Prax and the thousand questions about the place.

Noita

On 12/7/2016 at 2:19 PM, Iskallor said:

So no night boozing in the bars of Pavis!!! No wonder folk rebelled to kick the Lunars out.

As mentioned, lock-ins are fine. Gimpy's has lock-ins all the time.

Also, some bars have tunnels that allow people to come and go unnoticed during the curfew. Many Old Pavis locations have tunnels allowing travel, from the Troll Occupation.

Kinda sucks from an adventuring point of view.

What? Adventurers who obey the curfew! They should hand in their Adventuring Membership immediately.

• Like 7

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

On 11/25/2016 at 9:28 AM, Darius West said:

The Painted Wall is the broken Praxian version of the Yelm Pantheon's "God's Wall", and existed in God Time as a record of the deities and their order before Chaos broke the world and created the Wastes.  It is located on a long cliff on the edge of Vulture Country on the edge of the Zola Fel River near Eiskolli.  There are a few "pot wells" located under rocks in the area, "known to those who know", and in good seasons, the grazing here is decent, but it is generally not a place to bring a large herd.  Visitors will find frescoes depicting dead deities there, like Genert, Splendid Yamsur, and Tada, as well the living gods of Prax, including the invaders, and other local spirits like Lightning Boy and Ronance of the hidden traditions, and even spaces where some deities who have ceased to be, have... ceased to be.  This is a dangerous place, because it is a powerful place.  Only fully initiated shamans can make a mark on the wall, and it costs them permanent POW to do so as this is stone that remembers and hoards memories.  Leaving even a hand print here will mean that the spirits will come to you, and shamans can reach you, and it costs 1POW per 10 POW you have, or fraction thereof.  Yes, you become a part of the pantheon, a minor part, a junior Daka Fal ancestor, by doing so.  Powerful Shamans and heroes will leave their marks here too, and they have more to offer any prospective shaman looking for spirit friends and patrons.  Jaldon Toothmaker is definitely depicted here, for example, as are famous Khans like Bimabwe Bigger-Than-Life, and even Pavis and Flintnail are here.  On the other hand, if you depict an entity on the wall, even yourself, it takes its place in the pantheon, and the picture becomes a way for other shamans to call upon it too.   It should be noted that when grazing in the area is often very bad and when there is no-one to defend the wall, tricksters and chaos have also made their mark, and some of the entities are bad medicine indeed.  For example Muriah has been seen in the region, as have the Cannibal Cult and the Basmoli.  This is effectively a place of pilgrimage for local shamans, and at any time there will be a few scattered around, either camped with their clan or camped on their own in a hidden hollow or cave in the wall, such as "Tada's Toes", and "Hoof of the Storm Bull".  This is not a place for junior shamans to come, for there are a great many spirits who congregate in the area hoping for and enticing others to worship them or even embody them.  This is a noisy "spirit marketplace" where the young shaman can easily become lost or worse, and for those with spirit sight it is as abuzz with activity as New Pavis at the height of the pre-Sacred Time sales period.  This creates a lot of "spirit noise" and a wise shaman will have the means to set up a protected zone and cordon out what they don't want.  It is also a place where shamans are sometimes spontaneously initiated from out of ordinary passers by who accidentally interact with initiator spirits or "Bad Ones".  Those who become possessed will sicken with a disease or run mad, most likely to die if not saved by a shaman, but those who survive the attack without possession on their own will become shamans in their own right.  It is also important to know that shamans often deal in poisons that help them gain the spirit sight for extended periods, and a good number of plants in the area have been grown there for this purpose, so careful what you eat, or your bones will join those bleaching on the plains of the wastes.

Some items on the wall are painted in historical times with real pigments by mortal hands, but what about the long-lasting 'Pre-waste' era images? The Gods' Wall lasts because it is stamped into very hard rock. Are the colours in the god-time images ingrained thought the rock? (If the face flakes off the colour is still there in the new surface?) Or does the paint protect the cliff that it is on? If so what about the unpainted spaces between the figures? 

