Is there any chance of Design Mechanism doing Stormbringer?

smiorgan

A question for Loz,

Now that the fortunes of TDM and Chaosium are separated and The Game Soon to be Formerly Known as RQ6 will walk alone...

WILL YOU ASK MICHAEL MOORCOCK TO DO STORMBRINGER?

Will you? 

Please. Pretty, please?

The French Mournblade game - of which MM is quite pleased - is good evidence that the man is not turned against licensing to RPGs. And that he is not asking a fortune in royalties (the French  market likes Stormbringer, but I seriously doubt Sombres Projets is making huge money!)

I am currently running an Elric game with the RQ6 engine and MRQ2 Elric rules. It's just the beginning but it's quite fun.

MRQ2 Elric rules are pretty good. Just marred by the abysmal editing, layout and art standards of Mongoose. And they're not standalone.

BTW, the French stole a lot from MRQ2 Elric for their Mournblade game!

A standalone RQ6 Stormbringer book would seriously rock. Maybe a deal can be made with Sombres Projets to use their art and stuff. In return they could use some TDM materials like adventures etc.

Do it! Please.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Baulderstone said:

Loz just said over in the TDM forum that they aren't looking to license anything at the moment, so it seems unlikely. It would be nice for the excellent MRQ II Elric rules to get a final TDM polish though.

That's understandable. Licenses are a lot of additional hassle and don't guarantee commercial success (except the very expensive ones!).

They probably have enough non-licensed settings in store to produce books for the next few years.

4 hours ago, smiorgan said:

That's understandable. Licenses are a lot of additional hassle and don't guarantee commercial success (except the very expensive ones!).

They probably have enough non-licensed settings in store to produce books for the next few years.

Yeah, they are not wanting for ideas at the moment. 

In that age of being able to keep games for sale as PDF and POD, I think licensed products are an even worse deal. TDM can keep Monster Island alive as a digital product forever, bringing in stray sales here and there. Licensed products have a shelf life though. Chaosium is doing a good job of getting its back catalog out again, but so much of is lost to them. Stormbringer, Ringworld and ElfQuest are just lost investments in time for the company. 

Yeah, I have been considering running the MGII Stormbringer (also Lankhmar) using RQ6, but it would be cool to see DM update the rules for the new RQ. I own the core RQII Stormbringer books as well as some pdfs, and back in the day I owned Chaosiums Stormbringer which left me with many great memories.

Loz and I have talked about this before as well. Not putting words in his mouth, but I he believes that the IP costs wouldn't be worth the investment. 

I can only but agree. However I'm sure Loz will be around at some point to clarify!

Marcus

Stormbringer! - Exploring the worlds of the Eternal Champion at http://www.stormbringerrpg.com

Unbound Publishing - Bringing back the fear - http://www.unboundbook.org

DCtRPG.info - Supporting Dark Conspiracy across the decades - http://www.darkconspiracytherpg.com