player-facing image(s), or the GM-facing charts (or both)?

C'es ne pas un .sig

Even though I utterly loathe the phrase "pics or it didn't happen", I did want to show what has been done. Below is a screen shot of the GM side, which is two 11x17 panels. It will be on a light golden cardstock, probably.

Screen Shot 2015-11-20 at 3.17.02 PM.png

Edited by Rick Meints
  • Like 11

Hope that Helps,

On 19/11/2015, 07:06:24, hkokko said:

If the conversion is about the stats - most if not all of them are available in RQ6 encounter generator. If not they are easy to do there. If you do not find them easy to do please note the missing ones and I can provide

Thanks! That's a wonderful resource! I've seen you have also done Gringle's Pawnshop! It would be nice to run it with updated stats...

But now I need another excuse to buy and play RuneQuest Classic!

38 minutes ago, Rick Meints said:

Even though I utterly loathe the phrase "pics or it didn't happen", I did want to show what has been done...

Awww, man!  Sorry!  Didn't mean to rain on th' parade you were (already!) bringing us with my loathly phrasing (or would that have been for CoC?); I thought the standard internet'ism was just kinda funny in this context.   But, thanks for that!

C'es ne pas un .sig

Ummmm... what about "chaosium.com" ???

Shouldn't this news be visible -- hell, prominent -- over there?  I just looked, and didn't find it anywhere.  Now, maybe that was my own inadequate search skill, but I'd think this merits front-page placement.  Or is there worry about distracting from the CoC7 launch?

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

On 11/17/2015, 8:31:54, ReignDragonSMH said:

Well a revival of Questworld was where I was going with that. Though considering open licences and such, and so many d100 games now it could be a moot point.

I would be happy, at this point, with just a reprint of the Questworld with those wonderful maps. Unfortunately my copy was destroyed long ago in the Chaos Age.

• Like 1

If it takes more than 5 minutes to understand, it's not basic.

26 minutes ago, Rick Meints said:

I was thinking that Questworld would do quite well as a single hardcover book.

For some reason, this doesn't completely appeal to me. Even with the map set as a separate entity it seems unwieldy. If that's to be the only way I would have to take it.

One thing I know that will be extremely unlikely is that none of the reprinted materials like Questworld, Pavis, Big Rubble, etc. will be in a box. Boxes are costly, easy to damage, and harder to ship. They look really cool, but they are rather impractical unless you want to pay a lot more or have very very large print runs. Questworld could be done as three separate books sold as a bundle, but they would probably be more expensive than as a single book. It's always more expensive to print three 48 page books than it is to print one 144 page book. Regardless, a larger folded map can be tucked into the back of the book.

• Like 3

Hope that Helps,

On 11/21/2015, 9:01:44, g33k said:

Ummmm... what about "chaosium.com" ???

Shouldn't this news be visible -- hell, prominent -- over there?  I just looked, and didn't find it anywhere.  Now, maybe that was my own inadequate search skill, but I'd think this merits front-page placement.  Or is there worry about distracting from the CoC7 launch?

Yep, we'll be announcing it there soon, very prominently, once we have all the right pieces in place to go. But happy to give everyone on BRP Central the inside running...

Edited by MOB
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, MOB said:

But happy to give everyone on BRP Central the inside running...

And a big thank you for that :-)

Cheers!

• Like 1

RQ2 book is ok as a tribute. the Pavis/Big Rubble should be in print as well as it is really a classic - even though I own both the original and the Gloranthan classic. The GM screen looks nice.

Quest world box (even though I own it) - never really appealed to me. I would rather have more completely new material than reprints of stuff.

There is only so much time & resources available from the indomitable Chaosium team. If you want to do republications - why not ToTRM as a pdf - that might be useful for quite many and it is quality thru and thru. Does not really need printed version - pdf would do.  

I really really would appreciate getting more completely new stuff out - I strongly appreciate the new stuff that has come already but more, more, more to expand the audience and us existing customers...

• Like 4

Reprints are an easy way of refilling the Chaosium coffers especially as so many of their fans are still playing RQ2 and want to have fresh core books to replace tattered old copies. Reprinting other material as Anniversary Editions is another chance to capitalise on all the nostalgia for the good old times of people's youth/college days. 

Redoing a book to take advantage of modern layout and style concepts is relatively costly  and Chaosium rightly limit the expenditure on things that aren't relatively short term and likely to make back any money quickly. Some material isn't available in electronic formats and so they cant even throw those things up for POD yet.

Another issue with older material is ownership/copyright. If the work for paid for by Chaosium they probably own it (depending upon contract terms) but if it was produced by someone else from several people's efforts like ToftRM then who owns what is fraught with difficulties. Contacting people who may not be in the game hobby any longer is going to be very hard and even then they may not wish their youthful writing to be out there.

Anyone who want's new material can write it and submit it to Chaosium for possible publication or offer it for free to avoid problems with IP. I'm sure that everyone who no longer has the hours to spend on producing game material due to family and career will thank you for anything you choose to offer.

• Like 2

Nigel

11 hours ago, Rick Meints said:

One thing I know that will be extremely unlikely is that none of the reprinted materials like Questworld, Pavis, Big Rubble, etc. will be in a box. Boxes are costly, easy to damage, and harder to ship. They look really cool, but they are rather impractical unless you want to pay a lot more or have very very large print runs. Questworld could be done as three separate books sold as a bundle, but they would probably be more expensive than as a single book. It's always more expensive to print three 48 page books than it is to print one 144 page book. Regardless, a larger folded map can be tucked into the back of the book.

I fully understand this and I appreciate your response. I wouldn't look for a "boxed set" of anything anymore unless it's Kellogs'. As an old fan of Chaosium I do appreciate what is happening and the effort that is going into all of this and yes, I would still like to get a copy of said material.

1 hour ago, nclarke said:

Another issue with older material is ownership/copyright. If the work for paid for by Chaosium they probably own it (depending upon contract terms) but if it was produced by someone else from several people's efforts like ToftRM then who owns what is fraught with difficulties. Contacting people who may not be in the game hobby any longer is going to be very hard and even then they may not wish their youthful writing to be out there.

This is the other Condition Rune to my hopes. The old magazines, Different Worlds, Wyrm's Footnotes, Tales, Codex, etc.., would be delightful to have again, even as PDFs but the problems there can be rough.I'd still like to make a shout out to the idea. I would definitely be in/on line to collect them.