RuneQuest 2 reprint

Missiletoebass

11 hours ago, Rick Meints said:

I was thinking that Questworld would do quite well as a single hardcover book.

I own the original Questworld box. Having bought it relatively cheap years ago. It's full of interesting, curious, sometimes great, stuff - especially the scenarios -  but it does not have the same level of quality/ consistency of the Gloranthan RQ2 releases of those years.

It's a nice to have for those who don't own the original, but I'm not going to buy a second copy in this case.

Two reprints would be higher in my list:

1) A collection of all the RQ2 solos in one big hardcover book.

2) A reprint of Worlds of Wonder. Hardcover would be fine.

In general, I look forward to Chaosium reprinting old catalogue. I don't think it will detract from its ability to put out new titles. 

• Like 2

On 22/11/2015, 15:45:51, smiorgan said:

In general, I look forward to Chaosium reprinting old catalogue. I don't think it will detract from its ability to put out new titles. 

Unless additional resources are recruited specifically to reprint old titles, then any such work absolutely will detract from Chaosium's ability to put out new titles. I imagine that Rick only has so many hours in the day for layout work.

Reprints are certainly cool. But we have to be realistic about them.

Edited by Steve
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Steve said:

Unless additional resources are recruited specifically to reprint old titles, then any such work absolutely will detract from Chaosium's ability to put out new titles. I imagine that Rick only has so many hours in the day for layout work.

Reprints are certainly cool. But we have to be realistic about them.

Sorry I was not clear.  I was referring to economic viability and its impact on Chaosium's overall ability to put out new titles in the long run, not just the layout working hours.

I think that RQ2 reprint will generate a nice cash flow for Chaosium with less risk (e.g. we know people like RQ2!) and smaller costs (e.g. in principle, no budget for new art, no authors to pay). I imagine that reprints of minor titles - as opposed to RQ2 corebook - could be PDF+POD, eliminating the risk of a print run and storage costs. 

Having this additional cash flow should help the company and improve its ability to shoulder more risky projects with the creation and distribution of new titles which require more extensive design, playtesting, editing, art budget, author compensation, storage costs... and that gamers may or may not like.  

• Like 1

On 11/23/2015, 7:57:07, Steve said:

But in terms of hours of work per dollar of return, some of their back catalog is a MUCH better bet (the the sense of ROI) than many/most "new title" options; I suspect tthis new "RQ Classic" (and a few others) will be such bets, and that they will only prioritize the "best bet" parts of the back catalog in the coming year or two, alongside a comparable number of new titles; then some other OOP titles dribbling out over the course of a few years, in conjunction with mostly-new stuff, and some of the old titles probably languishing without ever getting a single man-hour, PDF-ism, or POD offering...

C'es ne pas un .sig

The old magazines, Different Worlds, Wyrm's Footnotes, Tales, Codex, etc.., would be delightful to have again, even as PDFs

I don't know the specifics of Different Worlds and Wyrm's Footnotes, but the others you note were all fanzines, and I believe in most cases copyright to articles was retained by the original authors not Chaosium or the fanzine publisher. 

As I've just posted over on the Glorantha forum, the Kickstarter launch is this Friday (11/27) - Moon Design is bringing the iconic RuneQuest 2nd edition rulebook back into print, kicking off the celebrations for the 50th Anniversary of Glorantha in 2016!

Edited by MOB
  • Like 2

RuneQuest 2 was THE roleplaying game for me. Previously my friends and I had played AD&D, Gamma World, and Metamorphosis Alpha - but we also loved this trippy war game called White Bear & Red Moon. When we learned that there was a roleplaying game set in that universe, we snatched it up and spent the next fifteen years or so playing RQ and its progeny. When anyone says Old School Gaming, I don't think of AD&D - I think of RuneQuest 2. That's my Old School.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Jeff said:

RuneQuest 2 was THE roleplaying game for me. Previously my friends and I had played AD&D, Gamma World, and Metamorphosis Alpha - but we also loved this trippy war game called White Bear & Red Moon. When we learned that there was a roleplaying game set in that universe, we snatched it up and spent the next fifteen years or so playing RQ and its progeny. When anyone says Old School Gaming, I don't think of AD&D - I think of RuneQuest 2. That's my Old School.

