Att: Triff - Name Change Request

threedeesix

Please rename this forum page RuneQuest 6 and re-name it when the Design Mechanism releases the new name of their flagship product. Then create a new forum page for RuneQuest Glorantha.

Sorry Trif, I know this will mean pulling lots of threads that pertain to RQG and moving them. But this forum page was originally set up to cover the Design Mechanisms product and no one will be able to find the numerous threads that it already contains for the Design Mechanism's products by this time next year. That includes all of the existing threads for Classic Fantasy, Chronicles of Future Earth, Luther Arkwright, Mythic Britain, Shores of Korantia, The Taskan Empire, and Monster Island, just to scratch the surface. You go back to even page 2 and all of the posts pertain to RQ6.

Rod

Edited by threedeesix
  • Like 8

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

"D100 - Exactly 5 times better than D20"

18 hours ago, threedeesix said:

Please rename this forum page RuneQuest 6 and re-name it when the Design Mechanism releases the new name of their flagship product. Then create a new forum page for RuneQuest Glorantha.

Sorry Trif, I know this will mean pulling lots of threads that pertain to RQG and moving them. But this forum page was originally set up to cover the Design Mechanisms product and no one will be able to find the numerous threads that it already contains for the Design Mechanism's products by this time next year. That includes all of the existing threads for Classic Fantasy, Chronicles of Future Earth, Luther Arkwright, Mythic Britain, Shores of Korantia, The Taskan Empire, and Monster Island, just to scratch the surface. You go back to even page 2 and all of the posts pertain to RQ6.

Rod

A split is going to happen, but not yet. I've asked Loz about it, and he wants to wait until they announce their system under the new name. Currently they still hold a valid license for the RuneQuest name. 

• Like 2

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

I'm going to be a contradictory voice in this. I think the folder should remain RQ, as a quick scan shows plenty of discussion of RQ2 and RQ3, as well as discussion of ALL editions. And I suspect there will be plenty of rules discussions for the new version of RuneQuest later this year.

I'd recommend that the new Design Mechanism game should get its own folder under its own name.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jeff said:

I'm going to be a contradictory voice in this. I think the folder should remain RQ, as a quick scan shows plenty of discussion of RQ2 and RQ3, as well as discussion of ALL editions. And I suspect there will be plenty of rules discussions for the new version of RuneQuest later this year.

I'd recommend that the new Design Mechanism game should get its own folder under its own name.

But that was my point Jeff. Since 2012 this folder WAS the folder for the Design Mechanism's games. It was renamed only recently to RuneQuest Gateway. My point was that there needs to be two folders. And as there are 4 years of posts that pertain to the Design Mechanism's games in this folder, it would be easier for Trif to put this one back to what it was, and move the more recent posts to a "new" RuneQuest Gateway folder, that's all.

Rod

• Like 3

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

I would not divide the tribe by creating new forums etc. We could possibly have the name RQ Gateway and join to it the list: (Rq2,RQ3,RQ6,RQGlorantha,TheNewName...). Or add the list as subtitle...  Or keep the name just the same - it is supposed to be Gateway anyway - many compatible games.  The games are still very compatible and the tribe is small. 

Please do not split, it would feel like religious wars within factions no matter how it is put or it could feel like siloes for siloes sake... 

I would prefer that it not be split. That is not a demand, of course. I believe that many forums with name X that cover a number of rules editions/variants/etc may get focused on a particular version/edition/etc for a while due to it being the hottest/popular/etc topic. If this forum is RQ Gateway it is not intended to be just for one edition/variant of RuneQuest.

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

3 hours ago, Rick Meints said:

I would prefer that it not be split. That is not a demand, of course. I believe that many forums with name X that cover a number of rules editions/variants/etc may get focused on a particular version/edition/etc for a while due to it being the hottest/popular/etc topic. If this forum is RQ Gateway it is not intended to be just for one edition/variant of RuneQuest.

So how do we square this with "... BRP Central will continue to supporting discussions for the entire BRP family and this includes hosting subforums for the major non-Chaosium d100 systems." ?

A substantial number of threads in this forum are for what will shortly be a "non-Chaosium d100 system", from a usability point of view surely it would be better to have them in a separate area to the tsunamai of Gloranthan / CRQ / RQ7 stuff here? Or is the Design Mechanism's new game going to get shunted to a bare new sub-forum in "the Extended Family" and users who want material previously posted here more conveniently placed over there will have to manually move it themselves?

• Like 4

Wow, I'm actually shocked that this is being disagreed with.

In just a few short months RuneQuest 6 will no longer exist under that name. It will instead be using a new name not related to RuneQuest in any way. Legend, Magic World, Open Quest, Revolution, and many more have folders that can easily be found. Why does the soon to be renamed Design Mechanism game have to be relegated to a folder that a year from now a new player will not even know it has anything to do with?

