Prax and the thousand questions about the place.

Noita

16 hours ago, David Scott said:

I don't think so. Reading the lay member section in the sample cult on page 6:

They can't belong as they'd violate the spell prohibitions.

But (adding emphasis):

Among the peoples of Prax it is assumed that all people are Lay members of the cult if they live with the tribe, for each person benefits from the goddess' gifts and worships her for it. 

This is explicitly clear.  "tribe members are lay members."

They benefit from the Goddess on a daily basis.  It would be excessively citified and un-Praxian -- almost lawyerly! -- to try weaseling this around to a sideways "join at the beginning of each service, and quit right after."  That may work for outsiders visiting briefly -- and work well, for them! -- but (as noted) the quoted rule is for the tribesmen who gain (daily, life-long) benefit from the Goddess. 

Membership is "just" an assumption, so we also "assume" that there are well-known exceptions.  But "virtually all the men of each tribe" is hardly an "exceptional" case!

There is a clear discrepancy in the rules (to quote @Jon Hunter : "shock horror") .  It is, however, trivially-easy to HR, and causes essentially zero impact on RQ-in-play or Glorantha-in-play.  So really not a problem!

One could assume that Eiritha's Lay Members who are Initiates or higher in any Affiliated Cult are allowed to follow the spell-prohibitions for that Cult instead; this provides good incentive for young braves who are only Laity of Waha to advance quickly in their devotion!  This explicitly violates the rule stating that Lay Members abide by those rules... but I think that's OK.

One could allow tribe-members in other Cults to join per-ceremony (not giving up their magic for the duration) and resign immediately thereafter.  This does seem to violate the spell-knowledge rule, for the hour or the night or for however long the ceremony lasts; and having all the male tribe-members NOT be Eiritha Lay-Members does explicitly violate the assumption quoted above... but again, it's OK.  YGMV.

One could Heroquest for some other solution.  This is, I think, the Most Gloranthan way to do it, and would certainly make Your Glorantha be more Yours.  "Waha and the Devil's Rules-Lawyer" would be the quest, I think... ;)   Maybe it's one of the ways the Braves can Initiate... 

ANY way you do it:  problem solved.

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

On 25/11/2016 at 10:39 AM, David Scott said:

That's a fair comment. It's huge size leads me to believe that it was once a wall in Genert's Palace. It's current location is due to the reassembly of the broken parts of the Wastes as Waha's net was down tight - lots of places aren't in their original place. The markings on it are cryptic and the collected stories of the Wastes - Myths of what the gods did in the Great Darkness, Tasks of Waha, all kinds of magical inscriptions. It could be viewed as a kind of grimoire of the Wastes - you need to be good to decypher the hard bits. Shaman come here to learn new knowledge from the spirits - stuff like how to find the Horned Man, and learn the Soul Winds. It could contain almost any plot hook you want. One of the things it does contain is the name of Genert's daughter who was never allowed to be the land goddess of what is now the Wastes. Ultimately it's a giant wall of stuff that most couldn't be bothered to decypher, unless you are a shaman, sorceror, priest, God Learner, Lunar explorer, etc. Access to the Wall is difficult as it's on the steep valley side leading up to Vultures Country.

"contain is the name of Genert's daughter who was never allowed to be the land goddess of what is now the Wastes" is posible to find her and learn her knowledge?

3 hours ago, kalidor said:

"contain is the name of Genert's daughter who was never allowed to be the land goddess of what is now the Wastes" is posible to find her and learn her knowledge?

Of course, but that's a whole adventure for you to expand on yourself. Currently my thinking is that Samastina brings the name when she goes to the Paps with Argrath and Jaldon before Pavis is liberated.

• Like 2

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

On 26/10/2016 at 1:57 PM, David Scott said:

hmm

More likely. As you probably realise this isn't my full time job, but a sideline. Family, real job, other games job (I'm a writer for Wotan Games currently working on War of the Nine Realms, a Norse theme board game) make it a slow process. Much is also exploration of Praxian culture, Greg didn't create a fully formed environment and Sandy just added to the chaos:-) Lots of stuff was never really thought about in any depth either. Lots of fan spinoff stuff didn't use the core references as their basis (Nomad Gods, Cults of Prax) and some of the official publications went off in a direction that wasn't really what Greg's vision was (Nomad Gods 2, Drastic Prax).

The main thing I'm working on at the moment is Praxian History. What we have at the moment is basically histories of the invaders - Pavis, Sun County, Lunars, but none of what the Praxians did. I'm doing this by mapping the geography, and other features of the Wastes and looking at population numbers. Mapping the Wastes has taken a lot of my time up. They are based on the historical maps in the Guide that my friend Lawrence Keogh produced, I'm doing them in Illustrator like him so the maps are easily scalable, and file size is manageable. It's been worth it as it has produced some really great insights into the early years of the Covenant (check out my Praxian Histories post). Stuff like why the pro-lunar Sables are based at Moonbroth becomes obvious - they're not based at Moonbroth - Moonbroth is within the Sable Tribe's ancestral grazing - the Good Place. I've also started to integrate the history of the Most Respected Elders at the Paps in to this so it produces a coherent history.