RQ2 is the second RPG I ever played - strangely enough, me and my junior high gaming buddies got our hands on a little supplement called "Apple Lane" long before we saw the RuneQuest rules, and working out RQ from first principles was pretty tough, particularly as we were teenagers still rooted in the DnD paradigm (just what armour class is Gringle? is Quackjohn chaotic evil? why are there no Gelatinous Cubes in this game?). What also excited us was what we saw of Greg Stafford's game world, Glorantha. There wasn't all that much to go on in Apple Lane, but plenty of tantalising hints and glimpses. Then we got our hands on this wonderful set of rules - RuneQuest 2; luckily for us, right when the golden age of RQ2 had just begun! And now there's a chance to bring pretty much all of this material back into print (wait til you see the stretch goals) - that's pretty exciting!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jeff said:

RuneQuest 2 was THE roleplaying game for me. (...). When anyone says Old School Gaming, I don't think of AD&D - I think of RuneQuest 2. That's my Old School.

Same for me. It was even my very first rpg. And I'm not far from stil considering it today as THE rpg.

• Like 1

Wind on the Steppes, role playing among the steppe Nomads. The  running campaign and the blog

4 hours ago, Zit said:

... And I'm not far from stil considering it today as THE rpg.

Well, there's this whole "New School" of dramatist/narrativist RPGs, usually giving large amounts of "auctorial control" (via "Plot Points" or similar mechanic) to the players; they are, IMHO, a sufficiently apples-and-oranges sort of thing to not be directly comparable to the "game-world-simulationist" RPGs such as RQ; some just prefer apples to oranges, or vice versa, or it depends on their mood...  So, I don't feel the need to try to pick one kind as "better than" the other.

I wrote my gaming group about the new RQ2-reprint:

Possibly the best, cleanest, most elegant & fast-playing "simulationist" RPG mechanics...
Ever.

C'es ne pas un .sig

14 hours ago, MOB said:

As I've just posted over on the Glorantha forum, the Kickstarter launch is this Friday (11/27) - Moon Design is bringing the iconic RuneQuest 2nd edition rulebook back into print, kicking off the celebrations for the 50th Anniversary of Glorantha in 2016!

waitwaitWHAT?

I thought this was coming out under the "Chaosium" lable?  But it's MD instead?   :huh:

I mean, I realize the whole Chaosium/MoonDesign/DesignMechanism triumvirate is becoming so convoluted and intertwined as to be closer to a single entity... but... 

C'es ne pas un .sig

1 hour ago, g33k said:

waitwaitWHAT?

I thought this was coming out under the "Chaosium" lable?  But it's MD instead?   :huh:

I mean, I realize the whole Chaosium/MoonDesign/DesignMechanism triumvirate is becoming so convoluted and intertwined as to be closer to a single entity... but... 

No, this makes perfect sense. Moon Design prints the Gloranthan Classics: Cult Compendium, Borderlands & Beyond, Griffin Mountain and Pavis & Big Rubble. Those are all 2nd Edition RuneQuest. As Moon Design has been keeping the 2nd Edition flame alive all these years, they should be the ones to reprint the core book, much like how The Design Mechanism deserves to be the center of 6th of Edition.  

Edited by Baulderstone
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, g33k said:

waitwaitWHAT?

Well the book has the Chaosium Logo on it...

I raised the question about the MD vs Chaosium thing over on the G+ Glorantha group. This is what Jeff Richard said in reply:

We just want to make it very clear that in no way will this KS interfere with Chaosium's ability to fulfill Call of Cthulhu 7th E.

So it seems that this is to try to avoid the bad feeling that was created by Chaosium's last Kickstarter, the Call of Cthulhu 7th edition. Of course that was a totally different, "old" Chaosium, that screwed up that last KS, and it's a very different operation that is successfully now delivering and repairing Chaosium's reputation. So it's understandable if they try and emphasise the MD bit.