Gloranthan Sourcebook?

g33k

So, I've heard of "13th Age in Glorantha" (and applaud it, but the d20 family is not my mechanic of choice), and apparently there's also this thing called "The Gloranthan Sourcebook" -- all setting, no significant game-mechanics.  So, Heroquest rules, any BRP variant, etc.  Heck even a "Fate" engine, or "Glorantha Powered by the Apocalypse".

Whatever...  I think it's AMAZINGLY cool that Glorantha has so many live, active gamesystems driving play in that world, and I'd surely applaud more (e.g. the "joking" references above).  My own system-of-choice is BRP, and probably (courtesy of the fully-funded-and-still-Stretching Kickstarter) RQ2/RQC; but whatever, YMMV & more power to ya if it does!

HOWEVER...  I'm having a hard time tracking down any hard data on this "Sourcebook:" thingamajig.  There's a (very cursory!) outline on the KS page.  There doesn't seem to be ANYTHING about it on the 13AiG website(!), or MoonDesign.

Have I just rolled a "00" on my Skill:Google?

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

I think you are looking for the "Guide to Glorantha", which is the behemoth, system-less setting reference available through Moon Design (currently PDF only, but they will be doing hard copies again some time next year). I just picked it up and am about a 1/3 of the way through the 800 pages and it is good stuff.

Nope, those are separate products!

GtG is a standalone KS project; well-documented on MoonDesign & other sites, extensively discussed here on BRPCentral, YouTube'd, RPG.net'ed, etc...  I missed out on the Kickstarter and the initial print-run, but I'm planning on getting one of the new sets.

GS is a part of the 13AiG KickStarter; see:  https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/416625372/13th-age-in-glorantha/description   and scroll 3-4 pages down.  That has as much info as I've been able to find...

Edited by g33k
clarified the "visibility" of GtG.

C'es ne pas un .sig

The Glorantha Sourcebook, or GSB as we often call it, has Jeff Richard as its main author. It is a book about Glorantha that is systemless. It is heavy on myths and stories. It is designed for newcomers, as an entry point to roleplaying in Glorantha. It was created originally for the 13th Age in Glorantha Kickstarter. Jeff can comment on how close it is to completion, but it is fairly close to being done. It is targeted to be 128 pages in length. It is definitely not to be confused with the Guide to Glorantha. It is also not just a cut down version the Guide. If you looked up the 13th Age in Glorantha Kickstarter there is more information as to the contents and purpose of this book.

• Like 2

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

3 hours ago, g33k said:

So, I've heard of "13th Age in Glorantha" (and applaud it, but the d20 family is not my mechanic of choice), and apparently there's also this thing called "The Gloranthan Sourcebook" -- all setting, no significant game-mechanics.  So, Heroquest rules, any BRP variant, etc.  Heck even a "Fate" engine, or "Glorantha Powered by the Apocalypse".

Whatever...  I think it's AMAZINGLY cool that Glorantha has so many live, active gamesystems driving play in that world, and I'd surely applaud more (e.g. the "joking" references above).  My own system-of-choice is BRP, and probably (courtesy of the fully-funded-and-still-Stretching Kickstarter) RQ2/RQC; but whatever, YMMV & more power to ya if it does!

I think it's because Glorantha existed in Greg's mind before any of the games existed. Any rule system you apply to Glorantha is probably going to fall short of capturing the full "reality" of it. I think both HeroQuest and RuneQuest are great games for Glorantha, but they both are very different in how they represent it. Any Gloranthan game I run involves deliberating on which system best captures what parts of Glorantha I want in the campaign. 

I have to say I am intrigued to hear that the Gloranthan Sourcebook isn't just a cut down guide. At the time of the Kickstarter, I assumed it was going to be a version of the guide that was more practical to keep in print over the long haul. Of course, I had no idea that the Guide would actually be seeing a second printing either. :) 

Just to add that the timeline for the Glorantha Sourcebook moves things on compared to the recent (Moon Design) Glorantha publications, so it should have plenty to interest Glorantha fans. I might be recalling incorrectly, but I seem to remember 1627 being mentioned?

Is there any sense of a RL publication/availability timeline, yet?  "Late 2016," for example, or  "22nd of January, 2017 at 3:55:22PM GMT, +/- 17 seconds"?

And what about distribution/availability (for those not part of the Kickstarter)?  Is it a "1-run & done" book (as-planned so far), or is it planned to go "into print" with new printings as stock runs out?  Somewhere in between? e.g... "wait-and-see-what-the-demand-is," or "1-run, PDF thereafter, POD to fulfill latecomers' needs"?  Will it wholesale through distribution channels onto FLGS shelves, or mostly be special-order only?

Still hoping for a bit more info about content/etc... might a Table of Contents be available, for example?

Also -- of course! -- I'm perfectly happy with a link/pointer, if this info is already available and I've just not found it; and, of course, some or all of this may simply not be available yet.

Edited by g33k

C'es ne pas un .sig

Very few things, if anything, are a "one run and done" situation. If it is in sufficient enough demand, we will take the prudent business approach and keep selling it. Maybe not at the same price, or in the same format, but technology is such that hardly anything has to go out of print any more.

High enough volume books, which are what we will be focusing on, will go through distribution and be available in game stores. If enough stores want to stock it, we will provide it.

As for the Gloranthan Sourcebook, it is a 2016 product. Second half of 2016 product.

• Like 5

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

• 4 months later...

OK, necro'ing my own question, with my own answer...

http://www.glorantha.com/some-teases-on-the-glorantha-source-book/

Lots of good detail there... and (from the byline date) was out for over a year before I last asked.  Dunno why my prior Google-fu failed so utterly, but found it so trivially easily this time, but there ya go!

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

16 hours ago, g33k said:

Dunno why my prior Google-fu failed so utterly, but found it so trivially easily this time, but there ya go!

98 last time and 01 this time, maybe?

• Like 2

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here