BRP "Magic" system

I suspect I might be able to find this if I dig deep enough, but am basically wanting to avoid several hours of digging. I've seen where those with Edition-zero are saying that the "Magic" system (as opposed to "Sorcery") is close to the old "Magic World" system. I assume this means each spell is it's own skill.

I'm curious if they've added the RQ 'Sorcery' skills for increasing range,duration, etc. I never played with the RQ Sorcery but from what I could see it looked like like it might well slow things down with book keeping. It also looked like beginning "Magic" user would be very weak, due to having to split a starting skill points rather widely. Also, each additional roll of the dice increases the odds of something going wrong.

Can someone explain (in small words please :P) whether "Magic" is closer to "Magic World" or "RQ Sorcery"?

Thanks,

Grey

At Play in the Fields of the Fnord

Excellent... now, next question.. is there a system to permit you to extend durations, expand area of effect, and other "Meta-Magic" options?

Also, I found the "Magic World" system very functional, but found the spells a bit too broad in scope in many cases. A slighter larger selection of spells than in the original "Magic World" set would be welcomed too. Specifically Demon summoning and Undead creation. If not already created, the system is so intuitive it should be easy to create and add.

My thanks again,

Grey

At Play in the Fields of the Fnord

Excellent... now, next question.. is there a system to permit you to extend durations, expand area of effect, and other "Meta-Magic" options?

Yes - basically you can add more levels to a spell and for spells where it makes sense, those additional levels can be applied to different aspects of the spell. So a level 6 change spell could last 15 minutes and affect one SIZ 18 individual, OR affect TWO SIZ 9 individuals (six levels of it's basic effect, split between two targets) OR one SIZ 9 target but for a duration of one hour (3 levels of basic effect last 15 minutes, and three levels of additional duration).

Also, I found the "Magic World" system very functional, but found the spells a bit too broad in scope in many cases. A slighter larger selection of spells than in the original "Magic World" set would be welcomed too. Specifically Demon summoning and Undead creation. If not already created, the system is so intuitive it should be easy to create and add.

The spell list is virtually unchanged from Magic World, but there is a Conjure Elemental spell, and as you say, it would be very easy to improvise additional spells.

I'm also hopeful that an early supplement for BRP will be some sort of "magic system anthology" based on the RQIII Magic Book but also including material from the Bronze Grimoire, Nephilim, Liber Ka, Land of Ninja and some new ones...

Cheers,

Nick

No. It's the system from MW, cleaned up and altered slightly, revised for balance.

Also, I found the "Magic World" system very functional, but found the spells a bit too broad in scope in many cases.

That was actually the reason that system was picked - the broadness and ease of use.

A slighter larger selection of spells than in the original "Magic World" set would be welcomed too. Specifically Demon summoning and Undead creation.

Those are easily added on, based on Sorcery spells or created from whole cloth.

If not already created, the system is so intuitive it should be easy to create and add.

I hope that players and GMs do plenty of such creation.

I'm also hopeful that an early supplement for BRP will be some sort of "magic system anthology" based on the RQIII Magic Book but also including material from the Bronze Grimoire, Nephilim, Liber Ka, Land of Ninja and some new ones...

Indeed!

I keep begging someone to propose it to Chaosium and write it!

"The Big Book of Magic" would be an essential sourcebook for BRP occult and fantasy games.

Hmmm, I am writing something similar at present. It will become available for comments next week after the EU people are back from Tentacles.

The problem is that it is all about Glorantha. And the big G is officially off limits for BRP. So I see no chance of proposing it to Chaosium.

So strip out the Glorantha stuff. Never played RQ there much anyway :D

Hmmm, I am writing something similar at present. It will become available for comments next week after the EU people are back from Tentacles.

The problem is that it is all about Glorantha. And the big G is officially off limits for BRP. So I see no chance of proposing it to Chaosium.

But will it need conversion to be used for BRP in Glorantha, or can it be used as is?

SGL.

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

But will it need conversion to be used for BRP in Glorantha, or can it be used as is?

Why are you assuming that it is aimed at a different system? :P

In truth, it is multi-system - a true d100 system. But you'll be allowed to comment freely after you are back from Tentacles. Say hi to Simon & Loz on my behalf.

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

In truth, it is multi-system - a true d100 system. But you'll be allowed to comment freely after you are back from Tentacles. Say hi to Simon & Loz on my behalf.

Are you not going? I thought you were running a game there.

I really must move forward with my plan to drain the Atlantic Ocean, making it easier to get to Europe from here. Tentacles sounds like great fun.

Help kill a Trollkin here.

Hey Trif, calm down. No need to hurry. How was Tentacles? Did you lose SAN for watching Charlie Krank doing a barbecue? And what exactly was the meat? :D

:focus:

Ok, I am posting a link to the discussion group in a separate thread. There is no content so far, but you can join it while I post all the juicy stuff.

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM