What is the status of RQ6 Glorantha?

Happy

With the RQ2 Kickstarter going well, how are Loz and Pete coming along with RQ6 Glorantha ruleset? I don't see any news on the designmechanism website since the GenCon stuff, so hoping that they or Jeff or Rick can give us some idea of how it goes.

20 hours ago, Happy said:

Thanks Rick. If possible to share, do you know if the rules will stillbe based on the adventures in Glorantha release done for GenCon?

Based on the panel at THE KRAKEN my understanding is "similar to" rather than "based on".

4 hours ago, GianniVacca said:

Based on the panel at THE KRAKEN my understanding is "similar to" rather than "based on".

Thanks GianniVacca.

So does that mean that Adventures in Glorantha will be overwritten? I would like to start my RQ6 game and picked a copy up, but don't want to change verything when the new version comes out!

3 hours ago, nDervish said:

My understanding is that it will be neither "similar to" nor "based on" AiG, but rather "essentially identical to RQ6", based on this post from Loz:

"RuneQuest stays using RQ6's mechanics.... Tweaks, obviously, for Gloranthan specifics but we're not rewriting anything. We're too lazy, for one thing."

Thank you nDervish! Does Loz come on here to post ever? I'd love to hear more from horses mouth. :D

Edited by Happy

I would appreciate some clarification on to what extent the RQ6 rules are to be used in the new RuneQuest release next year. Liz et al have given the impression that a lot is being ported over, such as the character creation approach, combat rules, and approach to skills, with new/tweaked features being magic systems.  Jeff today said at Dragonmeet that the game would be very like the old RQ2 in substance - if it ain't broke, don't fix it, where his words.  

This does beg the question of how much is being lost in the 'port' beyond campaign and setting creation advice/tools.

I hope someone can clarify and reassure me.

Clearly, "what I like" is awesome, and a well-considered, educated opinion. While "what other people like" is stupid, and just a bunch of made up gobbledygoook. - zomben

Victor of the "I Bought, We Won"

8 minutes ago, Baragei said:

It seems the status of RQ6 Glorantha, and RQ6 in general is anything but good right now..

http://designmechanism.freeforums.org/important-announcement-future-of-rq6-t1393.html

Actually, I see this as a good thing for the RQ6 system overall. We were about to lose the core book that all TDM products relied on. I've been hoping that TDM would put out their own core book under a new name to keep the system intact. 

I'd still like to see the Glorantha book come out for RQ6, but I'd rather have the overall system be healthy if it means losing one setting. Given that TDM originally had Chaosium's blessing to put it out, it would look bad for the new management to bury the hard work that Pete did and that RQ6 fans were waiting for. 

Whatever happens, I'm glad to see that TDM is going to be able to move forward on their own.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Baragei said:

It seems the status of RQ6 Glorantha, and RQ6 in general is anything but good right now..

http://designmechanism.freeforums.org/important-announcement-future-of-rq6-t1393.html

Selfishly, that sounds like good news to me as well... at least in regards to TDM and keeping RQ6 (whatever it will be called) as a setting-free hub. Not that I'm ecstatic over Chaosium's choices... which seem to be even more disavowing of the BGB/BRP.

1 hour ago, Baragei said:

I think that this is horrible decision on the part of Chaosium. Why would they want to split the RQ fanbase yet again?

Now I could see Chaosium opting to use the Call of Cthulhu 7th edition rules as its base for BRP and the new re-Glorantha-ized RQ (even though it's not as good a system as RQ6, and has been somewhat controversial amongst longtime CoC players). That would at least 'unify' all their RPGs under one system. But what they're doing instead is baffling.

I will continue, of course, to play and support RQ6. And while I prefer a setting-neutral version of RQ6, I regret that RQ6 will not enjoy the additional exposure and distribution that it would have had it been part of Chaosium's line.

As for Chaosium's "new" version of RQ: I have zero interest in it now. 

