Uz thread

Noita

2 hours ago, Iskallor said:

So...

Trolls and sun light. What's the go?

Do they wander about in it or do they just go out at night? Does it hurt or damage them?

Depends upon the species of troll. Cave trolls can't tolerate sun light - it hurts them; trollkin dislike and avoid it - it demoralizes them. In fact, most trolls avoid sunlight if they can, but dark trolls can tolerate it if they have to. Trolls are always more comfortable at night and in the dark when their darksense also provides them with an advantage.

Uzko approach sunlight the way most humans would approach a cold, heavy rain. It is unpleasant, but not really damaging. In fact, they will dress for sun much the same way humans dress for rain - big hats, heavy coats, and trying to get under cover whenever possible.

Male trolls may make a point of going out in the sunlight under-dressed to show how tough they are, but most will avoid it whenever possible. Uz are prone to sunburn and heatstroke, and have a lower basic comfort temperature than humans, so a moderately warm day by human standards is downright Hot for trolls. 

The sun is also a primary and terrible mythic enemy of the uz, and they Hate it. Its touch feels creepy and wrong. Many Uz will have clan or personal taboos about sunlight, which could require avoiding it entirely, or always facing the sunset to hurl abuse at the fleeing enemy, or even seeking it out and maintaining a constant sunburn to remind themselves of the sun's evil.

• Like 1

Wasn't Kyger Litor part of the Great Compromise?  I had understood that not only Time, but the day/night cycle, was part of the Compromise.

As such, I'd think overtly disrespecting the Sun in the sky would be tantamount to disrespecting Kyger Litor's honor...  which would be tantamount to suicide, for most Uz...

C'es ne pas un .sig

The compromise isn't about friendship, but about grudging toleration. The Solars don't have to like the fact that the sun isn't in the night sky, and the uz don't need to be happy about either being tormented by the unbearable brightness of Yelm or knowing that he keeps devastating their former paradise every night.

Kyger Litor's honor (as far as that is relevant to uz society, as opposed to her hunger or her fertility) demands revenge on the Bright One who damaged her womb, reducing her fertility once more - the first such damage was when dead Brightface caused the Mistress race to give birth to the stunted uzko.

Uzko doesn't translate as dark troll, but as hurt troll or burnt troll. And referring to a thread in the Glorantha group over on G+, maybe part of the hurt was the loss of all shape adjustment for the males, and much of it for the females of the uzko: https://plus.google.com/u/0/108824867722453475707

Luckily the previous experience of Zorak Zoran with Aether inside Gata's womb gave them a viable though somewhat hurtful template to reform. There was no such template when D'Wargon invaded the Black Eater, resulting in the parody of uzness that the enlo are.

Edited by Joerg
honor

Telling how it is excessive verbis

There are a few at Bigglestone. There's a secret Gorrakki shrine down on the Mosquito coast. Trolls fight chaos, so the Block, Krjali Bog, chaos box, and the other chaos areas around the plateau of statues are likely to attract a few parties now and then. Trolls are generally avoide by Praxians, but those in the Shadow People society or Khans who have done the Task of Waha and Dark Eater won't have this problem and may even be friendly. 

• Like 1

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

How much is water/thirst an issue for a troll or trollkin presence in the wastes? I am still thinking about a heroic rebel trollkin civilization somewhere remote if a troll society should decide to get rid of those weaklings.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

Regarding sunlight sensitivity , Troll Pack / Uz Lore said (p27):
"To surface dwellers clothing is necessary. Exposure to light makes uz skin peel and flake mercilessly.
...In sunny regions they use wide-brimmed hats for maximum shade.
...But protuding ears are quite sensitive to light, and only a few hours exposure will cause serious discomfort."

Handsome males avoid it to remain handsome - suntan isn't fashionable among the Uz ;-)

And to Uzko, ideal temperature is : 30 to 60°F i.e. -1°C to 16°C.
So adding around 15°C to the actual temperature gives you an idea of how uncomfortably hot it is for an Uzko...

• Like 2

UzUz in my games are normally cloaked in shadow on the rare times that they venture into the sunlight. While pregnant, they remain in Subere's Darkness, where no light has ever shone, just in case.

Hot Trolls are not affected by daylight and are comfortable in the jungle sunlight.

Cave trolls and trollkin are affected, as stated above.

Uzko and Uzdo are not affected by sunlight. Whether they mind it or not depends on the GM, I suppose. I play that they are as happy in sunlight as humans are in the dark.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here