BRP After the Vampire Wars

smiorgan

10 hours ago, rsanford said:

Actually I got a strong True Blood vibe when I read it. The fact that the supernatural had just come into the open, the existence of the fae and Magic rules akin to whichcraft just reinforced that notion. At the worst it would be very easy to run a true blood type game with ATVW.

Very much so, True Blood was also a major inspiration for ATVW.

• Like 1

On 1/2/2016 at 7:30 AM, jsnead said:

I specifically designed After the Vampire Wars as an urban fantasy setting which included Seers & Enlightened Sorcerers & Alchemists (from Enlightened Magic), as well as vampires (with new rules for old powerful vampires), three sorts of sort of shape-shifters, psychics, fae, and half-fae (and everything but the fae are possible options for PCs.)

I own Liber Ka for Nephilim. How different is Enlightened Magic from Liber Ka? Is it a straight conversion from Nephilim to BRP?

8 hours ago, smiorgan said:

I own Liber Ka for Nephilim. How different is Enlightened Magic from Liber Ka? Is it a straight conversion from Nephilim to BRP?

Enlightened Magic uses 4 elements (Air, Earth, Fire, & Water), the sorcery rules are also slightly changed to be more elegant and functional.  In addition, EM contains a significantly modified (and at least from my PoV improved) version of the unpublished Alchemy rules I wrote for Nephilim, also converted to 4 elements.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/15/2016 at 2:44 PM, Kruvil said:

Looks like After the Vampire Wars is available in print now

So that's the 'new hotness' version with improved art? Or is it the 'old and busted' one that was briefly for sale before they took it down?

I wanna make sure I buy the right one.

Edited by Simlasa

I'll definitely pick this up if a pdf/book becomes available. 

In the interest of constructive criticism, Chaosium could be doing better on their Internet presence. I on their email list, I follow their G+ Community, and I am a regular here at their official forum. You would think I would have gotten some kind of notification about an official release. And the question about a PDF release has been sitting here since Thursday with no response. I don't expect instant 24/7 customer support, but it would be nice if questions like that could be fielded at least within a day or two. 

I'm not trying to be a jerk about it. I'm not really angry or anything. I just would hate for this book to slip through the cracks unnoticed.

• Like 1

Yeah at a minimum it probably makes sense to announce it on rpg.net, therpgsite, BRP Central and G+ communities. Heck I woul probably encourage a couple of the people that playtested the rules or otherwise bought a book to put up a review or start a thread on rpg.net.

• Like 1

Check out our homebrew rules for freeform magic in BRP ->

No reason for Ars Magica players to have all the fun!

20 hours ago, Baulderstone said:

I don't expect instant 24/7 customer support, but it would be nice if questions like that could be fielded at least within a day or two.

That's the kind of stuff Ben Monroe was pretty good about. He kept up an affable online presence as the face of Magic World across various forums and social media...

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, RosenMcStern said:

Rick has answered questions about AtVW on these boards lately. He tries hard to provide a proactive customer service, just give him the time to check every place.

Yeah, I am not expecting Rick to spend all his time on the forums here.It just seems odd that a new book would appear in their store without any mention.

Just to add on to the review I already posted, what I liked most about this book is how you could use the setting to do role-playing about current social issues. Characters might be veterans of the Vampire Wars and be dealing with post-traumatic stress or residual anger toward their opponents... whom they may now have to work with. They might be dealing with discrimination against fey or harassment by the police. They could be dealing with corruption in high places by an elder vampire or a monitor highly placed in the government. 

That won't appeal to everybody, but if that's not your cup of tea, you could also use it to do straight investigations or just kill a whole bunch of peeps. There's no requirement that you explore current issues, but it's there if you want to go down that road.

3 hours ago, Rick Meints said:

As I said, we intend to redo the book. While that has been happening we found a small box of the first printing while doing inventory and decided to sell them. This isn't a "stealth" launch. It's moving some stock.

Oh... OK, that was my original assumption... that what's up for sale at the moment is the original, not the re-worked version. I think I'll hold off then, if the rules are going to be the same and it's just graphical improvements.

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, Charlie D. said:

Looks like After the Vampire Wars will be returning for Mythras. Can't wait for the new version.

Me either.  I have the original version but I imagine The Design Mechanism will clean it up and illustrate it nicely. I will buy a copy when its ready. John Snead if you are reading this will the content be exactly the same as the original book or something different?

• Like 1

Check out our homebrew rules for freeform magic in BRP ->

No reason for Ars Magica players to have all the fun!