RQ Classic Edition: will you play it or it's just for reading?

smiorgan

Will you play RQ classic edition?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Will you play the RQ2 reprint (aka RQ classic edition)?

• No, it's just for historical research/ nostalgia/ social prestige/ reading in the bathroom
    • Yes, I'm already planning a campaign/ I've never stopped playing RQ2

I already have two copies of the GW version of RQ2, so I obviously haven't really backed the crowdfunding campaign to get "a new role-playing game that I might run". My hope is that, thanks to the KS, RQ2 will become more popular at cons.

• Like 1

I answered no to the survey, but probably will run a one-off and would love to play it. Ever since the mid 90s my house system for Glorantha has been the Elric game system with RQ3 Magic. RQ6 is the first system that might pull me away from that once CRQ comes out.

Edited by simonh

Check out the Runequest Glorantha Wiki for RQ links and resources. Any updates or contributions welcome!

9 hours ago, bripi said:

Probably won't play it - only backing for nostalgia.

My heart is with RQ6...

I hope I will have enough time to play BOTH RQ2 and RQ6 ... a man can dream...:)

They both have their own distinctive charm. To make an analogy, supercar fanatics can rave about the latest LaFerrari hybrid monster and still be in awe of the austere beauty and brutal power of the 1987 Ferrari F40.

• Like 1

I Think it is great, that they are doing the classic reprint. When RQ2 went out of print, It took me decades, before i found a copy of the 2nd edition runequest. I bought it on ebay, after searching local hobby stores, and trying to track down copies. Chaosiums Runequest 2 will always have a place in my heart.  Some just love  RQ2 and nothing will change that. RQ2 was the second RPG i played and i fell in love with the system. I loved it so much that all my game worlds(post apocalypse, space, wild west,etc) all used the RQ2 system , and there was little if any tweaking needed.  Really the only things i added for those game worlds was weapons, armor, equipment,  mutations, and stuff specific to those game worlds. I never needed to add any new rules, to the system.  I know some think RQ2 only works well as a fantasy rpg, but reality is it works just as well for any setting.  I think it is a good move by Chaosium, i think it will add some revenue, the company really needs. By reprinting the classic RQ2, Chaosium really shows how much they appreciates their fans and customers. :)

Edited by skull
  • Like 2

Have played all versions of RQ. (except RQ6, but hopefully that is coming) But when I run a game of RQ it has been RQ2 (Most of the time). I think of RQ2 as rules medium. Not rules light (Original Basic Roleplaying, small book), not to rules heavy (BGB which I use for unusual circumstances my players always seem to tie themselves up into :angry:)

It was the second RPG I ever played and I love it. I was thrilled to hear of the reprint. And I have supported the Kickstarter, even though I have multiple copies of RQ2 (6 copies, but after 25 years they are getting kind of ragged and brittle), RQ3 and BGB. At least 1 copy of the others rules versions. Almost all of the Modules, rules and supplements from Chaosium, Avalon Hill, and Mongoose. Magazines I have the White Dwarf and Different Worlds copies that deal with RQ2 and some of the Wyrms Footnotes. What I don't have but hope will be reprinted some day are RQ Adventures, Tales of the Reaching Moon and Trade Talk magazines. (Although some might not be because they were not cannon I think, but am not sure.) What can I say, I am an RQ2 Fan. And NOW My Players Can Buy Their Own Copies! :lol:

Edited by Ethereal
  • Like 3

I plan to play it (emphatically so!).

I already have one of the "Gloranthan Classics" (Griffin Mountain) & plan to get at least a couple more (and may get the 4th just for anal-retentive completionism), plus the unlocked "Apple Lane" & "Snakepipe Hollow" and maybe other stuff.  I'm gonna play as much of the collected RQ2 Goodness as my group will tolerate, in all that.

We also play other games, and we tend to vote on "next system / next gaming arc" -- usually switching up relatively often, sometimes because a GM says "Got this great idea I want to run..." sometimes because GM-burnout forces another person to run, sometimes because one player advocates strongly for a particular game-world or genre, etc etc etc.

• Like 2

C'es ne pas un .sig

1 hour ago, tedopon said:

My understanding from the Kickstarter's verbiage regarding the stretch goals is that the "unlocking" is only the promise that they will later reprint the old supplements at a later date. Is this correct? 

That's part of it, but you can buy PDFs of those supplements as add-ons in the Kickstarter when they unlock. 

1 hour ago, tedopon said:

My understanding from the Kickstarter's verbiage regarding the stretch goals is that the "unlocking" is only the promise that they will later reprint the old supplements at a later date. Is this correct? 

Partly. As it stands all backers getting PDFs will also get Fangs, Apple Lane, and Snakepipe Hollow as a free PDF. All backers will be able to buy Runemasters, Plunder, and the RQ Companion as a PDF except the very top tiers (High Priest, Rune-Priest Lord) who get all unlocked PDF goals for free.

In 2016 Chaosium are to print the unlocked goals, and then we all have the chance to buy them. At that stage I imagine they're no longer part of the Kickstarter process.

IT'S A SIN, IT'S A SIN, THIS MUST BE PLAYED!!!!! I mean even as an interlude to an existing campaign to run Apple Lane, or if you can't have friends for some reason at LEAST try the solo adventures!!! Orlanth will strike you down for such blasphemy!!!

Edited by Carcosa
  • Like 2