New Balazar Fan Site

Jon Hunter

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, TRose said:

As for the Broo in the Elder wilds.. Would there not be a number of dog and pig Broo since since dogs are common and there are domesticated .and almost certainly wild pigs.

Maybe,

I've placed the broos mainly in the Elder Wilds and not in Balazar proper, so I looked for dominant animals of the Elder Wilds not Balazar for broo stock

My thinking is that the pact of brotherhood between man and dog in Balazar keeps them much safer than other animals, To my mind there are very few wild dogs in Balazar.

Also broos rarely seem to cross breed with predators of any kind.

I did give a nod to the dog possibility with noting hyenas in Broo stock showing the different fate of dogs protected by humans and a similar wild species.

As regarding pigs I see them as a a domesticated animal in the citadels; and not one that is common in Elder Wilds.

These are opinions but this is the logic behind my thoughts.

Cheers

Jon

Edited by Jon Hunter

On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 1:39 AM, Jon Hunter said:

2 hours ago, Jon Hunter said:

Maybe,

I've placed the broos mainly in the Elder Wilds and not in Balazar proper, so iIlooked for dominant animals of the elder wilds not balazar for broo stock

My thinking is that the pact of brotherhood between man and dog in Balazar keeps them much safer than other animals, To my mind there are very few wild dogs in Balazar.

Also broos rarely seem to cross breed with predators of any kind.

I did give a nod to the dog possibility with noting hyenas in Broo stock showing the different fate of dogs protected by humans and a similar wild species.

As regarding pigs I see them as a a domesticated animal in the citadels; and not one that is common in Elder Wilds.

These are opinions but this is the logic behind mine my thoughts.

Cheers

Jon

was Looking at the fact both Pigs and dogs go wild very easy.  You are right that the pact between man and dogs might protect dogs  to an extent .But pigs have no such protection and wild hogs might even be native to the elder wilds . Pigs that have escaped and gone wild  have become  major nuisance in parts of the USA I know. Wild Razerbacks are not something you want to meet on a hike.

11 minutes ago, TRose said:

was Looking at the fact both Pigs and dogs go wild very easy.  You are right that the pact between man and dogs might protect dogs  to an extent .But pigs have no such protection and wild hogs might even be native to the elder wilds . Pigs that have escaped and gone wild  have become  major nuisance in parts of the USA I know. Wild Razerbacks are not something you want to meet on a hike.

If it floats your boat go for it, I would not rule out pigs. I placed wild boars in the Elder Wilds, I just don't see them as easy breeding stock for the broo, so didn't put them on my most common list,

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Jon:

i looked around your Griffin Mountain redux and I gotta say, I really like what you've done with the place! I especially like your NPC's. Well done and thanks for sharing your wonderful new take on this venerable campaign setting.

Cheers and good gaming.

Rod Robertson.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Jon Hunter: 

I really like the giants and twisted pseudo-giants which you have created. You have very interesting ideas and a gift for creativity. Your creations have depth and nuance which makes them both fascinating and attractive - even the most twisted, corrupted or reprehensible ones! Thank you for sharing these wonders of your imagination. They make an old RuneQuest junkie pine for the halcyon days when he played and refereed in Balazar, the Elder Wilds and Garsting so very long ago. Well done, sir.

Cheers and good gaming.

Rod Robertson.

Cheers Rod,

Sometime writing and playing about with ideas gives you insight. You get into what you imagine to be somethings head and you start to understand it. I hadn't thought much of giants about this, but right now I have a feeling that Giants are just lonely. Due to there size, food requirements, long life span, ties to the disorder rune, grumpy behavoir and minimal numbers thy spend a lot of time alone.

Hopefully that sense of isolation comes out in the write ups. It will when i'm playing giants as npc's now, befriend a giant and you have a friend for life, a grumpy, angry, troublesome difficult friend who may want to eat you, but a friend never the less. 

Also chaos and corruption is the horror element of the Glorantha setting, if you are not able to create some elements of sympathy for what has been corrupted it looses the impact. Corruption what was always of evil isn't horror, corruption of what was good and then the ongoing consequences can be truly disturbing.

I think Rasalun is a lot more disturbing a character than Annis as he has a sympathetic edge to him.

In both however maybe art reflects and magnifies areas of life more than i'm comfortable with.

Thanks again for the kind words.

Jon

Edited by Jon Hunter

New family history events mechanic for WOD:Glorantha,with 

http://www.backtobalazar.com/significant-family-events/

Its different than the system coming out for CRQ4 for the following reasons;

• It's player choice driven not dice driven
  • It allows a look at less epic events which are significant to chacarters
  • It allows for much more variation
  • It allows players to build significant clan history
  • It keeps the player at the center of character creation Ideas and concept

Also related is character connections which is used to tie a gaming group together

http://www.backtobalazar.com/character-connections/

Edited by Jon Hunter
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, jajagappa said:

It's a nice set, though personally I enjoy adding in the random factor and how it creates events you weren't expecting.

Random fits with RQ ( I love the idea i'm less sure about mechanic), but doesn't fit the storyteller system.

One of the things that runs through the storyteller mechanic is playing the character you want to play. 

Random dice roles to determine passion and beliefs can really screw a characters concept at the last stage.

However we do need to tie a character to both the Glorantha history and their culture. 

1 hour ago, Jon Hunter said:

Random fits with RQ ( I love the idea i'm less sure about mechanic), but doesn't fit the storyteller system.

I use random bits with HQG these days so don't have issue with applying in a narrative/storytelling setting, but I agree that I'd never use it to override character concept/beliefs.  For me it's about the impact of that event vs. how my character as conceived reacts to that.

• 2 months later...

OK after too long another addition to the site, its the WOD:Glorantha base rune magic mechanic, a lot of influence from what has been discussed regarding the new RQ rune magic rules, which are major positive innovations imho. So much kudos to Jeff there. 

http://www.backtobalazar.com/wod-glorantha-rune-magic/

Hopefully not the same wait till next time.

Edited by Jon Hunter

5 hours ago, Darius West said:

This is a well developed site with plenty to pick over. It is interesting that you opted for a White Wolf system game over the more traditional systems.  How has that worked out?

On the most part really well, its what the gaming group had always used, and meant I only had to introduce Glorantha and not the system.  If id know the amount of work needed at that starts maybe id of taken a different approach.

Whats has absolutely worked is the use of runes to boost and manipulate magic, it is something i would miss if I went to HQ or Runequest. However lots of work needed to make cults and runemagic really work.

• Like 1