D&D 4th edition rules and what we can learn from them...

AikiGhost

I find it interesting that the more D20 products are being put out, there's this major urge for gamers to go back to the beginning of D&D. Chaos and Catacombs is another sign of this.

I'm noticing more and more game companies are advertising how simple their games are in comparison to other games (mostly D&D) while allowing for the same flavor of rpging, while also allowing for much more flexible character creation rules. Since there's such a push for 'back to the basics' simplicity and 'create THE character YOU want to play' style of gameplay, I have to agree that 4.0 may very well be going in the wrong direction. But it could also be that I notice the types of games mentioned above, more, as they are the kind I'm most interested in.

Like an employee at my FLGS said, the 4.0 rules seem to be derived from how people like to play at conventions. Which could mean that the focus is too narrow. Plus, he was of the opinion that all gaming is going to strategy gaming, anyway, so that's the reason they are stocking so few rpgs anymore. But that could be more of a local thing, than anything.

Plus, he was of the opinion that all gaming is going to strategy gaming, anyway, so that's the reason they are stocking so few rpgs anymore.

There is sometimes a kind of "self-fulfilling prophecy" at work.

We once had two shops here, and the owner of one of them (originally a true

RPG shop) was convinced that the age of roleplaying games was over, and

that people now wanted to buy tabletops, miniatures and trading card games.

He acted accordingly, reduced the number of RPGs available, and as a result

those people who wanted to buy RPGs soon all went to the other shop (origi-

nally a fantasy and science fiction bookshop), whose owner told me that he

was convinced that the number of people buying RPGs was growing steadily,

and who therefore expanded his stock of RPGs very quickly.

Today we still have those two shops, one selling no more RPGs because the

people are no longer buying RPGs, one selling lots of RPGs because more and

more people want to buy RPGs.

And both shop owners simply refuse to believe my explanation of what had

happened, because their experiences prove that this cannot be true - one

remains convinced that RPGs do not sell anymore, the other remains convin-

ced that the number of RPG players is growing rapidly... :D

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

• 1 year later...

Anyone who was able to read the whole list without giving up, make a SAN roll. If you fail, you lose 1d100 sanity. If you lose 20% of your current SAN, you go permanently insane and preorder D&D 4th edition instead of Deluxe BRP. If your SAN drops to 0, you are insane beyond cure, and also burn all of your BRP stuff in sacrifice to the Great Old Ones of the Coast.

(Armor Class 50 - OMG :shocked:)

you mean you pre-order 4.5th edition right:)

D&D vesion 4 is Evil...pure EVIL<g>! I have played D&D in one form since it first came out some 34+yrs ago and REFUSE to purchase yet another version of the darn game. I have stopped with D&D version 3.5 d20, and have continued to buy Pathfinders revised rules set version 3.5.1 d20. I will continue to buy there stuff, but am coming to see that I should just convert to using BRP since many of my own House Rules come from BRP anyway. I might as just make the total conversion over anyway.

Penn

Old time RPGer of +34 yrs, player/DM/GM.

I, like you feel the same way about the latest incarnation of DnD. I still have played the first 3, but running more and more BRP. I have pulled out all my old BRP stuff and guess what, with only Minor Mods can still run them ( except Penddragon, maybe). I have the new Book, but am slow on picking up the the new stuff, as I have and am converting alot to BRP already. A player has been perusing my Old Other Suns stuff and might Mod That soon. I am slowy converting Space Opera over as well.

Hello there "rpgstarwizard" and cool nickname as well too. Yes D&D v 4 does seem to be more about changing trying to "level" the field and make everyone "fare" and "equal" and all that stuff! I guess even RPGs are tring to be Politically Correct too...it makes me sick.

I love to slap many beliefs in the face as often as I can, taunt those special cases and etc. Sometimes even religion get taunted and beat on alot too. My main religion is a knock-off of Christianity, with many of the worse points added in for fun like paying gold to have their sins to be forgiven<VBG>!!! Don't get me started, I have tons of fun with the "Church". many of the Pesants still believe in the old ways or gods too,hmmm I wonder why...LMAO!!! Then there is always Ullrick the "Fallen One" that is pure EVIL to the One True God UND that the "church" is based off of. Saints, Angels, and Demons ...ohh my!!!

Penn

Old time RPGer of +34 yrs, player/DM/GM.