Is the Yu-Kargzant / Hyalor Pentian pantheon on the Painted Wall as well as the Waha Praxian pantheon? Or are they too Solar to be hanging out with Genert?

Is the Painted Wall less hierarchical than the Gods' Wall? because A) it's green age not Golden Age, B ) it's been more Chaosed.

If someone tags over, (or too near) part of an image on the Painted Wall is there always spirit combat between any POW still resident in the old image and the would be painter or his would-be-image-POW? Or is there scope for some sort or deal where a big sponsor image gets a tithe of the POW in a small new non-hostile glyph and gives it house room.

20 hours ago, Byll said:

Some items on the wall are painted in historical times with real pigments by mortal hands, but what about the long-lasting 'Pre-waste' era images? The Gods' Wall lasts because it is stamped into very hard rock. Are the colors in the god-time images ingrained thought the rock? (If the face flakes off the color is still there in the new surface?) Or does the paint protect the cliff that it is on? If so what about the unpainted spaces between the figures? 

Some of the images are no doubt carved onto the surface and filled in with pigment.  Later additions are more likely to be pigment alone, but a shaman may well decide to spend time carving and pigmenting the image of a favored entity. No doubt the shamans are also quite well disposed to performing running repairs on any damaged images they know, or reporting such damage to an allied shaman with investment in that entity.  As to weathering from sun and dust, well, neither Yelm nor Stormbull is enamored of destroying the site as it would reduce their power, and the lesser entities have even more reason to protect it. As Stormbull winds come out of the East, the cliff is sheltered from them, and as Yelm sets in the west, only weakened rays strike the face of it. On the other hand, many of the images are very old indeed.  It is however a "broken" wall, and there is the impression that the shamans are struggling to maintain a damaged tradition.  

As to the spaces between figures, well, that is where new heroes, spirits and ancestors will be included, and if their power grows, they may gain more prominent representations.  Others like Ronance who was a Green Age big shot in the area are now looking worn.  The wall is a little like a "top 100 pop chart" for the Hidden Traditions (i.e. Shamaic traditions) of Prax, in that there is a slow adoption of the useful new and a simultaneous but slow discarding of the less useful old.  So perhaps a top 100 pop chart that plays out over human generations and centuries rather than a weekly update. :)

I actually quite like your ideas Byll and my comments are obviously only suggestions based on the way I have GMed shamans in the past. Obviously YGMustV so use whatever you feel offers the best explanation for what you have already established.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Iskallor said:

Byll you can describe the Painted Wall when you lot arrive at it.

Lol, planning a holiday are you?  Definitely book in with Thurkan Clubfoot at the Lokarnos temple.  For a small donation he can arrange Sun County Travel papers and even get you booked into accommodation at Eiskolli which is the closest "major" settlement near the Painted Wall.  Shamans can also make their own travel arrangements through the intercession of the Larnste spirit subcult of Trivago Wheelpincher. :)

Also remember how hard it is to get bookings at this time of year, and try to complete your arrangements in advance.  I would definitely not consider a trip out there except in Sea Season.  Fire Season is out of the question and may actually get dangerous, not to mention that Eiskolli's accommodation is booked solid around the Yelmalio high holy day, but you might be lucky if everyone has gone to the Sun Dome to celebrate.

Merry Sacred Time.

Edited by Darius West
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
13 hours ago, Iskallor said:

The Bison Tribe's rune is Air. Those strong in it, can they fly? Do they fly?

How would they use this rune?

Most of the tribes are associated with a rune, that manifests itself with a tendency for the people of that tribe to have it as a dominant elemental rune, here's my current working spread:

Element Rune Spread of the Tribes

Impala

High Llama

Sable 

Bison

Morokanth

The Empty

M

F

M

F

M

F

M

F

M

F

Storm

Earth

Fire

Darkness

Water

Moon

check row

The above are percentages, the empty are 1% of the population and then the Rune spread is applied to the remainder.

