How sad am I ?

Agentorange

Last night ( in fact about 1.5 hours ago ) I had a dream about BRP I'd gone into a games store and on the shelves were supplements giving official conversion notes for most major RPG's into BRP  so..: MERP/Rolemaster, D'n'D, Traveller. Mechanics, creatures, spells the whole works. I was leafing through them thinking " thank god I've got my credit card here "  and then I woke up.

And what was  worse I couldn't remember any of the conversion details :-) What a sad muppet.

Edited by Agentorange
typo
  • Like 5

I've had lots of dreams over the years that take place in a dreamworld version of the city I lived in. They feature lots of odd places that don't exist... including toy stores and game stores. I could kindasorta map out where things were onto the real town and knew that a couple of the places were stand-ins for places I frequented... but there was one dream toy shop in an area I seldom went to and assumed was purely imaginary.

Then one day, I passing that area and had a flat tire. So I got towed to a garage (no spare) and while I was waiting for it to be fixed I walked around the neighborhood and ran into a place that was nearly the exact image from my dream. A huge toy/game shop called Imagination Unlimited.

The only thing was, it had just recently closed and the stock been sold off. The shelves inside were bare but there was still signage that let me know it would have been a treasure trove... if only I'd found it earlier.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, tooley1chris said:

Eh. If EVERYBODY played BRP based games we wouldn't have anyone to look down on. :)

We'll always have people that play Monopoly. ;)

I have a dream game store in my head as well. The location is in a shopping center in a city where I went to high school. It's odd as there were four game stores in the city in various places that I went to, yet no game store was ever in the shopping center in my dreams.

The nature of the store varies. Sometimes its an amazing place full of old games and supplements that I have been hunting for many years (even if I never heard of them before the dream began). Other times it might a depressingly empty, picked-over store with only the most mainstream options available. Dreams about the store often involve the journey there, which frequently can involve getting sidetracked. I only reach the store about half the time. Once I am at the shopping center, it can become a confusing maze of other shopping places both real and imagined. Longer journeys to the store seem to correspond with better stuff when I get there. 

Edited by Baulderstone
  • Like 2

Thinking further, my first gaming purchase ever was actually somewhat dreamlike in retrospect. I lived in Kuwait for three years as a child due to a job my father had. In the summer of '83, I was given a copy of the D&D Basic Set as gift. I was completely blown away by the whole concept. 

That fall, I was with a friend at a bedouin souk (marketplace)  that had set up for the day in empty, sandy lot. There spread out on an Arabian rug, next to ornate brass coffee pots, jewelry, digital watches, hookahs, and battered telephones, was a copy of Dragon #45. There were no gaming stores in Kuwait, so it was the first RPG supplemental material I had ever seen. I haggled the guy down to 1 Dinar (about $1.00,  my obvious glee on finding it gave me a substantial penalty on my bartering skill check) and rushed home to read it. 

To make this story BRP-relevant, an ad for Boxed Runequest in the issue was first awareness of Chaosium. It was first awareness that any RPGs at all beyond the boxed set I owned at I started to full realize what I was getting into with this gaming thing. 

Edited by Baulderstone
  • Like 2

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2015 at 4:21 PM, tooley1chris said:

Eh. If EVERYBODY played BRP based games we wouldn't have anyone to look down on. :)

I don't look down on people that don't play BRP related games..... I may pity them and their empty meaningless lives, but I don't look down on them  :-)

Edited by Agentorange
  • Like 5

There was an actual book a long time ago featuring conversion tables for at least a dozen of the then-current systems. It was obscure and the conversions were not very accurate, but it existed.

Wizards of the Coast was almost sunk before they got started in what would turn out to be an ironic twist. Their first RPG book was The Primal Order, a book about gods and deities, and it features conversion notes for most of the popular systems at the time. Needless to say, Palladium sued them. Somehow they managed to absorb TSR, gained the rights to the D&D franchise, and the rest is history,