Has anyone done a BRP Wound System?

steamcraft

I am doing a hybrid: general HP and a wound system for body parts if damage of a given hit exceeds a Toughness threshold. 

Tough x 1 = wound

Tough x 1.5 = mortal/fatal wound

So individual body parts do not have hit points.

But I am sure someone has done a pure wound system, I am just not aware of any.

Its 2300hrs, do you know where your super dreadnoughts are?

http://reigndragonpressblog.blogspot.com/

Guest Vile Traveller

I briefly flirted with introducing the Delta Force wounds system to RQ3 back in the 80s. The whole hit point and location sub-system can be easily separated from RuneQuest, but you need a replacement that will cope with fantastic monsters and spirits.

On the fly...

Major Wound (or toughness I guess) = (Con + Siz)/2

Armor is a die roll (ala Magic World/Stormbringer) that reduces damage.

Damage that makes it thru is matched against Major Wound Value...

Under value means that the character is Bruised and Battered, -15 or increase difficulty one grade to physical skills. It still hurts!

Equal or greater than value, but less than double value; make Con roll (or Endurance, or Toughness, or whatever) to remain conscious. -30 or increase difficulty two grades for physical skills if conscious. Character should be out of fight, but may continue if desired, all skills are at half. If weapon hit was a special and can cause bleeding, additional Con roll required each round or fall unconscious; if bleeding is not treated, bleeds out and dies after a number of rounds equal to Siz (or Con, Str+Con, or whatever).

Equal or greater than twice value; Con roll -20 or Hard Con roll to remain conscious. Major damage, internal or otherwise. Notable bleeding, though could be internal. Character dies at the end of a number of rounds equal to half Siz.

SDLeary

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SDLeary said:

On the fly...

Major Wound (or toughness I guess) = (Con + Siz)/2

Armor is a die roll (ala Magic World/Stormbringer) that reduces damage.

Damage that makes it thru is matched against Major Wound Value...

Under value means that the character is Bruised and Battered, -15 or increase difficulty one grade to physical skills. It still hurts!

Equal or greater than value, but less than double value; make Con roll (or Endurance, or Toughness, or whatever) to remain conscious. -30 or increase difficulty two grades for physical skills if conscious. Character should be out of fight, but may continue if desired, all skills are at half. If weapon hit was a special and can cause bleeding, additional Con roll required each round or fall unconscious; if bleeding is not treated, bleeds out and dies after a number of rounds equal to Siz (or Con, Str+Con, or whatever).

Equal or greater than twice value; Con roll -20 or Hard Con roll to remain conscious. Major damage, internal or otherwise. Notable bleeding, though could be internal. Character dies at the end of a number of rounds equal to half Siz.

SDLeary

Interesting take on how to do things.  Any other ideas that people have developed and used?

8 hours ago, steamcraft said:

I looked at RQ6 essentials before and it had hit points.  No idea about the main rules of if there are options.  If there is, I would like to see a description. 

You're right, rq6 has location hit points. But there are no general HP. When using hit locations, at some time, you have to know the resistance of each of then.

Revolution D100 (at least the draft) is using toughness as well. Damage is compared to toughness and the wound can be minor, major or lethal, some associated effects comparable to SDLeary's suggestions.

There was also a thread (I think it was on this forum) where it was question of damage vs. location hp (or toughness, whatever you call it) resistance roll to determinate the wound.

Wind on the Steppes, role playing among the steppe Nomads. The  running campaign and the blog

Yes, Revolution D100 does not use hit points but has a system that works more or less like that SDLeary described. The only difference is that if you aim specifically at a wounded location the points of damage you do in excess of the toughness threshold accumulate until you reach lethal wound level, so there is a residual form of HP in the fact that you keep track of a numeric value once a character receives a major wound but is not down.

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

13 hours ago, TrippyHippy said:

On the basis of looking at the character sheet, the Spanish Medieval RPG, Aquelarre looks like it's replaced HP with Health levels.

Actually, Aquelarre does use hit points.

Grając zaś w grę komputerową, być może zdarzyło się wam zapragnąć zejść z wyznaczonej przez autorów ścieżki i, miast zabić smoka i ożenić się z księżniczką, zabić księżniczkę i ożenić się ze smokiem.

I made a wound system for a BRP related game of mine. It works with wound thresholds. Death Wounds are equal to HP, Major wounds are HP/2 or more, medium wounds between HP/4 and a major wound, light wounds is all damage below HP/4. Al PCs have 5 light wounds, 3 medium, 2 major, and 1 death. Each medium wound applies a -10% penalty and each mayor wound a -20%, all cumulative. When receiving damage and the appropriate wound level is full then the effects go to the next higher wound level.

Check my Lobo Blanco - Elric RPG (now in english!)

4 hours ago, el_octogono said:

I made a wound system for a BRP related game of mine. It works with wound thresholds. Death Wounds are equal to HP, Major wounds are HP/2 or more, medium wounds between HP/4 and a major wound, light wounds is all damage below HP/4. Al PCs have 5 light wounds, 3 medium, 2 major, and 1 death. Each medium wound applies a -10% penalty and each mayor wound a -20%, all cumulative. When receiving damage and the appropriate wound level is full then the effects go to the next higher wound level.

Interesting.  How has play worked out for this?  What genre are you using it with? 

It worked pretty well. Low hp wounds are less lethal because, considering an average of 12HP, you can receive up to five 3p wounds without consequence. I used it with fantasy, sci-fi and a low powered supers game. Big creatures should have more light wounds to prevent 1hp wounds bringing them down fast, one additional light wound per 5 SIZ above 15, if I remember correctly. That is the only "patch" I made. I used no hit locations BTW but wound levels help interpretation.