The dominant Rune then affects cult membership and in turn rune abilities. As you can see, the men of the Bison tribe are the strongest by far in the Storm Rune. As to flying, undoubtably some can.

• Like 1

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

On 2016-11-08 at 4:33 PM, Darius West said:

4) Are you aware of the "Eye of Wakboth" conspiracy theory by Michael  Raaterova published in Questlines 2 ?

I'm flattered that someone would actually reference something i wrote. *Enjoying the ego boost high*

EDIT: in case some wonders, i took my wife's surname when we married. 

Best,

Mikael

Edited by mikkling
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Iskallor said:

With or without their Bison?

Of course some fly with their bison, that's too good not to be true. They are likely to be Storm or Wind Khans. 

• Like 1

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

5 minutes ago, Iskallor said:

Can Rhino braves strong in the Earth Rune burrow under ground....With their Rhinos?

I don't see why not. I can see them being half buried, on a ramp so they can charge up and out like a tank. Note that the rhino spread is 

Element Rune Spread of the Rhino    
The Empty    1    
    M    F
Storm    10    2
Earth    86    94
Fire    1    1
Darkness    1    1
Water    1    1
Moon    1    1
check row    100    100

its these kind of questions that HeroQuest caters for - yes but...

• Like 1

-----

On 1/16/2017 at 2:57 AM, mikkling said:

I'm flattered that someone would actually reference something i wrote. *Enjoying the ego boost high*

EDIT: in case some wonders, i took my wife's surname when we married. 

Best,

Mikael

I really enjoyed your Questlines article, and the reasoning that went into it.  You wove a series of anomalous information about Pavis into a wonderfully paranoid cloth, and I have always liked running high intrigue/conspiracy scenarios.  Kudos.

• Like 1

On 1/15/2017 at 8:58 PM, Iskallor said:

Can Rhino braves strong in the Earth Rune burrow under ground....With their Rhinos?

Now, that's an ambush!

None of this hiding beneath a mat and jumping out at an enemy, instead a caravan ambles past when a host of rhinos charge up and at them from a couple of yards.

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

11 hours ago, soltakss said:

Now, that's an ambush!

None of this hiding beneath a mat and jumping out at an enemy, instead a caravan ambles past when a host of rhinos charge up and at them from a couple of yards.

I am not sure that rhinos, even Praxian rhinos are really evolved for burrowing behavior.  I would suggest that using gnomes to dig pits and disguise them is an alternative method of ambush, assuming that the earth rune isn't primarily used for keeping people and animals fed.

3 hours ago, Darius West said:

I am not sure that rhinos, even Praxian rhinos are really evolved for burrowing behavior.  I would suggest that using gnomes to dig pits and disguise them is an alternative method of ambush, assuming that the earth rune isn't primarily used for keeping people and animals fed.

This isn't about the rhinos themselves, it's about the primary rune of the tribe and the uses that members strong in it can make of it. Doubtless the Rhino shaman have access to Earth spirits for this kind of work:

(Earth) Waha's Spade. Example taboo - only wash in dirt.

or use their Earth affinity "to have the Earth open up" as per use of the Rune (Full rune affinity listing HQG p148)

Finally, those khans who have completed the Task of Waha and Ernalda, have use of her Sacred Axe and Earth Elementals that were use to dig the Good Canal. Initiates who did this for their Initiation Task will also have access to these.

• Like 2

-----

On 1/16/2017 at 8:46 PM, Mark Mohrfield said:

David Scott: Have you worked out the rune spread for the minor tribes?

Element Rune Spread of the Minor Tribes excluding Baboon & Basmoli

Agimori

Rhino

Ostrich

Unicorn

Bolo Lizard 

Zebra

Pol Joni

The Empty

M

F

M

F

M

F

M

F

M

F

M

F

M

F

Storm

Earth

Fire

Darkness

Water

Moon

check row

• Like 2

-----