The Magic Book

tooley1chris

Yes. And this thread is not really out of place. The book may come from Runequest rules, it is a book for the BRP system.

"This book presents three new ways for BRP players to conceive of magic: spirit, divine, and wizardly." is written in the introduction.

So, even if it first was rules for Runequest, it is now intended to be new optional magic rules for all users of the BRP system Big Golden Book. That is why I bought it - even if I didn't used it yet.

Edited by Gollum
  • Like 3

The problem with the RAW in the magic book is not that POW points are burned to learn divine magic spells, it is that an initiate needs to have 10 points of remaining divine magic spells to become a priest. It means that no initiate will use divine magic.

In addition the fact that divine magic spells are one-use for the initiates make them less useful than enchantments (described in the chapter for ritual magic)

A solution for the first problem is to change the requirements for becoming priest from having 10 points of available divine magic to having sacrificed for 10 points of divine magic.

A solution for the second problem is given in the file http://talmeta.net/runequest/house/beyke/beyke.pdf

section 6.4.2 page 13

Granted I'm a little subjective about the whole topic but, could someone explain to me why the great disagreement with POW pt. expenditure for Divine/Rune Magic. Each spell is another Pact made with the divinity who is supporting the magic and Pacts take POW.  Without some stipulations that require effort, there would be an over abundance of RuneLevels everywhere.  Now, I'm ready to listen.

If it takes more than 5 minutes to understand, it's not basic.

3 hours ago, charlesvajr said:

Granted I'm a little subjective about the whole topic but, could someone explain to me why the great disagreement with POW pt. expenditure for Divine/Rune Magic. Each spell is another Pact made with the divinity who is supporting the magic and Pacts take POW.  Without some stipulations that require effort, there would be an over abundance of RuneLevels everywhere.  Now, I'm ready to listen.

For many, its not the POW (characteristic, not points) expenditure, its that for those that are not priests, this type of magic (or if you will Divine Miracle) is only of single use. After, a non-Priestly character must go back to a temple and sacrifice another point of POW to regain the spell.

In the games I was in, POW fluctuations were such that I never saw this as an issue, until my character was in the middle of Pamaltella with no temples around.

SDLeary

6 hours ago, SDLeary said:

For many, its not the POW (characteristic, not points) expenditure, its that for those that are not priests, this type of magic (or if you will Divine Miracle) is only of single use. After, a non-Priestly character must go back to a temple and sacrifice another point of POW to regain the spell.

In the games I was in, POW fluctuations were such that I never saw this as an issue, until my character was in the middle of Pamaltella with no temples around.

SDLeary

I'm still not seeing the problem with the mechanic though. That's part of how it's played. Having been stuck in Snake Pipe Hollow with a steadily dwindling supply of Rune Magic and stored POW pts. can be a slightly disturbing issue but that's knowing when to get out and live to fight another day.

Are most players interested in endless supplies of magic to complement a more aggressive and less dangerous gaming style?  My players are the masters of the combined Disruption casting. They use that tactic regularly to defeat larger creatures. A good idea that also nets, usually, a POW increase roll and another chance to have more magic available. This makes magic more plentiful and to easy to gather if it's endless.

If it takes more than 5 minutes to understand, it's not basic.

7 hours ago, charlesvajr said:

I'm still not seeing the problem with the mechanic though. That's part of how it's played. Having been stuck in Snake Pipe Hollow with a steadily dwindling supply of Rune Magic and stored POW pts. can be a slightly disturbing issue but that's knowing when to get out and live to fight another day.

Are most players interested in endless supplies of magic to complement a more aggressive and less dangerous gaming style?  My players are the masters of the combined Disruption casting. They use that tactic regularly to defeat larger creatures. A good idea that also nets, usually, a POW increase roll and another chance to have more magic available. This makes magic more plentiful and to easy to gather if it's endless.

I think that is probably the case, yes. Many like the game, but it is a bit deadly if you try to do things in a DnD fashion. Us old guard folks normally came to it right from DnD, and were very very happy that powerful magic was there to mitigate TPKs. I never really thought about that when playing though, and have a nice string of offed characters! :D

SDLeary