Is Tada's greisly portions profecy canon? where can i find it?

2 hours ago, kalidor said:

is canon? where did you get the info?

Nah with the name I'm just being silly, but it shall be so in my game now and I have read previously people suggesting that Tada could have been Genert's son in Law. Remember that Tada could be a number of people using the same title over the years, an amalgamation of myths and stories etc. For example an earlier version of Waha even. 

1 hour ago, kalidor said:

Hi, is posible to recruit Cooper Warriors or Wanderers Rangers? will they be spirits? If it is posible, is a Heroquest imperative?

My players have become the Wandering Rangers and have an Earth Knight as their guardian spirit.

Heroquests have taken place.

Edited by Iskallor

On 02/02/2017 at 9:06 AM, kalidor said:

Hi, is posible to recruit Cooper Warriors or Wanderers Rangers? will they be spirits? If it is posible, is a Heroquest imperative?

The Copper Warriors became the Copper Sands. It's not inconceivable that a HeroQuest could return some. I think it would be like the Ray Harryhausen Dynamation style Jason and the argonauts, instead of teeth it would be a small bag of Copper Sand poured out. Don't forget the Copper Sands are important in bringing back Genert as the Copper Warriors were actually part of him.

• Like 3

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

I don't think the area is taboo, just really inhospitable. No one goes there for any sane reason. It's just hot wind-blown copper sand. The taboo is the metal working one. Praxians are not allowed to make metal - smelt, purify it etc. They can fix stuff they've stolen/traded for with repair or other spirit magic, just not get it from source. This keeps them interacting with outsiders - raiding and trading. I'm sure a few shaman have a pouch of the sand and have Earth spirits in it.

• Like 1

-----

10 hours ago, kalidor said:

are the gold wheel dancers guardians inside the giant cradle? are they tied to the movement/change rune?

There is only one Gold Wheel Dancer in the Cradle: Pinchining.  He was 'awoken' in the Underworld when Urrgh the Ugly prayed to his golden coin there, and is the first of his race to reappear since the birth of Nysalor.  As the Guide notes: They were demigods, variously described as a golden circle, a flaming wheel, or a silver dancer surrounded by a fiery golden halo.

From the Glorantha Sourcebook, they held the Fire position on the original Unity Council.  Since they were able to change their form, I believe they are associated with the Movement/Change rune too (but haven't found a confirming text).  

29 minutes ago, D said:

How common is  Yara Aranis worship among the tribes Prax?

We had the Moon Daughter Society of northern Prax that defended against Pentians and occasionally raided Pentians. They allow Balls of Tails to be made from horse tails. They worship Yara Aranis in her Horse Eater aspect.

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

31 minutes ago, Pentallion said:

A question from one of my players:  Can a Praxian who worships Waha also be a Trickster?  She's thinking of having a Morokanth trickster.  Her argument is that the Trickster is how they cheated the humans.

Sure, why not?

Waha worship is the life of Prax, so every adult male "should" worship Waha. However, individuals could belong to a Sacred Society that has other modes of worship, or allows for the worship of minor Heroes or Demigods through Spirit Cults. One of these could be a Trickster deity. Alternatively, you could be a lone trickster, not tied to a Sacred Society, perhaps like the Contraries of the Great Plains tribes. 

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

3 hours ago, Pentallion said:

A question from one of my players:  Can a Praxian who worships Waha also be a Trickster?  She's thinking of having a Morokanth trickster.  Her argument is that the Trickster is how they cheated the humans.

It is worth noting that the Morokanth (culturally) do not believe that they cheated. 

Her beliefs are an entirely appropriate thing for a Trickster to believe, of course, but they will not endear her to her tribe-mates :-)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Pentallion said:

Anythings possible, though there's no Trickster god in Prax, but there are nature spirits who can fill that niche. Jackrabbit for example. I don't think that the Morokanth see that they cheated either.  As the Morokanths have the Darkness rune, following Raven is an easy step.

I Have Waha initiates who also follow Raven and they cause no end of trouble and hi-jinxs. The poster D, above, being one of the culprits.

The question about Yara Aranis has worried me greatly :D

Edited by Iskallor
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Iskallor said:

I Have Waha initiates who also follow Raven and they cause no end of trouble and hi-jinxs. The poster D, above, being one of the culprits.

The question about Yara Aranis has worried me greatly :D

I was just curious to see if she she could be worshipped by nomads for her anti horse magic, but her connection to the Red Goddess might be an issue :)

13 hours ago, D said:

How common is  Yara Aranis worship among the tribes Prax?

She's not worshipped by any Praxians except PCs. She's a lunar demigod specifically created to deal with their horse nomad problems. She doesn't arrive in Prax until after 1610, and then only in her reaching moon aspect. That ends with dragonrise. It's not inconceivable that a lunarised sable would worship her, but she offers no real advantage to a Praxian unless as Simon implies, on the northern boarder. 

• Like 1

-----