Has anyone done a BRP Wound System?

steamcraft

I did one one way, way back (before BRP Zero came out). I think it is still available in the downloads. Ironically, I wanted to use an Easy/Hard difficulty system for the rolls, like what they did in Twilight:2000, but went with multipliers because that is how things were done in RQ/BRP. Then BRP Zero came out and had a Easy/Hard difficulty system!

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

I mention HarnMaster a lot on these forums. It has a pretty interesting wound system which is well outlined here:

http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/9/9298.phtml

Here's a rough draft regarding how I would implement this in RuneQuest.

A character's Endurance is the average of CON+SIZ. This value determines an individual's threshold for pain and injury. Larger and more durable creatures take less severe injuries and are less likely to go into shock or fall unconscious when injured.  The table below outlines the severity of an injury based on damage rolled against a create of a certain CON/SIZ.

AVG(CON+SIZ)   Minor  Serious Grievous     Kill
      11         1+      5        13        17
      24         1+      7        17        23
      36         1+      8        19        26
      48         1+      9        21        29
      60         1+      10       23        32
      72         1+      11       25        35
      84         1+      12       27        38
      96         1+      13       29        41
     108         1+      14       31        44
Healing Rate  Days    Weeks   Months     Months
Condition Test   1       2        3         4*
Difficulty Test  -    Hard    Formidable Herculean**
* Initial test against a Killing blow. Else, treat as Grievous
** Skill tests in round that a killing blow was received. Else, treat as Grievous.

Each would heals separately. The original amount of damage should be recorded with the type of injury, to calculate the number of days, weeks, or months a particular injury requires to heal.

For example, and character with an average SIZ & CON of 13, would suffer a Serious injury if they are hit for more than 7 points of damage (after subtracting armor) and a Grievous injury if the damage exceeds 17 points. An injury with a chance to instantly kill the character would have to total 23 points or more after subtracting Armor.

A Condition test is made every time a character receives a new injury. This test is equal to a number of d6 equal to the total number of injuries received. Suffering three minor injuries, or one minor and one serious, would require a Condition test of 3d6. If this test exceeds the character's Endurance, then that character goes into shock and falls unconscious. A Killing Blow is just that ... a chance that a character is killed instantly. The first time a character receives a Killing Blow, 4 dice are rolled in addition to the sum of previous injuries. If the Character remains conscious, the injury is treated as a Grievous one after that initial test.

Difficult Test - this is a skill penalty applied to tests made by the character. Only the most severe penalty applies.

Alternative:

For granularity, use hit locations and modify the would thresholds up or down depending on the hit location. The table above assumes a chest wound. The threshold between minor and serious would be smaller for a head injury and smaller still for an arm injury.

If you choose to get rid of hit locations all together, I would not randomize armor protection. The system is already pretty deadly. Let combat special effects indicate when a blow has struck an unguarded area.

Edited by Harshax
code tags
  • Like 1

And don't forget Realism Rule # 1 "If you can do it in real life you should be able to do it in BRP". - Simon Phipp

21 minutes ago, steamcraft said:

That is interesting.  Do all of the additional dice rolls and checks slow the action down? 

HarnMaster attack resolution went like this:

1. Attacker Roll compared to Defender Roll to determine amount of damage to roll. Yes, the degree of success was much more important when calculating damage than the actual weapon in HarnMaster.

2. Roll d100 to determine Hit Location.

3. Damage Roll + Weapon Aspect - Armor determined the wound level. HarnMaster had 16 major Hit Locations. With the Face having six sub-locations if that level of detail was desired.

4. Injured character makes a Endurance check

You can see the entire combat table for HarnMaster here: http://www.columbiagames.com/resources/4001/harnmaster-combattables.pdf

Overall, this method seems to net 1 additional roll over the existing RQ Method:

1. Attacker Roll compared to Defender Roll

2. Hit Location Determined

3. Damage Rolled - Armor = Injury.

4. Apply effect of injury ... (major wound, bleed out, unconscious, etc)

And don't forget Realism Rule # 1 "If you can do it in real life you should be able to do it in BRP". - Simon Phipp

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/25/2016 at 3:09 PM, steamcraft said:

I went looking through the description of most of the downloads.  I didn't notice anything that looked like it was a wound system.  Is it part of something else? 

No, but I can't find it either! It looks like all my uploads have vanished. Probably lost when Triff updated his software, or something. Most of my old uploads were obsolete anyway. But I think I still have the original version of my would system on a hard drive somewhere. 

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.