The Sorcerers of Orathorn

Noita

36 minutes ago, EricW said:

Given the "Night of Horrors" involved many worlds, couldn't the Sorcerers of Orathorn simply be one of the other world horrors which washed up in Gloranthan reality, and somehow never left?

This is an interesting point, but the simple answer (within the lore) must be no, because you can't travel back in time in Glorantha.  There was a brief period where Chaosium flirted with the idea of time travel, but then they realized what a rod for their own backs they had made and quietly shelved the idea.

The Sorcerers are around in 1100 ST.  For them to generate the Night of Horrors, they would have to be sent back in time to live in Orathorn, only to then get trapped in a time loop of their own construction that they would be quite aware of.  This is an odd time-loop as it also allows them to progress after the Night of Horrors and be in Orathorn in 1625.  How you do that when time travel is lore impossible, well, can you see why it needs a different answer?

40 minutes ago, Joerg said:

While I think that both sides' magicians in the Night of Horrors would not shy away from sending Chaos against their enemies, my own interpretation of the event was that the spectacular over-use of magic on both sides caused reality to collapse and offer access to things not of this world. A similar thing occurred in the (final) battle between Yomili and Halwal in the Tanier Valley.

Yeah, good point.  The parallels are obvious now you mention it.  I had completely forgotten about them. 😀

• Like 2