Edited by Akrasia
  • Like 3

It does make the current RQ 2 Kickstarter seem a little odd. When the plan was to come out with an RQ6-based version next year, I could see the logic in giving people a chance to get a look at RQ2. Now, however, it seems they are currently selling a cleaned up version of RQ2 this year, and plan to sell and even more cleaned up version to us again next year. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Akrasia said:

Now I could see Chaosium opting to use the Call of Cthulhu 7th edition rules as its base for BRP and the new re-Glorantha-ized RQ (even though it's not as good a system as RQ6, and has been somewhat controversial amongst longtime CoC players). That would at least 'unify' all their RPGs under one system. But what they're doing instead is baffling.

I feared that Chaosium would take that approach after the release of 7e - because, selfishly, I believe it's the worst edition of CoC, and one of the worst representations of the BRP system. But instead, they don't seem to be making any attempt at unification, leaving each known property as its own entity. Which I consider to be a little weird. Both variants of BRP are quite different - and you'd expect that they'd want to have a similar framework or mechanical starting-point for their game lines to share, to cross-pollinate new gamers between their lines - but perhaps that's what they want: to highlight the differences?

Perhaps - again selfishly - when the time comes due for CoC 8e, they'll round-file 7e and re-align CoC along the "New"-RQ2 framework.

43 minutes ago, Baulderstone said:

It does make the current RQ 2 Kickstarter seem a little odd. When the plan was to come out with an RQ6-based version next year, I could see the logic in giving people a chance to get a look at RQ2. Now, however, it seems they are currently selling a cleaned up version of RQ2 this year, and plan to sell and even more cleaned up version to us again next year. 

Agreed. It puts a RQ2 Kickstarter backer - like myself - in an odd situation. I'm already shelling out cash for the classic RQ2; will the "New"-RQ2 be worth it for me to purchase and use instead of classic? Is classic meant to appeal to the crusty grognard-collectors, and NRQ2 marketed towards a newer and younger fan-base? What's my motivation - or an older-gamer, or Kickstarter backer's motivation - to purchase NRQ2?

Personally, I find RQ6 to be serviceable, much like its predecessor, MRQ2. But, I don't find it any more advanced/modern/innovative than any other RQ or BRP version that's been released over the years, and not essential to my enjoyment of Glorantha. I'm glad that the Design Mechanism can continue on with their rebranded system and produce excellent-quality supplements.

Edited by K Peterson
Spelling errors
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, K Peterson said:

Personally, I find RQ6 to be serviceable, much like its predecessor, MRQ2. But, I don't find it any more advanced/modern/innovative than any other RQ or BRP version that's been released over the years...

You don't find the combat system, and specifically its use of "special effects," innovative?

Personally, I find RQ6's combat system to be decisively superior to all others.  (Not that I want a detailed combat system in all of my games, e.g. CoC, but if I do want one, RQ6 wins hands down.)

• Like 3

Well I see this as a step back in many regards.

I liked RQ2 back in the day, and am happy to support the kickstarter, but I was under the impression this was for nostalgia purposes. I kinda feel a almost betrayed now. I thought that RQ6 rules were going to be the base for the new system, well at least the fantasy system. To go back to RQ2 as the core system seems like an unusual thing to do, and I jumped off that boat back in my late teens.

The new CoC 7E looks great, but I just feel that the skill structure from RQ6 works better for me. To base the new BRP on CoC 7E would have been logical, although not the best solution, but to base it off RQ2 is a very unusual decision, and I am quite disappointed by it, and almost feel the same sense of dismay that many felt when they saw MW being shelved. 

Considering I was backing the RQ2 Classic edition for nostalgia purposes, this feels almost a betrayal in a sense that I thought the funds would further the HeroQuest and RQ6 lines. I think I may reduce my pledge just to have the standard hardcover now, solely to have a print version of the old rules. There's not much point if the rules are going to be reprinted for RQ Glorantha anyway

I will support Chaosium for it's Glorantha products purely for the content - I was already doing this with HeroQuest. I would prefer that Gloranthan content is now produced with no game stats whatsoever, leaving it up to us to choose which system to play it in. Perhaps pdfs of game stats could be bought as optional extras.