Rod

• Like 4

I think it is reasonable that the RuneQuest forum remains the RuneQuest forum. This subforum has, after all, existed before The Design Mechanism did. Legend also has its own subforum even though it used to be known as RuneQuest II. Changing the RQ forum to Legend would be similar to changing it to whatever the new version of what was RQ6 will be named.

For what it is worth I'd much rather they be split.

I don't want to have to dig through the new RQ version and Glorantha stuff to find the formerly RQ6 posts.

To put it bluntly, I don't want to spend more time figuring out which posts are relevant than I do reading the posts that are.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, smjn said:

I think it is reasonable that the RuneQuest forum remains the RuneQuest forum. This subforum has, after all, existed before The Design Mechanism did. Legend also has its own subforum even though it used to be known as RuneQuest II. Changing the RQ forum to Legend would be similar to changing it to whatever the new version of what was RQ6 will be named.

Here's the thing - this has only become "the RuneQuest (Chaosium game focused on Glorantha) forum" recently. It was for quite some time specifically the DM's RQ6 forum, and a LOT of the historical content in this particular forum is DM / RQ6 specific. Of the 209 threads in this sub forum all bar the first two pages are overwhelmingly RQ6 / Design Mechanism related (include RQ6 close relatives MRQ2 & Legend and its even more the case).

Leaving those first two pages here, renaming this as "Chaosium's RuneQuest", and relocating the rest of this sub-forum in to the Extended Family as tDMGFKaR ("The Design Mechanisms Game Formerly Known as RQ6") or whatever the official name ends up being strikes me as least disruptive and of greatest utility to most users.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, smjn said:

I think it is reasonable that the RuneQuest forum remains the RuneQuest forum. This subforum has, after all, existed before The Design Mechanism did.

This is not the truth. The very first post of this subforum is the announcement that The Design Mechanism had been born and that it would create RuneQuest 6.

Now, I think that it is up to TDM to decide whether and when to split, and Trif has reported their decision. So the forum might remain "as is" for some more time. And in the end this particular folder might still remain alive as "the folder for all editions of RuneQuest". Why not? They are all RQ after all. But this folder was created originally as the place to discuss that particular edition of RuneQuest. There is no doubt about this fact.

23 minutes ago, NickMiddleton said:

strikes me as least disruptive and of greatest utility to most users.

I am afraid that Nick has a point here: we should also think about users who want to find information about the game. Just imagine one year from now a person asking a question on no-longer-RQ6 and being directed to a Chaosium forum "because at the time we gave that answer the game was published under another brand". While this is perfectly reasonable from the publisher's POV, it is quite confusing for the poor little gamer.

Sometimes making split sections for different editions of a game is not a result of Edition Wars, but a simple matter of "user friendliness".

• Like 1

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

My view is clear, I hope. A split will be made at the appropriate time, which is when the RQ license reverts to Moon Design and there's a need to clearly distinguish between  our rebranded rules and the next RQ edition. That time is a few months away, and so there is no need to effect a split. I think this part of the board accommodates all versions of RQ pretty well, and there is ample time to work out a migration plan.

• Like 2

The Design Mechanism: Publishers of Mythras

DM logo Freeforums Icon.png

2 hours ago, NickMiddleton said:

Leaving those first two pages here, renaming this as "Chaosium's RuneQuest", and relocating the rest of this sub-forum in to the Extended Family as tDMGFKaR ("The Design Mechanisms Game Formerly Known as RQ6") or whatever the official name ends up being strikes me as least disruptive and of greatest utility to most users.

Did anybody suggest this forum be named Chaosium RuneQuest? I did not and I don't think anybody did. I figured it would remain free for discussing any edition of RQ, not just the latest. And I'm not so sure about the distruption. Most people would propably find what they're looking for and if not, others would point them to the correct location.

13 hours ago, Rick Meints said:

If you don't want all the posts related to TDM's game to be split out, perhaps the solution would be to continue to allow TDM's game to be called Runequest so that it still made sense for them to be in a subforum called Runequest. If, however, it has a new name, it only makes sense for it to split out into an appropriately named subforum and take any related posts with it.

Edited by Baulderstone
  • Like 5

The RuneQuest Gateway forum contains threads discussing RQ6 mechanics and supplements and threads discussing other editions and general BRP/RQ threads. Luckily there ain't that many pages of it, so I should be able to pull just the RQ6 specific threads when DM launches RQ6 under a new name. BUT we'll deal with this when that time comes. 

• Like 3

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

Another option would be sub-forums here, at least for a time.

One for The Game Formerly Known As RQ6, which would be this forum, renamed. The other would be for the new Chaosium RQ, which would be fresh. Both of these could exist under the RQ Gateway for what... a year?

After said time was up, the subforum for TGFKARQ6 would be moved to the Extended Family, and the Chaosium RQ would become the RQ heading under the Chaosium Family.

SDLeary

• Like 1