Edited by el_octogono

Check my Lobo Blanco - Elric RPG (now in english!)

On 1/11/2016 at 10:49 PM, Vile said:

I briefly flirted with introducing the Delta Force wounds system to RQ3 back in the 80s. The whole hit point and location sub-system can be easily separated from RuneQuest, but you need a replacement that will cope with fantastic monsters and spirits.

I am curious as to what the Delta Force wounds system is, i don't suppose you might share the name of the book? :)

37 minutes ago, Aini said:

I am curious as to what the Delta Force wounds system is, i don't suppose you might share the name of the book? :)

I believe they are talking about the system from the game Delta Force published back in the 80s by Task Force Games.

Guest Vile Traveller
9 hours ago, Montjoy said:

I believe they are talking about the system from the game Delta Force published back in the 80s by Task Force Games.

Yes, that's the one. Very interesting combat system and not much else.

I was thinking about doing this based on Star Wars D6 or Mutants & Masterminds / True20, or possibly modeled on RQ6 Fatigue levels.  One possible version, off the top of my head:

1. All living (or differently alive) creatures have a few Wound levels, e.g. Minor Wound (x2), Major Wound, Unconscious/Dying, Dead.  If a character already has two Minor Wounds, he/she/it acquires a Major Wound.  If a character who already has a Major Wound sustains a Minor Wound, it takes up a Minor Wound slot; if none remain, the character continues to Unconscious/Dying.

2. Every weapon is rated based on the type of wound it causes: Minor, Major, Mortal (Dying), Fatal (instant Death).  "Non-lethal damage", e.g. fistfights, may have a slightly different scale, e.g. Dazed, Stunned, Unconscious (+Dead if things go really badly).

3. Characters must succeed in a Soak (?) percentile roll to downgrade the wound level.  E.g. if a weapon causes Major wounds, a simple success will downgrade it to Minor, and a critical downgrades it to Scratch (minor penalty, disappears after one round, can take as many as necessary) but no further.  Penalties due to wounds (or Scratches) affect the Soak roll, so multiple wounds (or multiple Scratches in the same round) cand send a character sliding down the wound chart.

4. Larger and smaller creatures have bonuses/penalties to Soak, up to and including automatic success levels like Mastery levels in HeroQuest.  The equivalent to Mastery for creatures and weapons may be called "Scale": a weapon that causes Major wounds to humans may cause Minor wounds to elephants, but an Elephant Gun would cause Major wounds to elephants (and Mortal wounds to lesser beings).  Two kaiju may deal Minor wounds to each other, but at Scale 5 they do Fatal + 2 damage (a.k.a. chunky salsa) damage to humans.

5. Armor helps the Soak roll similarly to size (and in the case of high-tech armor Scale).

Again, this is off the top of my head.  The big questions are 1) how do you derive Soak and 2) does it increase like a skill or is it fixed based on SIZ and CON.

• Like 2

Frank

"Welcome to the hottest and fastest-growing hobby of, er, 1977." -- The Laundry RPG

One thing I like is in the new version of Delta Green that looks interesting (things might change once it goes out). But the HP is normal though once you get to 0, much like the Arkham Horror Dunwich expansion, you will gain some kind of tragic crippling wound. Going with something different than the HP is a tough one but I think that you can easily break up the HP by dividing it by 3 or 4 (as not too many HP in characters), every 3 or 4 points of HP loss represents a lucky strike or cumulative damage to one limb that just gets some kind of wound that needs to be treated more than just first aid. Something to try to see how it works.

French Nephilim second edition uses wound levels, but I don't exactly remember how those work.

As far as I remember, a character has 5 to 7 wound levels. The first 2 levels are just flesh wounds, and can be removed easily. Blows that deal less than 3 levels at once don't stack, precisely because those 2 first levels are not important. That is, if one suffers a 3 points wound, then a 4 points one, his current wound level is now 5 : 3 from the first blow, and 2 from the second.

So, based on the ideas I have gotten, here is what I think I would do:

If hit, then damage is rolled.  The damage is then reduced by some rating that combines maybe toughness and armor (if any).  If any damage gets through, each point does a level of wound.  It starts off with bruised, light wound, moderate wound, severe, incapacitated, death.  The one's digit determines the hit location.  Each location can take wounds.  Only head and torso can take a death wound.  An incapacitated arm, for example, would just be incapable of being used until healed. 

Wounds do not stack.  That is, two light wounds are just two light wounds.  In applying penalties, you just go with the highest wound.  So, a moderate wound and a light wound would be treated as a moderate wound. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, steamcraft said:

So, based on the ideas I have gotten, here is what I think I would do:

If hit, then damage is rolled.  The damage is then reduced by some rating that combines maybe toughness and armor (if any).  If any damage gets through, each point does a level of wound.  It starts off with bruised, light wound, moderate wound, severe, incapacitated, death.  The one's digit determines the hit location.  Each location can take wounds.  Only head and torso can take a death wound.  An incapacitated arm, for example, would just be incapable of being used until healed. 

Wounds do not stack.  That is, two light wounds are just two light wounds.  In applying penalties, you just go with the highest wound.  So, a moderate wound and a light wound would be treated as a moderate wound. 

I think I'd do something similar, but I'd keep "hit points" only as "fatigue points", quite like in RoleMaster. Once you lose all hit points, you're simply inconscious or unable to fight. After a fight, those hit points would recover quite quickly, but wounds would reduce their maximum amount.

I've been using a hitpointless combat system for my Swords of Cydoria campaign. There's a thread on this forum (referenced below).I haven't thoroughly play-tested it yet, though I have used it in one session successfully. Basically, during a fight you make a resistance roll vs damage and are either able to keep fighting, or not. It's not a new idea, but I'm hoping it will work in a pulpy guns and swords setting.