I won't be using RQ2 for Glorantha, or a system based on CoC 7E, I will continue with RQ6 or whatever Design Mechanism comes up with, as their rules just work better for me.

This is a big disappointment for me.

Edited by Mankcam
  • Like 3

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

1 hour ago, Baulderstone said:

Personally I am very disappointed that :

a) Chaosium RQ won't use RQ6

b) BRP won't benefit from the developments from RQ6 (IMHO RQ6 is better than RQ3 which is better than RQ2)

c) Chaosium's decision will further split BRP

d) RQ6 will lose the RuneQuest name

On top if it, the RQ2 kickstarter becomes quite strange and awkward to me. I don't have any need or real desire for the reprint of RQ2 but pledged anyway based on nostalgia but above all to show support to Moon Design. Now I'm pledging for an old game that will 6 months later be republishing in a new format and simply cannot support the latest decision made by Chaosium. Before I saw the news today I was considering adding to my pledge to get the unlocked books but now I need to decide if I won't just withdraw my pledge altogether. I will take a few days before I decide and will probably decide to keep my support even though this KS doesn't make much sense for me anymore.

So far I made no big deal of all the quick changes made at Chaosium because I assumed they where simply trying to get a better understanding of the hand they had being dealt. This last reversal makes me believe they are truly embracing their namesake and manage through randomness and chaos.

The only silver lining is that Pete and Loz will retain control of their work.

• Like 4

Today at Dragonmeet, Jeff didn't say that the new Chaosium Runequest would just be a cleaned-up RQ2. There are a lot of "Chinese whispers" going on here, which is not an unusual thing on the web, of course. Jeff only said a couple of sentences about the new CRQ and all hell has broken loose in some quarters. What Jeff said is that the new CRQ would be built on top of RQ2 but including 30 years of improvements that have been learned over that time. He didn't go into detail, but it doesn't seem impossible to me that some of those improvements might be RQ6 things.

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, Akrasia said:

You don't find the combat system, and specifically its use of "special effects," innovative?

Personally, I find RQ6's combat system to be decisively superior to all others.  (Not that I want a detailed combat system in all of my games, e.g. CoC, but if I do want one, RQ6 wins hands down.)

I'll retract that part of my comments. By pure dictionary definition, it is innovative.

But, "decisively superior"? Nope, not for me. It holds some advantages (which you clearly appreciate), and it has some disadvantages; it's just another game mechanic that has well-designed features and design flaws, in my opinion. Much like other combat rule innovations that have come out since RQ1/2.

Edited by K Peterson
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, DreadDomain said:

I don't have any need or real desire for the reprint of RQ2 but pledged anyway based on nostalgia but above all to show support to Moon Design. Now I'm pledging for an old game that will 6 months later be republishing in a new format and simply cannot support the latest decision made by Chaosium.

This.

46 minutes ago, Steve said:

What Jeff said is that the new CRQ would be built on top of RQ2 but including 30 years of improvements that have been learned over that time. He didn't go into detail, but it doesn't seem impossible to me that some of those improvements might be RQ6 things.

It doesn't sound that way on the Design Mechanism forums. It would be great if it did.

If Chaosium can bring out a cleaned up set of simplified BRP rules that could segway into RQ6, then that could work for me as a base system. It would need to have at least a similar skill structure to RQ6. 

But if its RQ2 written as is, then that's a nostalgic step backwards unfortunately, and that's how it appears at present. 

Edited by Mankcam

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

15 minutes ago, Steve said:

There are a lot of "Chinese whispers" going on here, which is not an unusual thing on the web, of course. Jeff only said a couple of sentences about the new CRQ and all hell has broken loose in some quarters.

I hope Chaosium/Moon Design come forward on these forums and clarify things. They've expressed a desire to engage with their customers more openly than the last Chaosium regime, and it seems more prudent to make these comments on Chaosium's "official forums" rather than at conventions, which can fire up the rumor mill if some of the facts get clouded.

• Like 5